/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Doodling 'may help memory recall'

Uthman
02-28-2009, 09:55 AM

Doodling could help the mind remain alert during dull tasks

Doodling may look messy, but it could in fact be a sign of an alert mind, a study suggests.

Plymouth University researchers carried out memory tests on 40 volunteers, asking them to listen to a phone call and recall names and places.

Doodlers performed 29% better than non-doodlers, the team found.

Experts said doodling stopped people from daydreaming, which was a more taxing diversion, and so was good at helping people focus on mundane tasks.

During the study, half of the volunteers were asked to colour in shapes on a piece of paper while they listened to a 2.5 minute telephone message.

The other half were left to their own devices while they listened. Both groups were told the message would be dull, the Applied Cognitive Psychology journal reported.

Daydreaming distracts them from the task, resulting in poor performance

Jackie Andrade, lead researcher

Afterwards, both groups were asked to write down eight specific names and eight places mentioned.

The doodlers on average recalled 7.5, while the non-doodlers only managed 5.8.

Lead researcher Jackie Andrade said: "If someone is doing a boring task, like listening to a dull telephone conversation, they may start to daydream.

"Daydreaming distracts them from the task, resulting in poor performance.

"A simple task, like doodling, may be sufficient to stop daydreaming without affecting performance on the main task."

Professor Alan Badeley, from the British Psychological Society, said: "Doodling is a relatively undemanding task so this makes sense.

"The temptation during meetings or telephone conversations that you are not particularly engaged with is to start thinking about things. You visualise things such as holidays.

"That then takes you away from the task at hand. Or you may even end up nodding off.

"However, by comparison, doodling is not that taxing and keeps you more alert so you are more likely to absorb what is being said."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sahabiyaat
02-28-2009, 09:57 AM
cool :D i doodle more than i write in lecs...i think this applies to most students (with the exception of geeks)

Al-Zaara
02-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Haha, I do that. But didn't know it's called 'doodling'. A new word for me. :D

format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
cool :D i doodle more than i write in lecs...i think this applies to most students (with the exception of geeks)
Hey!!

Sahabiyaat
02-28-2009, 10:01 AM
:embarrass oops i should not say that...LI is after all 90 % geeks :giggling: (determined from the thread, asking what our top grades are lol)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The Ruler
03-29-2009, 02:45 PM
So this justifies my 'doodling' on the desk when I have no paper at hand, right? Awesome.

Cabdullahi
03-29-2009, 02:50 PM
i etched on the lecture room table ''respect the wombs that bore you'' it took me half an hour to do it,as soon as the lecturer turned away to write on the board i did a bit until i finished,my friend was keeping a look out

Mysterious Uk
03-29-2009, 02:58 PM
oh well that's a relief, my pages are more doodle that notes. So that's good, i will carry on doodling without feeling guilty.

Muezzin
04-01-2009, 08:15 PM
I once doodled through the entire back half of a Geography exercise book in secondary school.

Then they started inspecting your books before they gave you new ones, to make sure you weren't just wasting paper.

So it was just as well I doodled in pencil.

My uni notes are similarly decorated. Except nobody has to inspect them but me. So I used whatever I darnwell pleased.

Raudha
04-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Woow!!so it is true...I always used to watch a girl sitting next to me draw patterns all over her paper and wondered how she turned out to be the same person asking questions that were way above our heads at the end of the lecture :X

SouljahOfAllah
04-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Doodling is like my life :S when ever im bored i always go to pen and paper and dodle, i dont think about it i just let the pen go, and sometimes it turnes out to be a really amazing picture, and when i try to copy it... it just doesnt work :S

Uthman
04-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Who doodles more? Girls or boys?

Musaafirah
04-02-2009, 09:04 PM
What if you doodle AND daydream?
Is that indicative of some sort of mental imbalance then?
Have no idea bout who doodles more though.

Silver
04-03-2009, 07:42 AM
If I'm bored in class I don't doodle, I sleep on the desk or talk with the one sitting next to me...
But when I am studying, I doodle to stay focused. It really does help...

SouljahOfAllah
04-03-2009, 08:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Who doodles more? Girls or boys?
Girls :D lol i dont know we should have a poll about it inshallah

Uthman
04-03-2009, 04:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SouljahOfAllah
Girls :D lol i dont know we should have a poll about it inshallah
Good idea. I added a poll!

Good signature btw.

nebula
04-03-2009, 05:35 PM
i thought doodling was when a person gets doo'py and spit starts dropping from their mouth lol

anyway i never really get a chance to doodle as im taking computing courses... so we barely use a pen and paper. :( i used to be a good one tho :smile:

Nájlá
04-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Now thats cool.

u dont wanna see my books its full of doodles.

SouljahOfAllah
04-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Good idea. I added a poll!

Good signature btw.
Jazakhulahu khiran

see i told u girls doodle more :bump1: <-- thats so cool

~Raynn~
04-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Lol...my doodling doesn't go much beyond random squiggly lines, but there are guys in my class who spend entire lessons drawing animé - although they might find it a little demeaning for these to be classified as mere "doodles" - putting that much effort into what you're drawing can't really help your concentration!?

format_quote Originally Posted by nebula
i thought doodling was when a person gets doo'py and spit starts dropping from their mouth lol
:giggling: Drooling...that can happen in class too, if it's just boring enough...

Uthman
04-05-2009, 04:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SouljahOfAllah
see i told u girls doodle more
It certainly seems that way!

SouljahOfAllah
04-05-2009, 07:17 PM
It certainly seems that way!
or its just that we have more women on the forum than men, or more women in the thread than men :D

Al-Layl
04-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Hmm interesting...

I doodle when I'm on the phone, and sometimes while in a lecture...

Yanal
04-07-2009, 02:03 AM
You shouldve told me earlier I had a French test and my teacher told me to doodle just to past time or put my head down,like most people who don't know about this thread I chose to put my head down <_< couldve gotten a higher mark.

Woodrow
04-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Doodling is a great memory aid. With a bit of conscious effort doodling can become a tactile form of mnemonics and multiply a persons memorization ability considerably.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.