/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Somali leader agrees Sharia law

Uthman
03-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Somalia's President Sharif Sheikh Ahmed has agreed to a truce and the introduction of Sharia law to try to defuse clashes with tribal leaders.

The deal came after talks between the Somali government and its clan opponents, and mediation by regional religious leaders.

The government has been in clashes with the Islamist group al-Shabaab, which has links to al-Qaeda.

Sheikh Sharif, a former moderate rebel leader, was elected only last month.

The agreement has yet to be passed by Somalia's parliament, but the president said there was no problem from the government's side if people wanted to be governed by Sharia law.

Heavy fighting

"The mediators asked me to introduce Islamic Sharia in the country and I agreed," Sheikh Sharif told reporters.

The truce comes after militants fought government and African Union forces in clashes which killed at least 30 people in the last few days.

Al-Shabaab recently seized the town of Baidoa, which had been the seat of the Somali parliament.

The Islamist militia has declared Sharia law in the town, and parliament now works from neighbouring Djibouti.

Some 16,000 civilians have been killed in the recent conflict and a million more have been forced from their homes.

The Horn of Africa country has not had an effective central government since 1991.

Source (BBC News)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Dawud_uk
03-02-2009, 06:42 AM
:sl:

so the bbc has gone from reporting an american allegation of a link, to saying reportedly linked to now saying linked, its going to be like the demonisation of the taliban all over again.

also, if this shariah law has to be ratified by a parliament how can it be shariah law? shariah law is when Allah's word is most high, but here the case is man is saying yes or no to shariah law so this is not the case.

i hope Sheikh ahmed changes his way but he seems to be going the way of moderates before him, compromising so much there is nothing left that is recognisable as the deen.

:sl:

Intisar
03-02-2009, 07:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
i hope Sheikh ahmed changes his way but he seems to be going the way of moderates before him, compromising so much there is nothing left that is recognisable as the deen.
His name is Sheikh Shareef akhi. And also, I think they should give him a chance inshaa'Allaah as long as he wants to agree to having shareeah in Somalia then it's a step right? Inshaa'Allaah him and the Al-Shabab party can come to agreement and stop the violence. 20 years has been more than enough.

Dawud_uk
03-02-2009, 07:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameena*
His name is Sheikh Shareef akhi. And also, I think they should give him a chance inshaa'Allaah as long as he wants to agree to having shareeah in Somalia then it's a step right? Inshaa'Allaah him and the Al-Shabab party can come to agreement and stop the violence. 20 years has been more than enough.
inshallah the various factions will resolve their differences and i do agree that it is better than nothing, better than the lawlessness that seems to be the norm over much of the south there, may Allah swt help them all live under true islamic rule, ameen.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
03-02-2009, 07:42 AM
may Allah swt help them all live under true islamic rule, ameen.
Ameen.

And that can only happen when we establish a Khilafah, right?

:w:

Pomak
03-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Have you thought for a second that to change a law you need to go before parliament? You know what the other system is called? Its called a dictatorship.

And we need more of those in the muslim world, don't we?....

Intisar
03-02-2009, 07:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pomak
Have you thought for a second that to change a law you need to go before parliament? You know what the other system is called? Its called a dictatorship.

:sl: Somalia is corrupted, we had a dictator and he basically sparked this ongoing 20 year old civil war.

As for this ''parliament'' that you speak of; what parliament? The same ''parliament'' members that participated in the mass killings of Somalis during 91-92? Yes, of course those same parliament members would be all for sharee'ah law. :smile:

As a Somali the only way for my country to move forward is through a forced government, preferably sharee'ah law. There was relative peace and stability, 6 months exactly, from the ICU. So of course the Somali people, well the residents of Mogadishu (Somalia's capital) are for shareeah and are tired of civil unrest.

I don't support Al-Shabab at all, but if they can come to an agreement with Shareef for the greater good of the Somali people then alhamdulilah.

The people of (central) Somalia are tired, they need peace.

Dawud_uk
03-02-2009, 10:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pomak

subhanallah, get these secular terminologies out of your head, the islamic system is not democracy, democracy is the rule of the people, islam is the rule of Allah, they are not compatable.

Dawud_uk
03-02-2009, 10:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Ameen.

And that can only happen when we establish a Khilafah, right?

:w:
partially, can we have an islamic state without a khlifate? then yes we can have an amirate but the islamic system will never be complete without a khalif but we can get pretty close with most of the aspects in place.

Dawud_uk
03-02-2009, 10:23 AM
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/af...498433881.html

Somali 'rebels' reject ceasefire

Hizbul Islam, a coalition of groups fighting Somali government forces and African Union peacekeepers, has said it has rejected a ceasefire offer from Somalia's new president.

Muse Abdi Arale, a spokesman for the group, said on Sunday that reports of a ceasefire plan between his group and Somalia's government were "baseless," the AFP news agency reported.

"We will attack the enemy and their stooges anytime we want," Arale said.

Sharif Ahmed, the president of Somalia, announced on Saturday that he had agreed to proposals for a truce with the leading rebel group and had offered to accept the implementation of Sharia, or Islamic law, in the country.

"I met with religious leaders and elders and accepted their demand for ceasefire and reconciliation with the opposition members, and I call on all opposition parties to halt the unnecessary violence," Ahmed said.

Renewed fighting

Arale said his group had met with the mediators but only discussed plans for a partial withdrawal of rebel fighters.

Sunday's rejection comes a day after Omar Abdirahsid Sharmarke, the Somali prime minister, led the inaugural session of the new government in Mogadishu, Somalia's capital.

It also follows renewed heavy fighting in Mogadishu between opposition fighters and government and African Union forces.

At least 49 civilians were killed in the clashes in the capital, the independent Elman Human Rights Organisation has said.

Hizbul Islam is against the presence of AU troops in Somalia and has said it will battle them until they leave the country.
looks like the bbc jumped the gun on this story, this means not only ash-shabaab but also the other mujahideen groups are all still united in opposing the president and fighting the govt there until such time as the AU forces leave and full shariah is implimented.

Uthman
03-02-2009, 10:24 AM
^^ JazakAllah Khayr.

Regarding Islam and Democracy, I recommend the following talk by Abdur-Raheem Green:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8kBSPdCtQc

Dawud_uk
03-02-2009, 10:27 AM
^^ JazakAllah Khayr.

Regarding Islam and Democracy, I recommend the following talk by Abdur-Raheem Green:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8kBSPdCtQc
heard that one i think, mashallah the brother has a clear head on this issue, so many people dont understand the underlying reality of democracy.

now we can have shura, but shura is not democracy it is very different.

Uthman
03-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Indeed. There is also a common fallacy that the only alternative to a Western democracy is necessarily a tyrannical dictatorship. That is so not true and Islamic history proves it, does it not?

Dawud_uk
03-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Indeed. There is also a common fallacy that the only alternative to a Western democracy is necessarily a tyrannical dictatorship. That is so not true and Islamic history proves it, does it not?
i agree, well to a degree.

for example, if the righteous choose a ruler, like what happened in afghanistan under the taliban then such rule will appear tyranical to the evil people in society as it prevents them from their evils they see as freedoms.

Uthman
03-02-2009, 10:51 AM
for example, if the righteous choose a ruler, like what happened in afghanistan under the taliban then such rule will appear tyranical to the evil people in society as it prevents them from their evils they see as freedoms.
Good point.

Islam does allow leeway for certain aspects of democracy insofar as it allows, for example, for an elected ruler. Isn't that right?

Dr. Nazreen Nawaz from HT said that anyway in the following clip:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=G0E06f...eature=related

Pomak
03-02-2009, 12:01 PM
subhanallah, get these secular terminologies out of your head, the islamic system is not democracy, democracy is the rule of the people, islam is the rule of Allah, they are not compatable.
Sorry i follow (other)scholars.

Intisar
03-02-2009, 06:03 PM
:sl: Please stick to the topic insha'Allaah.

Amadeus85
03-02-2009, 10:24 PM
With the imposing the Divine System on the country there is a problem whom to blame in a time of crisis or failure. The Divine Law? Similar things hapenned in Afghanistan few years ago,talebans under the banner of Divine Law turned the life there 1000 years back. Same now hapenns in taliban provinces of Pakistan.

aamirsaab
03-02-2009, 10:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
With the imposing the Divine System on the country there is a problem whom to blame in a time of crisis or failure. The Divine Law?
Nope. Sharia law will only fail if it is implemented poorly/incorrectly. Thus, the blame goes to those implementing it and not the law itself. Same thing with any law system. Democracy for instance is not any better nor worse than a dictatorship (it depends on the social climate amongst other things as to which one is best)

Similar things hapenned in Afghanistan few years ago,talebans under the banner of Divine Law turned the life there 1000 years back. Same now hapenns in taliban provinces of Pakistan.
Erm, I think you will fine Divine Law (by this I take it you mean sharia law) is compatible with ALL times. In fact, it's actually better in every way than modern law systems (economically, politically, envrionmentally etc). Implementing sharia law does not make you travel back in time.

There's no law in the Qur'an/sunnah or hadith about having to live in caves or ride on a camel to work (though, camels do have a lower carbon emission rating than cars and caves do offer a more cash friendly alternative to humble abodes....don't look at me like that, I'm just saying!)

Cabdullahi
03-03-2009, 10:56 AM
I want success for somalia but world elite have other idea's and plans especially now that the people of swat valley in pakistan are implementing shariah law and now too somalia is following suit this only angers america.....but inshallah we will win

Pomak
03-03-2009, 11:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
With the imposing the Divine System on the country there is a problem whom to blame in a time of crisis or failure. The Divine Law? Similar things hapenned in Afghanistan few years ago,talebans under the banner of Divine Law turned the life there 1000 years back. Same now hapenns in taliban provinces of Pakistan.
I am no fan of the Talibs, but they didn't bring anyone back in time. Afghanistan was pretty stuffed before they got there.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.