/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Cricket World In Shock At Sri Lankan Team Being Attacked In Pakistan

Güven
03-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Cricket World In Shock At Sri Lankan Team Being Attacked In Pakistan

The world of cricket is in shock following the attacks on the Sri Lankan team in Pakistan.

Sri Lankan cricket team members prepare to board a Pakistani military helicopter

Seven members of Sri Lanka's squad were injured in the shootings in Lahore, which also saw two civilians killed.

The team have called off the remainder of the tour and are heading home.

The chief executive of the England and Wales Cricket Board, David Collier, has offered his sympathy and support.

In a statement, he said: "The ECB is shocked and saddened by the senseless attack on the Sri Lankan cricketers and match officials by terrorists in Lahore. Our thoughts are with the families of those who have been killed or injured in this despicable attack."

He added, "Clearly there has to be some security questions about playing Pakistan at this time."

Pakistan is due to co-host the 2011 World Cup.

The International Cricket Counil President, David Morgan, says the attacks in Lahore puts "a question mark" over the country's ability to hold the event.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Güven
03-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Pakistan World Cup to be reviewed by ICC following terror attacks
ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat has cast doubt over Pakistan's chances of co-hosting the 2011 World Cup following the terror attack on the Sri Lanka team saying is it difficult to see international cricket being played there in the foreseeable future.

Fourteen games are due to be played in Pakistan during the tournament to be co-hosted alongside India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, but following the terrorist attack in Lahore, the ICC have said the situation will now be reviewed.

Lorgat said: "I think it is difficult to see international cricket being played in Pakistan in the foreseeable future.

"I think it will be very challenging for us to be convinced that Pakistan would be a safe venue.

ICC president David Morgan shared Lorgat's assessment saying the board would meet in April to reconsider the circumstances.

Insisting that the security of the players, officials and fans was of paramount importance, Morgan said: "[The] ICC Cricket Cup is due to be staged in the Indian sub-continent, shared between four countries. That is the current plan.

"The board will be meeting in April and will consider the ICC Cricket World Cup in a great deal of detail. The board will have to think very carefully about the extent to which Pakistan will be used for that event.

"It's a very important event but safety and security of players, officials and supporters is very important. The board will be taking that into account.

"There is an organising committee chaired by Sharad Pawar, vice-president of the ICC, and you can be certain that he and his team will be engaged on the very topic that you referred to immediately."

Meanwhile, former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram has said his country's hopes of co-hosting the tournament are now a "distant dream".

"How do you expect foreign teams to come to Pakistan now? We took pride in hosting our guests," he told ESPN. "This image has taken a beating. It's sad for Pakistan."

"Hosting the 2011 World Cup alongside India is now a distant dream."

Source(Telegraph)

Grace Seeker
03-04-2009, 03:56 AM
What is going on in Pakistan? I suspect that this is more about politics than anything else: Bhutto, Mumbai, Sri Lankan cricekt teams. But can anyone with actual knowledge of Pakistani society speak to this?

nocturnal
03-05-2009, 05:00 PM
I don't know an awful lot about the situation, but based on what i've been seeing in the media, it just seems like the government is disintegrating rapidly and the volatility that was restricted to the Northern Tribal areas is evidently now taking a firm hold in the major population centres. It's a scary spectre given that this is a nuclear armed nation.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Tara x
03-05-2009, 05:55 PM
I think everyfn nowadays is gettin blamed n muslims n it isnt rite at all....

nocturnal
03-05-2009, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tara x
Thats true. But i dont know how hard it would be to disprove this attack was carried out by Muslims given the footage they captured on cctv. They did look alot like locals in terms of their attire.

Tara x
03-05-2009, 06:07 PM
yeh dey did i dnt jus mean that but like so many fngs ppl blame muslims just becoz of some things a muslim may have done....

Zahida
03-05-2009, 06:43 PM
:sl: Pathetic!!!!! Whats Politics got to do with the cricket. I am ashamed to say i have any links with Pakistan. It has nothing.......... NOTHING to do with Islam. It is the Pakistani mentality............ I am Pakistani myself.........

^^^ Nocturnal what do you mean by attire?......... They wear those kinds of clothes in Pakistan tooo not necessarily tradional clothes............

Looks like Pakistan won't be hosting the 2011 World Cup.

imsad They are ruining their own country................:w:

Soulja Girl
03-05-2009, 06:47 PM
:sl:

[QUOTE=Zahida;1107419]Pathetic!!!!! Whats Politics got to do the cricketQUOTE]

^Pathetic indeed. And I've no idea what politics has got to do wiv cricket... :hmm:

I wonder who shall host teh 2011 World Cup now...

:w:

Grace Seeker
03-05-2009, 08:29 PM
I can understand why you might feel that everything is getting blameed on Muslims, but notice not everyone is blaming everything on Muslims.

format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker
What is going on in Pakistan? I suspect that this is more about politics than anything else: Bhutto, Mumbai, Sri Lankan cricekt teams. But can anyone with actual knowledge of Pakistani society speak to this?
I suspect the people involved are probably Muslims in name only (if they were Muslims at all), and their real agenda has to do with politics and power not faith or religion. Only to the extent that some Muslims say there is no seperation between one's faith and one's politics could this be considered something to do with Islam.

The Ruler
03-05-2009, 08:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Lady
^Pathetic indeed. And I've no idea what politics has got to do wiv cricket... :hmm:
Cricket may not... But pride does.

KAding
03-06-2009, 04:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
Cricket may not... But pride does.
Is cricket considered an un-Islamic activity by some?

Banu_Hashim
03-06-2009, 04:30 PM
As far as I'm aware it's hasn't got anything to do with Islam or Muslims, it's to do with crazy Pakistani millitants. What their aims are... Allahu Alim!

Banu_Hashim
03-06-2009, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zahida

imsad They are ruining their own country................:w:
Very ture. And I'm sad to see that...

Grace Seeker
03-06-2009, 06:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim
As far as I'm aware it's hasn't got anything to do with Islam or Muslims, it's to do with crazy Pakistani millitants. What their aims are... Allahu Alim!
What are their aims?

How does doing things like this help them? If they ever wanted to be heard and taken seriously before, I would think all hope for that is gone now. Doesn't something like this simply turn the tide of public opinion against them?

Zahida
03-06-2009, 06:52 PM
:sl: When i was younger, having brothers i grew up in a world dominated by cricket............ I remember Imran Khan days!!!! Cricket was one thing Pakistan had that was good sadly those days are gone and they are not making things any better for themselves, and even us............... It is very embarrassing situation when people around you discuss this, you wish the ground would open up and swallow you................

Cricket has always been part of my culture nothing to do with Islam or being Muslim.....................:w::D
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Is cricket considered an un-Islamic activity by some?

ayesha309
03-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Pakistan is and has always been a fragile country consiting of several ethnicities (i.e. Punjabis, Sindhis, etc). It further is a "victim" of migration and refugees. When the country was created, a large influx of refugees came from next door India to live in a "Muslim" country. These refugees still call themsleves "muhajir", identify themselves as coming from x indian village and refused to be a part of the term "Pakistani" (to some extent). The next largest influx of refugees came from Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion. At that time, Pakistan was hosting the largest refugee crisis in history. These refugees have established themselves in north western Pakistan and like the "muhajirs" they too consider themslves as orginally Afghan from x afghan tribe. Unfortunately tehse different ethnicities in Pakistan have not gotten along (ofcourse there are some instances where they have) but perhaps for the larger part they have pride only for their cultre/ethnicity and consider their culture to be the best. The country's leader, depending on his culture, will attempt to make that specific culture the dominant one and opress (arguably) the needs of the other clutlures. Add to that, the country has almost always had corrupt leaders.
Currently the Afghan refugees want more say in the govenrment, they dislike the method and ideolgoies of the current govenrment, and unfortuntaly they belive violence will give them more power in the govenrment. until they consider a peaceful method of entering the governmental process, the future for Pakistan looks bleak.
Furthermore, the current regime is abo****ely corrupt, lacks staiblity in every respect. Zardari is famous for stealing the state treasury, which he did (if there was any in there) when he came into power. Thus, inflation rate hiked dramatically, and ufortunately for the poor Pakistani, the world is in an economic crisis which means an even worse sitation is ahead for tehse poor and needy poeple. Poverty, as many studies have shown, leads to crime, to violence. Many people unfortunatley in pakistan have resorted to violence to make ends meet, to feed their families. Until families realize crime will only make their situation worse, the situation in Pakistan will detiriorate.

Thus out of the several reason of who could have done this and why, politics is invovled becuase the ecnomic crisis, or the refugee crisis could have cuased. There are ofcourse a plethora of other explanations for the demise of Pakistan.

Obvisoly the deed in itself was evil and wrong in every manner possible. from a religious perspective, a secular perspective, an ethical perspecitive, etc, it was 100% wrong.
unfortunately politics is casuing the death of hundreds of innocent poeple and making thousands of them refugees within their own country. Internally displaced indiviudals, as they are called.

In my honest opinion, the economic situation needs to improve for Pakistan to be become a less volatile state, a more open, demcoratic state, and most importantly, a more peaceful state.

Banu_Hashim
03-07-2009, 12:31 AM
What are their aims?
I think we all wish we knew the answer to that.

How does doing things like this help them?
It doesn't

If they ever wanted to be heard and taken seriously before, I would think all hope for that is gone now.
True, I agree.

Doesn't something like this simply turn the tide of public opinion against them?
Yes.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.