/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The station of gratitude

Ummu Sufyaan
03-05-2009, 09:55 AM
:sl:
The Station of Gratitude
Translation from: Madarij us-Saalikeen, by Ibn ul-Qayyim

Among the stations of “Iyyaka na’budu wa iyyaka nasta’een” is the station of gratitude (shukr). It is of the highest stations, higher even than contentment (Ridha). Indeed, contentment is inscribed and presumed in gratitude, for gratitude cannot exist without it. Gratitude is half of faith, as we have mentioned earlier. Faith (eman) is two parts: Half gratitude, half patience. God has commanded gratitude, prohibited its opposite, praised the grateful, praised the best of his creation for it-indeed, made it the ultimate goal of all creation-and promised the grateful the highest reward. Furthermore, He has made gratitude a cause of increase in His blessings on a servant, and made it a protection for blessings. He has also revealed that His signs are of benefit only to those who possess this virtue. Most of all, the Exalted has derived a name for Himself from this virtue: He has called Himself ash-Shakoor. He causes the grateful to attain to the One who is the end of all gratitude. Rather, He turns Himself to the grateful in gratitude. Gratitude, therefore, is the summation of all that the Lord demands of his servant.

Allah the Most High says: “And be grateful for God’s blessing if it is indeed Him that you worship” [2: 172].

Also: “And be grateful to Me, and deny My favors” [2: 152].
Of His friend (Khaleel), Ibraheem, Upon him be peace, God says: “Ibraheem, indeed, was a community unto himself, devoted to God, sincere. He was not among those who deem others God’s equals. [Rather] He was grateful for His blessings” [16: 120-1].

Of Nuh (Noah) upon him be peace, God says: “He was, indeed, a grateful servant” [17:3]. And He says: “It is He Who brought you forth from the wombs of your mpthers when you knew nothing; and He gave you hearing and sight and intelligence and affections: that you may give thanks (to Allah)” [16: 78].

“And when your Lord proclaimed: If you give thanks, I will give you more; but if you are thankless, behold! My punishment is dire” [Ibraheem: 14:7].
“Behold! Therein, indeed, are signs for every steadfast, grateful (heart)” [31:31].

The Most High has named himself Shakir and Shakoor, thus sharing His name and sacred attribute with His grateful servants. This alone should be enough for you to realize His love and grace for the grateful.
The scarcity of grateful servants of grateful servants is a sign tgat tget are His elite: “And few of My servants are grateful” [34: 13].

In the Two Sound Collections (Bukhari and Muslim), it is reported that he Porpeht, sallalahu aleyhi, was seen standing “in Prayer until his feet swelled. He was asked: ‘Do you do this to yourself, while God has already forgiven your future and past sins?’ He replied, ‘Shall I not be a grateful servant?’”
It has also been reported, more over, that the prophet, sallahu aleyhi wa sallam, said to the Companion Mu’aath: “By God, O Mu’aath. I truly love you. Forget not, then, to say after each salah, ‘O God, help me in Your remeberence, and giving You thanks, and worshiping You with excellence.” [Allahumma a3inni 3alaa dhikrika wa shukrika wa husni 3ibadatika] )Sahih, narrated by Abu Dawud, Ahmad and others).

to be continued, ishallah!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cute123
03-05-2009, 10:24 AM
jazakallah

Ummu Sufyaan
03-06-2009, 06:44 AM
:sl:
continued...

In the Musnad (of Ahmad) and Tirmithi, Ibn Abbas reports that the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu aleyhi wa sallam, would say:

اللهم أعني و لا تعن علي
Allahumma a3inni wa laa tu3in 3alayya
O Allah, help me, and help not against me

وانصرن ولا تنصر علي
Wan sunrni wa la tansur 3alayya
And give me victory, and give not victory against me

وامكر ولا تمكر بي
Wamkur li wa la tamkur bi
And plot for me, and plot not against me

واهديني ويسر الهدي لي
Wahdeeni wa yassir al-hadya li
And guide me and make guidance easy for me

وانصر على من بغى علي
Wansurni 3alaa man bagha 3alayya
And (unsur?) who transgressors against me

ربي اجعلني لك
Rabbij3alni laka
My Lord, make me for Thee

شكارا لك
Shakkaaran laka
Most thankful to you

ذكارا لك
Dhakkaran laka
Oft-remembering of You

رهابا لك
Rahhaban laka
Fleeing to You

مطوعا لك
Mutawi3an laka
Obedient for You

مخبتا اليك
Mukhbitan ilyaka
Humble to You

أواها منيبا
Awwahan muneeba
Weeping, oft-returning (unto you)

ربي تقبل تبتي
Rabbi taqabbal tawbati
My lord, accept my repentance

وغسل حوبتي
Waghsil 7awbati
And wash away my sin

وأجب دعوتي
Wa ajib da3wati
And answer my prayer

وثبت حجتي
Wa thabbit hujjati
And establish my cause

واهدي قلبي
Wahdi Qalbi
And guide my heart

وسدد لساني
Wa saddid lisaani
Make precious my tongue

واسلل سخمات صدري
Waslul sakhimat sadri
And soften the hardness of my chest.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.