/* */

PDA

View Full Version : dyeing the beard

innocent
03-01-2009, 01:53 PM
My husband wants to keep a beard but hes reluctant because its grey in places. He's always had grey hairs even before we got married. Can he dye his beard with normal dye that you get from the chemist or does it have to be with henna?
Jazakalla khair.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Amat Allah
03-01-2009, 02:24 PM
yes my dear precious sister he can dyes his beard with any color he wants but changing grey hair by dyeing it black is haraam. This is the opinion of the majority of scholars, who forbid it completely, because of the hadeeth of the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), when he saw Abu Quhaafah. Jaabir said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him_ said, when he saw his head looking as white as the thaghaamah plant, “Change this…” (Narrated by Muslim, 2102).

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: There are people who dye their hair black like the crops of pigeons; they will never smell the fragrance of Paradise.” (Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4212; al-Nasaa’i, 5075).

And Allah knows the best

may Allah grant u and ur family the highest levels of paradise with out being reckoning Ameeeeeeeeeeeen

doorster
03-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqui says:
It is allowed to colour the grey hair. The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said to Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him) when he saw his father with a very white beard, he told him to ask his father to colour it with Henna. So it is permissible to do dye the beard with Henna or even with a black colour.
what I actually believe to be wrong is to try to dress mutton as lamb, trying to deceive people in to believing that you are younger than your actual age (except in warlike emergency to bluff the enemy)

If a man is advanced in age with white hair and a beard, it would hardly be appropriate for him to dye his hair black. On the day of the conquest of Makkah, Abu Bakr brought his aged father, Abu Quhafah, carrying him until he had him seated in front of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). On seeing Abu Quhafah's snow-white hair, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, 'Change this, but avoid black.' (Fath Al-Bari)
but
In contrast, if a man is not of such advanced age or feebleness as that of Abu Quhafah, there is no harm in his using black dye. In this regard, Az-Zuhri said, 'We dyed our hair black when the face looked young, but discarded it when the face became wrinkled and the teeth decayed.' (Reported by Ibn Abu `Asim in the book on 'Dyeing the Hair')

Snowflake
03-05-2009, 09:23 AM
He can dye it dark brown. But he should avoid using chemical dyes as they will damage his beard (permanent hair dye has also been linked to cancer of the bladder). Google for natural hair colourants inshaAllah. Personally I always have found a bit of grey in a man's hair gives him an air of distinction and maturity. I find that a very appealing feature.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.