/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is scampi halal?

innocent
03-02-2009, 05:36 PM
I had it at a restaurant but as its fish I didnt think anythink of it. But later I thought what type of fish is it? Is it halal?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
YusufNoor
03-02-2009, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by innocent
I had it at a restaurant but as its fish I didnt think anythink of it. But later I thought what type of fish is it? Is it halal?

:sl:

most Islamic schools of thought classify shrimp as halaal, HOWEVER, Scampi is usually made with wine, which is NOT halaal.

you CAN make it with grapejuice, or Matinellis, but most restaurants use wine.

:w:

Musaafirah
03-02-2009, 08:55 PM
^^WHAT?!! (Not said in an angry manner, but merely in an 'I-CAN'T-BELIEVE-IT!' tone...)
Where did you get that info from?
Aww man, now I'm worried...:uuh:

Whatsthepoint
03-02-2009, 08:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor

most Islamic schools of thought classify shrimp as halaal, HOWEVER, Scampi is usually made with wine, which is NOT halaal.

you CAN make it with grapejuice, or Matinellis, but most restaurants use wine.

Wine is just for the taste, the alcohol evaporates.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Musaafirah
03-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I found this:

Question:

I was wondering whether it is permissible to eat scampi according to the Hanafi school of Fiqh- is it Halal?
Answer:
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Walaikum assalam wa rahmatullah,

I pray that this finds you well, and in the best of health and spirits. May Allah grant you all good and success in this life and the next.

The term "scampi" is used for different things:

(a) in America (and sometimes elsewhere), "scampi" refers to a shrimp dish made with garlic butter. Given the permissibility of shrimp, according to the sounder position in the Hanafi school, this dish would be permitted. [ Please search SunniPath Answers (http://qa.**************) for related answers on shrimp or prawn. ]

(b) in much of Europe, "scampi" is used to refer to a type of lobster dish. Given the impermissibility of lobsters in the Hanafi school, this "scampi" would be impermissible.

However, Ustadha Zaynab Ansari points out the following important details:

"... but here in the US, especially in the popular Red Lobster seafood restaurants, shrimp scampi is made with garlic butter and white wine.

"Although Red Lobster's website doesn't mention it, if you go into the actual restaurant, the menu will tell you that the shrimp scampi is made with white wine.

"I've included a couple websites that feature shrimp scampi. Please note the use of white wine.
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...mpi44256.shtml
http://southernfood.about.com/od/shr...es/r/bln81.htm

Generally, when dining out, it pays for people to ask the food server what's in the recipe. You'd be amazed at the number of dishes that contain alcohol or pork, the latter being very prevalent here in the South." [End of Ustadha Zaynab's words]

And Allah alone gives success.

Faraz Rabbani
Source
What about store bought scampi? :?

جوري
03-02-2009, 09:42 PM
you can request scampi sans alcohol I have done so on many occasions, however some restaurants can;t comply because they usually have things done in advance.. the more expensive the restaurant the better they are complying because they usually make it right there and then.. now that being said, you should use the term 'allergic' to alcohol, chefs don't know any better and restaurants don't want to have law suits on their hand in case you really do have some weird unusual allergy as such..

Mikayeel
03-02-2009, 09:55 PM

lobster is not halaal ???:?:?

YusufNoor
03-03-2009, 01:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafirah
^^WHAT?!! (Not said in an angry manner, but merely in an 'I-CAN'T-BELIEVE-IT!' tone...)
Where did you get that info from?
Aww man, now I'm worried...:uuh:

was in the food business for a couple of decades!

just buy shrimp, peel them.

put a little butter or oil in a saute pan and add shrimp. add a nice portion of garlic. lay flat on one side. as the color of the shrimp turn from opaque white, turn them over. add a few ounces of white grape juice [this SHOULD cause quite a bit of steaming and finish cooking the shrimp.]

you can then take the shrimp out and add some diced tomatoes and green onions to the cooking liquid. add salt & pepper, finish off with a little whole butter [which thickens the sauce a little]

serve over rice or toss with pasta

no need to buy "store bought" scampi!

btw, chicken works well with this. and if you want a thick sauce for your pasta, you can add a little cream. just make sure your liquid has cooled a tad or else you might "break" the cream.

try it it's good!

just ask my wife!

-Elle-
03-03-2009, 02:22 AM
Wow, that sounds great^^^

I'm going to try it one day insh'Allah! Thanks:D

Musaafirah
03-03-2009, 05:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor

was in the food business for a couple of decades!

just buy shrimp, peel them.

put a little butter or oil in a saute pan and add shrimp. add a nice portion of garlic. lay flat on one side. as the color of the shrimp turn from opaque white, turn them over. add a few ounces of white grape juice [this SHOULD cause quite a bit of steaming and finish cooking the shrimp.]

you can then take the shrimp out and add some diced tomatoes and green onions to the cooking liquid. add salt & pepper, finish off with a little whole butter [which thickens the sauce a little]

serve over rice or toss with pasta

no need to buy "store bought" scampi!

btw, chicken works well with this. and if you want a thick sauce for your pasta, you can add a little cream. just make sure your liquid has cooled a tad or else you might "break" the cream.

try it it's good!

just ask my wife!

Jazakallah bro!
Insha'allah I'll try it out! (I'd rep ya, but apparently I've given too much out..)

saba muslimah
03-03-2009, 06:30 AM
Yuumyy... i also try...its HALAL food

Imam
03-15-2009, 11:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mikayeel

lobster is not halaal ???:?:?

peace...

Lobster and even cricket is halal..... according to the hadith

لحديث عن النبي –صلى الله عليه وسلم- قال: "أحلت لنا ميتتان ودمان فأما الميتتان فالجراد والحوت وأما الدمان في الطحال والكبد...." أخرجه الإمام أحمد (2/97) وابن ماجه (3314)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.