03-03-2009, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Should be interesting.
I don't have Channel 4 though.

I knew of all people you would enjoy it the most :p :D

Azy
03-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Recording it.
Will watch it tomorrow, hopefully it will be something to talk about :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Whatsthepoint
03-03-2009, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun
I knew of all people you would enjoy it the most :p :D
:bump1:
But tell me, why the :uuh: smiley in your first post?

there are several Muslims who are also homosexuals and it's thanks do documentaries like this that they can get to know themselves better and find out that they're not alone in their issues, if it's ok to call it issues, I guess you could, it must be a terrible issue for a gay Muslim to come out.
Anyway, I think too little is said about Muslim homosexuals, which makes them feel excluded etc. Must be even harder for the more religious ones. So I thing documentaries like these are a good thing. they're not an attack on Islam and its norms (though some are), but rather documentaries about Muslims who happen to be gay. That's it.

there were a few threads about what constitues a radical Muslim, one of the categories was also the beleif that homosexuality is a sin. That's a completely valid belief and it in itself doesn't make you a radical. You are a radical however, if you abandon and banish your child just because he or she is gay, and from what I've heard, this is fairly common in the UK.

Hamayun
03-03-2009, 10:37 PM
My smiley was to say "Here we go. Another Islam bashing program on TV".

Whatsthepoint
03-03-2009, 10:40 PM
My smiley was to say "Here we go. Another Islam bashing program on TV".
Everything needs to be bashed from time to time.
But hopefully this one doesn't bash religion but the parents and the muslim communities that don't accept their gay children.

Fishman
03-03-2009, 11:03 PM

there were a few threads about what constitues a radical Muslim, one of the categories was also the beleif that homosexuality is a sin. That's a completely valid belief and it in itself doesn't make you a radical. You are a radical however, if you abandon and banish your child just because he or she is gay, and from what I've heard, this is fairly common in the UK.
:sl:
I would say that a radical is somebody who thinks people are homosexual by choice and tries to ostracise them and shun them even if they don't want to be gay.
Homosexuality is okay since it is not a conscious choice but some kind of disorder, what is forbidden is for people to act on those desires.
:w:

Muezzin
03-03-2009, 11:04 PM
I'll have to check if there'll be a repeat. I'm off to bed.

Everything needs to be bashed from time to time.
Except my skull.

Intisar
03-03-2009, 11:15 PM
:bump1:
But tell me, why the :uuh: smiley in your first post?

there are several Muslims who are also homosexuals and it's thanks do documentaries like this that they can get to know themselves better and find out that they're not alone in their issues, if it's ok to call it issues, I guess you could, it must be a terrible issue for a gay Muslim to come out.
Anyway, I think too little is said about Muslim homosexuals, which makes them feel excluded etc. Must be even harder for the more religious ones. So I thing documentaries like these are a good thing. they're not an attack on Islam and its norms (though some are), but rather documentaries about Muslims who happen to be gay. That's it.
How does it help to be Muslim and gay, and to be told that it's okay? :?

It's not about ''finding yourself'' at all, that's a load of crud. It's more about acting on your desires. It's not okay to be Muslim and gay, maybe you accept those types of people, but generally for us it's not accepted at all.

Whatsthepoint
03-03-2009, 11:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
:sl:
I would say that a radical is somebody who thinks people are homosexual by choice and tries to ostracise them and shun them even if they don't want to be gay.
Homosexuality is okay since it is not a conscious choice but some kind of disorder, what is forbidden is for people to act on those desires.
:w:
It's not a disorder, at least not in modern countries.
Yeah, but if a child happens to act on those desires and his or her parents denounce and banish him, this is a form of child abuse.

Whatsthepoint
03-03-2009, 11:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameena*
How does it help to be Muslim and gay, and to be told that it's okay? :?

It's not about ''finding yourself'' at all, that's a load of crud. It's more about acting on your desires. It's not okay to be Muslim and gay, maybe you accept those types of people, but generally for us it's not accepted at all.
I know it isn't acceptable for you, but that doesn't mean the entire society and the television programmes should advertise your morals. Gay Muslims are citizens of the UK, meaning they're free to chose whether they want to act upon certain desires or not. Programmes such as this one help them "find themselves", if this is what they wish. The point is, that they are provided with an alternative to living celibate in their communities and families.

Intisar
03-04-2009, 06:34 AM
I know it isn't acceptable for you, but that doesn't mean the entire society and the television programmes should advertise your morals. Gay Muslims are citizens of the UK, meaning they're free to chose whether they want to act upon certain desires or not. Programmes such as this one help them "find themselves", if this is what they wish. The point is, that they are provided with an alternative to living celibate in their communities and families.
I could care less if they live in the UK or not, the fact is they call themselves ''Muslim'', so obviously I will be offended and obviously they're not going to be accepted by the Muslim community by calling themselves gay and a Muslim at the same time.

I still don't understand what you mean by ''finding yourself''. If the person is a muslim and is having trouble with their orientation, then the last thing they should be doing is watching a program that says it's okay for them to be that way or to engage in such things when it's actually quite the opposite.

Whatsthepoint
03-04-2009, 12:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameena*
I could care less if they live in the UK or not, the fact is they call themselves ''Muslim'', so obviously I will be offended and obviously they're not going to be accepted by the Muslim community by calling themselves gay and a Muslim at the same time.

I still don't understand what you mean by ''finding yourself''. If the person is a muslim and is having trouble with their orientation, then the last thing they should be doing is watching a program that says it's okay for them to be that way or to engage in such things when it's actually quite the opposite.
Muslim can also mean Muslim background.

Thinker
03-04-2009, 02:12 PM
They are showing a programme about Islam and Homosexuality :uuh:
I watched the programme and thought it was a 10 minute programme dragged out to 90 minutes. The only piece that caught my attention was when the homosexual man suggested to the Immam that the Qur'an didn't make homosexuality haraam and the Imman replied "there is do dispute or question that it is haraam and punishable by death the only disputed question is in the manner in which the homosexual should be killed!" It reminded me of that undercover Mosque programme where the Saudi Imaams were teaching about the punishment for homosexuality and a member of the audience asked (something to the effect) "after he has been thrown of a cliff do we still flog him if he is already dead!"

MO783
03-04-2009, 02:40 PM
when was the programme on ?

Channel 4 is better than the other terrostial channels, well the news is anyway

Hamayun
03-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Hmm...

1. Homosexuality is not a mental disorder.

2. Peadophilia is not a mental disorder.

In both cases the individuals are driven by their sexual fantasies. This is not a genetic or a mental disorder.

Should we have the same sympathy for paedophiles too then? Some of them genuinely don't want to be paedophiles.

The paedophile can not be punished for what he craves but he can be punished for what he does. In the same way a Gay man can not be punished for having an attraction but can be if he acts on them.

Sex without marriage is Haraam! Gays can not marry in Islam. The answer is simple.

If some of us can resist temptation and not act on our Haraam impulses then so can Gay people.

No normal person can honestly say they don't find watching two men kissing disturbing (unless you are gay yourself of course)

Whatsthepoint
03-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Hmm...

1. Homosexuality is not a mental disorder.

2. Peadophilia is not a mental disorder.

In both cases the individuals are driven by their sexual fantasies. This is not a genetic or a mental disorder.

Should we have the same sympathy for paedophiles too then? Some of them genuinely don't want to be paedophiles.

The paedophile can not be punished for what he craves but he can be punished for what he does. In the same way a Gay man can not be punished for having an attraction but can be if he acts on them.

Sex without marriage is Haraam! Gays can not marry in Islam. The answer is simple.

If some of us can resist temptation and not act on our Haraam impulses then so can Gay people.

No normal person can honestly say they don't find watching two men kissing disturbing (unless you are gay yourself of course)
Well, society determines what is and what isn't a social disorder. In the west, being gay is no longer a disorder because gays are accepted and can live a normal live, with a loving relationship. Paedophiles on the other hand can't.
Well, many people are completely ok with it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.