/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Malay-Muslim & Chinese-Muslim Paradox

Pomak
03-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Malay-Muslim & Chinese-Muslim Paradox

by Dr. Mohd Asri Zainul Abidin

In my observations, among the serious misunderstandings involving religion is the use of the term “Malay” as synonymous with Islam and “Chinese” with infidel.
There are Malays who describe a new Muslim convert as masuk Melayu (becoming Malay) or sometimes say that he is “not Muslim but Chinese!” For them, the Chinese represent the infidels and Malays embody the Muslims.

To make matters worse, some Malays label the converted Chinese as mualaf and, more disparagingly in the northern Peninsula dialect, Mat Loh.

Malays assume they are the only pure Muslims, although Chinese Muslims may have stronger faith.

To some Malays, Chinese Muslims are not authentic and are seen merely as hitchhikers.

However, many Chinese who have converted to Islam are more pious, while many Muslim-born Malays are of questionable devotion. Malay attire such as kain pelikat, baju melayu and samping are not the garments worn by the Prophet.

But Malays perceive their clothing as Islamic because it is from Malay culture.

Islam does not impede a culture which is not against its teachings. In the past, Malays perceived the use of chopsticks as wrong because it was associated with Chinese culture.

Actually, there is no difference between eating with one’s fingers or using cutlery, or chopsticks. The Prophet called on Muslims to invoke Allah’s name, use their right hand and only eat permissible food.

The Prophet once told a young Umar Abi Salamah when the latter was about to eat: “Dear child, say Allah’s name, eat with your right hand and consume what is close to you.” (Hadith of al-Bukhari and Muslim).

Malays will normally ask Chinese Muslims to change to Arabic names, as if the name Ah Chong, Ah Seng, Lim or Koh would mean they were unIslamic.

Maybe because such names do not sound Arabic, the Malays feel awkward about them.

Sadly, the Malays do not feel the same way about names such as Awang, Leman, Seman and others which are not Arabic either. In reality, there are many Malay names which do not have any meaning in Arabic and some have bad meanings if they are translated.

Still, it is all right for the Malays because they are, after all, Malay names.

Again, are Malays Islam and Islam Malays? The Prophet did not ask those who embraced Islam to change their names as long as they did not have bad meanings.

For instance, the name Umar was used during the pre-Islamic Jahiliyyah period and remained when the person became a Muslim.

I do not stop any Chinese Muslim from changing his name, especially if the new name will make him feel closer to the Muslim community.

Still, they must be given the choice to do so. If the changed names only make non-Muslim Chinese afraid of embracing Islam and fearful that their families will disown them, is it wrong for them to maintain their Chinese names?

If Awang can keep his name, why not Ah Chong?

An assumption that Islam mirrors Malay characteristics has dire consequences in many areas, especially when some Malays themselves act against the teachings of Islam.

Fortunately, most Malays still adhere to the teachings of Islam.

A strong faith is the saving grace in the hereafter.

However, we cannot ignore the fact that many Malays practice syirik (polytheism) and ridicule Allah’s commandments and the Sunnah (teachings of the Prophet).

These Malays are only Muslim in name.

From the perspective of history, the majority of the Chinese in Malaysia are non-Muslims. The call of Islam does not seem to reach them. Perhaps this is because the Malays have not effectively imparted the correct form of dakwah (missionary work).

Instead, many Malays portray an attitude that is against Islam.

Although the Malays can discuss many things with the Chinese, including the political party they should vote for, the Malays do not seem capable of presenting the greatness of Islam and inviting the Chinese to follow their religion.

Since many Malays contradict the teachings of Islam, the majority of the Chinese have misconceptions about Islam or abhor the idea of embracing Islam.

Islam is against negative traits such as laziness, apathy, envy and the like. Unfortunately, many Malays possess such attributes.

For instance, many Malay students are left behind in their studies. If they are set against the Chinese, either at school or university, many of the Malays will lag.

Also, most Malays are not interested in acquiring true Islamic knowledge. They would rather listen to Israiliyyat stories (derived from the Bible and Jewish folklore, used to help “fill in” the details especially when the passage is a narrative piece, which were traditionally deemed helpful or at least not harmful but could cloud the meanings of the Quran), fables and advice which are not founded in the Quran and Sunnah.

They prefer easy instruction without research and thought. At public libraries, the number of Malays using these facilities is still small. Chinese students diligently acquire knowledge, whereas many of their Malay counterparts are distracted by other things.

Some Malay parents will seek out blessed raisins and water for their children just before sitting for examinations to bring on good results. In the end, only those who study hard will excel, not the ones relying on blessed raisins and water.

The non-Muslim Chinese will reject Islam when they witness the Malays’ dependence on such practices but still fail to do well in their examinations.

Academically strong Muslims will not rely on water that was blessed with the Surah Yassin (one of the most important chapters in the Quran). Previous generations excelled because they stressed the importance of knowledge and were sincere in their efforts to acquire it. They were not merely focused on getting a certificate. Such qualities led to the creation of a powerful civilisation of knowledge in Islam.

Sometimes we as Muslims should praise the Chinese. Their children can still do well in their undertakings with neither high education nor paper qualifications. They either inherited the skills from their parents or from practical learning. Many successful Chinese businessmen are masters in their respective fields without having official paper qualifications. This trait is highly regarded by Islam. The religion urges its followers to rely on Allah and to increase their knowledge. In Surah Taha (verse 113) God says: “(Say Muhammad) Oh Lord, increase my knowledge.”

Based on what I have mentioned above, how can the Malays bring the non-Muslim Chinese closer to Islam and convince them that Islam has shaped the Malays to become noble human beings? The Chinese businessmen are better managers and portray strong positive traits compared with their Malay counterparts — to the extent that many Malays have more confidence in Chinese businessmen than their own. Where are people like Abd al-Rahman bin Auf, a Muslim role model of doing business? Maybe the Chinese, the majority of whom are non-Muslims, have a keener insight into Abd al-Rahman’s business acumen than the Malays.

There is much else that I can say, to the point that I am inclined to think that if the Malays were not Muslim, there would be little else they can be proud of. If the Chinese can receive Islam in its true form, they will have much to offer.

* The writer is the Mufti of Perlis.

http://islaminchina.wordpress.com/20.../#comment-1393

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
03-05-2009, 07:32 AM
I'm officially registered as a Malay because I'm a born-Muslim and both of my parents were also born-Muslims and registered as Malays...

Everybody who has seen me (or my pic) would know that I'm not really look like a Malay.. shud ask syilla and Muslim Knight

In fact of thousands of unknown people who greeted/asked for direction/asked for something, 50% spoke in English, 30% in Chinese and only 20% in Malay (mostly.. when I was in a mosque)

I also dont like the Malay-supremacy policy we have in Malaysia...

as I'm multiracial, I preferred to be known as a Penangite Muslim.. because every Malaysian knew that Penangite Muslims are mixed people...

A Chinese Muslim deserved to be called as a Chinese Muslim... and the Chinese reverts who are dedicated to Islam are equal to the born-Muslim Malays who are dedicated to ISlam too... I dont see any differences..

Unfortunately, the Malay-Supremacy policy had created some Malays looking down at non-Malay reverts...they even discriminate the non-Malay Muslim-Borns from Indonesia, Bangladesh, Philippines...

sad..sad...

alcurad
03-05-2009, 07:36 AM
^agree, this already is proving to be a bad policy, the elections proved it too.

symori
03-05-2009, 07:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
I'm officially registered as a Malay because I'm a born-Muslim and both of my parents were also born-Muslims and registered as a Malay...

Everybody who has seen me would know that I'm not really look as a Malay..

In fact of thousands of unknown people who greeted/asked for direction/asking for something, 50% spoke in English, 30% in Chinese and only 20% in Malay (mostly.. when I was in a mosque)

I also dont like the Malay-supremacy policy we have in Malaysia...

sad..sad...
Assalamualaikum,

First of all, your case being automatically a Malay has nothing to do with Malay Supremacy. Malay Supremacy covers parts like Royal Accent,rights to land and others. Religion has nothing to do with Malay Supremacy. Unless Malay Sultan or Agong is the leader of Islam .
HIS ruling does not effect any other Muslims born out of non-Malay.

I am an Arab-Malay, still practising Arab culture.

If you are Chinese Muslim,just practice your lifestyle as a Chinese,even you can have a Chinese name. Don't you know that? Do not give false statements regarding our beloved country,Malaysia to other people.

This issue is sensitive and people might think our country turn from bad to worse. Thank you.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
symori
03-05-2009, 07:40 AM
for your information, Dr. Asri Zainal Abidin is a *******.
He opposes Ahli Sunnah Wal Jamaah. Think again why his contact as a Mufti was terminated!

north_malaysian
03-05-2009, 07:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
^agree, this already is proving to be a bad policy, the elections proved it too.
after the general election on March 2008, which BN lost 2/3 majority seats in the parliament (but still got simple minority) and 4 states to the opposition (but they managed to kidnapped 3 opposition members and made those frogs to support BN, and got another state.. so it's 3 now)...

there were two by-elections... and both won by Opposition...

on April, we will have another 3 by-elections... if the oppositions won all those 3 by-elections.. it's a clear signal that the people want BN to step down..

From my observation, BN wont receive most of the votes from Religious Malays, Young Malays, ethnic Chinese and ethnic Indians...

They only can get most of the votes from Old Malays.. which majority of them are registered voters... unlike the young Malays

north_malaysian
03-05-2009, 08:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by symori

First of all, your case being automatically a Malay has nothing to do with Malay Supremacy.
Just look at the definition of "Malay" under Federal Constitutional, you're not necessary have to be genetically a "Malay" to be a "Malay", so it's political....

" Malay Supremacy covers parts like Royal Accent,rights to land and others. Religion has nothing to do with Malay Supremacy.
Define me "Ketuanan Melayu" in case I understood it in different way... It sounded that Malays are the "Tuan"(Master)? so what happen to non-Malays? as "Hamba" (Servant)? In Islam, nobody can be the Master but God. So how come this policy is nothing to do with Islam?

Does Islam teach to take taxpayers money (which mostly contributed by non-Muslims) to give special subsidies to the Malays only... How about many great non-Malay students who were refused places in public universities? Is it Islamic? Why government giving discount to Malays in buying houses and shares but not to the non-Malays? What so Islamic about that.. Being a "Malay" doesnt give you a direct ticket to paradise.

Unless Malay Sultan or Agong is the leader of Islam .
Penang is ruled by the opposition, but why the Agong (which is the leader of Islam for Penang) still appoint an UMNO person as the chairman of Penang Religious Council... is it fair? The people kickout BN, but still having a BN state assemblyman (who is no longer the ruling party in Penang) as chairman!!!!

I am an Arab-Malay, still practising Arab culture.
So Arab culture endorses Malay-Supremacy?

If you are Chinese Muslim,just practice your lifestyle as a Chinese,even you can have a Chinese name.
I am not a Chinese... I am a PENANGITE MUSLIM!!! I have more than 20 ancestries for God's sake...

Don't you know that? Do not give false statements regarding our beloved country,Malaysia to other people.
It's not "False statements" ... but it's different interpretations based on facts faced by different people

This issue is sensitive
Nope.. it's not sensitive at all ..in the international arena... this is not a media which can be controlled by the Government...

and people might think our country turn from bad to worse.
it is going to worst... the next PM is "so" scandalous...

symori
03-05-2009, 08:04 AM
after the general election on March 2008, which BN lost 2/3 majority seats in the parliament (but still got simple minority) and 4 states to the opposition (but they managed to kidnapped 3 opposition members and made those frogs to support BN, and got another state.. so it's 3 now)...

there were two by-elections... and both won by Opposition...

on April, we will have another 3 by-elections... if the oppositions won all those 3 by-elections.. it's a clear signal that the people want BN to step down..

From my observation, BN wont receive most of the votes from Religious Malays, Young Malays, ethnic Chinese and ethnic Indians...

They only can get most of the votes from Old Malays.. which majority of them are registered voters... unlike the young Malays

i thought this thread is focusing on Islamic Issues regarding chinese and malay in Malaysia..not politics .

north_malaysian
03-05-2009, 08:09 AM
for your information, Dr. Asri Zainal Abidin is a *******.
He opposes Ahli Sunnah Wal Jamaah. Think again why his contact as a Mufti was terminated!
It's not true.... He's a Sunni!!

He just dont follow specific Madhhab, he's a salafi... like majority of people in this forum...

For your knowledge, Perlis is the only state in Malaysia where Shafiite is not the official madhhab as it's a Salafi state. And this state had been a salafi state since decades ago... before Dr Asri became the Mufti.

north_malaysian
03-05-2009, 08:12 AM
i thought this thread is focusing on Islamic Issues regarding chinese and malay in Malaysia..not politics .
please refer the post by alcurad... he mentioned "election"... so it's political

syilla
03-05-2009, 08:12 AM
lol...in m'sia salafi equals to w*

symori
03-05-2009, 08:13 AM
It's not true.... He's a Sunni!!

He just dont follow specific Madhhab, he's a salafi... like majority of people in this forum...

For your knowledge, Perlis is the only state in Malaysia where Shafiite is not the official madhhab as it's a Salafi state. And this state had been a salafi state since decades ago... before Dr Asri became the Mufti.
if he is really a sunni,i wonder why is he questioning good bidaah like marhaban,mawlid,etc.... According to Sunni, any practice that brings no harm to the religion is Sunat.

No doubt some of his lectures are sensible and acceptable. Yet,human being remain as human being.

Pomak
03-05-2009, 08:17 AM
fancy that i linked a salafi. (lol)

Anyways, i find that a lot of the stuff you guys are talking about is really similar to some of the stuff i know about the early rule of the muslims in Spain.

lol...in m'sia salafi equals to w*
As in most of the world, but lets play the ball not the man.

symori
03-05-2009, 08:22 AM
i know the writer very well...i used to like his idea,not now..

north_malaysian
03-05-2009, 08:28 AM
if he is really a sunni,i wonder why is he questioning good bidaah like marhaban,mawlid,etc.... According to Sunni, any practice that brings no harm to the religion is Sunat.
is it? read this:

http://www.islamicboard.com/aqeedah/...lik-bidah.html

north_malaysian
03-05-2009, 08:31 AM
i know the writer very well...i used to like his idea,not now..

how about Sisters in Islam and Astora Jabat?

syilla
03-05-2009, 08:47 AM

careful...or you won't have ur holiday for that :D

symori
03-05-2009, 08:54 AM
imam malik has his view,so those who apply maliki's way ,bidaah is wrong.
How about imam shafie's view? do you have any?

if you can proof to me bidaah is wrong, then we need to announce the whole Malaysia not to read Yassin every thursday evening. It is a bidaah!

End of the day,it is up to the individual to apply the teachings according to the most righteous way. There are books regarding Bidaah on sale. I'm gonna grab one soon. :)

symori
03-05-2009, 08:55 AM
you are quoting something which is not your school of thought..please be careful.
do not mix up between your practising mazhab and other mazhab. . .

symori
03-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Sisters in Islam...thats a long time issue and its a disgrace the fact that the members are not wearing veil and beating around the bush about hukum and women's right.

What happened to these too-knowlegeable Muslims?

Astora Jabat...again,old issue and forgotten.

north_malaysian
03-05-2009, 09:08 AM
imam malik has his view,so those who apply maliki's way ,bidaah is wrong.
but still he's a Sunni right?

How about imam shafie's view? do you have any?
I dont have any...

you can start a thread about Marhaban, Berzanji, Mawlid, Yasin etc. and see the responds for yourself...

if you can proof to me bidaah is wrong, then we need to announce the whole Malaysia not to read Yassin every thursday evening. It is a bidaah!
The different thing between me and Dr Asri that I dont go around and say what's bid'ah what's not...

End of the day,it is up to the individual to apply the teachings according to the most righteous way. There are books regarding Bidaah on sale. I'm gonna grab one soon. :)
Yes... it is... so dont call Dr. Asri as a non-Sunni...

north_malaysian
03-05-2009, 09:10 AM
you are quoting something which is not your school of thought..please be careful.
do not mix up between your practising mazhab and other mazhab. . .
I dont follow particular mazhab just like our National Fatwa Council

north_malaysian
03-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Sisters in Islam...thats a long time issue and its a disgrace the fact that the members are not wearing veil and beating around the bush about hukum and women's right.
Actually, some of the members do wear veils... Amina Wadood wears veil too...

What happened to these too-knowlegeable Muslims?
Just involved in a conference on man and woman equal rights held in KL last month

http://www.sistersinislam.org.my/ind...d=900&Itemid=1

Astora Jabat...again,old issue and forgotten.
yeah... he's forgotten... he said lots of controversial things and got away with it... sigh...

north_malaysian
03-05-2009, 09:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
careful...or you won't have ur holiday for that :D
hey... i dont do anything related to Thaipusam too....

for me, if the Sufis want to celebrate Mawlid.. go on... just dont force me! :D

symori
03-05-2009, 09:30 AM
i would suggest you attend a seminar this Saturday at UIA,tittled SEMINAR PEMBANGUNAN UMMAH on 7th March. You will think twice about him and the best platform for you to argue on who is Dr. Asri. I attended the previous lecture.

Thats why.... :D

Güven
03-05-2009, 01:02 PM
:sl:

Lets stay on-topic please, this is not the place to discuss sectarian issues!

or else this would be my first Thread- closing :D

Muhammad
03-05-2009, 03:03 PM
:sl:

I don't want this thread to promote any kind of division or go off-topic further than it has, but I wanted to clarify a few things if possible Insha'Allaah:

Firstly, the term Wah.habi is a misnomer: those who are labelled with it do not themselves use this term, as it is used as a means of belittlement. It is often used to describe those who closely stick to the verses of the Qur'an and the narrations of the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam), hence it is not used for someone opposing Ahlus Sunnah Wal Jama'ah. More info here.

Secondly, if a person is truly following the Sunnah of the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhi wasallam), then it should be clear to him that there is no such thing as a "good bid'ah". More info.

Thirdly, "there is nothing wrong with following the four schools of fiqh if a Muslim does not have sufficient knowledge to enable him to derive rulings from the Qur’an and Sunnah himself, but if it becomes clear to him that the correct view is other than that of his madhhab, then he must follow the correct view and not his madhhab." Read more here.

"With regard to the common (i.e. uneducated) man there is no difference between the four imams and others such as al-Layth ibn Sa’d, al-Awzaa’i and other fuqaha’. None of them called people to follow his madhhab, or was partisan in following it, or obliged anyone else to act in accordance with it or with a specific madhhab. Rather they used to call people to follow the Qur’an and Sunnah." Read more here.

And Allaah (swt) knows best.

:w:

Pomak
03-06-2009, 12:53 AM
^can we move away from potential derailing and get back to the topic at hand?

Dawud_uk
03-06-2009, 08:02 AM
this is like in the uk where pakistanis call non-muslims gora and gori, meaning non muslim, ironically sometimes even when i am in the same room with them until i make a polite cough...

then they realise there error.

north_malaysian
03-06-2009, 09:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pomak
^can we move away from potential derailing and get back to the topic at hand?
as long as peeps like me and symori dont discuss this... like symori said.. this is a sensitive issue in Malaysia...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.