/* */

PDA

View Full Version : is this true? And if so why?

innocent
03-05-2009, 04:46 PM
I was blowing on some milk the other day cos it was too hot and my husband said you're not supposed to blow on milk. He didnt explain why. Is there any truth in this?
Jazakallah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
03-06-2009, 09:33 AM
One should not blow on any kind of food or drink, but wait for it to cool down, then eat or drink it.

"Abu Sa'id narrated that Allah's Messenger (SAW) forbade blowing into a drink. (Al-Bukhari and Muslim) Ibn 'Abbas narrated that Allah's Messenger (SAW) forbade breathing into a drinking vessel or blowing into it. (At-Tirmithi)"

Silver
03-06-2009, 10:00 AM
One should not blow on any kind of food or drink, but wait for it to cool down, then eat or drink it.

"Abu Sa'id narrated that Allah's Messenger (SAW) forbade blowing into a drink. (Al-Bukhari and Muslim) Ibn 'Abbas narrated that Allah's Messenger (SAW) forbade breathing into a drinking vessel or blowing into it. (At-Tirmithi)"
Wow! I didn't know that! But why?

crayon
03-06-2009, 10:17 AM
No idea.. it's just one of those things, I guess, like not sleeping on the stomach, that we should do even without a reason known to us.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
KashifB
03-06-2009, 10:20 AM
:sl:

I remember a long time ago my teacher in the madrassa I went to said while having tea, "you shouldn't blow on it". But I'm afraid I never found out why! I hope someone here can answer this.

:w:

S_87
03-06-2009, 11:07 AM
maybe one of the reasons is germs :?

Cabdullahi
03-06-2009, 11:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
No idea.. it's just one of those things, I guess, like not sleeping on the stomach, that we should do even without a reason known to us.
sleeping on your stomach is not a good idea,because the stomach is a soft area and vital organs are situated nearby with no rigid protection so when you sleep on your stomach your vital organs are vulnerable and your whole weight is putting pressure that could then prove to be dangerous

i didnt even do biology...just common sense

Silver
03-06-2009, 11:56 AM
maybe one of the reasons is germs
I think so...in arab communities, people ate from the same plate and drank from the same vessel. So by blowing on your food or drink, you might be passing your germs to the people sharing it with you.
So maybe that's why blowing is makrooh.

innocent
03-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Jazakallah

anonymous
03-06-2009, 03:08 PM

:salamext:

Sorry, but how do you know this doesn't mean blowing into the drink? As in like when kids drink something, they blow into it to make 'bubbles'?

InshaAllaah if we are not scholars, then we should not use hadiths to say this is like 'this and this', as that is making our own assumptions.

Rather we should ask scholars, as they have background of the ahadiths, and more knowledge.

May Allaah guide us all, Ameen

:wasalamex

crayon
03-06-2009, 03:46 PM
^^ Wa alaikum asalam wa rahmatu Allah wa barakatuhu

"One should not blow on any kind of food or drink, but wait for it to cool down, then eat or drink it."

I've read and heard this many times before from countless scholars, it's not something I just invented on the spot; I'd appreciate if you didn't assume so.:)

Wasalamu alaikum wa rahmatu Allah wa barakatuhu.

Danah
03-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Its the first time to know about that hadith....jazaki allah khair sis crayon

and everything either in Sunnag or in Quran have a reason behind it, subhanAllah

anonymous
03-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Did I say you invented it? I meant how do you know the hadith doesn't mean that you shouldn't blow into the drink like kids do when they ar elittle? That is what I meant.

crayon
03-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Etiquette of eating and drinking:

It is forbidden to eat what is in front of others or to eat from the middle of the platter – one should eat from what is in front of or next to one, because the barakah (blessing) comes in the middle of the food. It is forbidden to leave a morsel that has fallen on the ground – one should remove any dirt and eat it, and not leave it for the Shaytaan.

It is forbidden to drink from vessels of gold and silver; to drink standing up; to drink from the edge of a broken vessel lest one harm oneself; to drink from the mouth of the jug; to breathe into the vessel; or to drink in one draught – one should drink in three draughts, because this is more enjoyable and more healthy.

It is forbidden to blow on food and drink; to eat and drink with one’s left hand; to eat lying on one’s stomach; to put two dates in one’s mouth at once without first asking permission from the person with one whom is eating, because this looks greedy and is unfair to one’s companion. It is forbidden to use the used vessels of the People of the Book, but if there is nothing else they must be washed before eating from them. It is forbidden to sit at a table where wine is being drunk.
islamQA
In Islam, it is prohibited to breathe into the vessel and to blow into one’s drink.

It was narrated from Abu Qataadah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) breathing into the vessel. Narrated by al-Bukhaari (5630) and Muslim (267).

What is meant is that it is forbidden to blow onto whatever is in the vessel of food or drink.

Al-Shawkaani said in Nayl al-Awtaar (8/221):

Vessel includes vessels for both food and drink. End quote.

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Fath al-Baari (10/92):

There are a number of ahaadeeth which forbid blowing into the vessel; it is also forbidden to breathe into the vessel, because that may result in some change due to the breathing, either because the breather’s mouth has a certain smell because of food for example, or because he has not used the miswak or rinsed his mouth for a long time, or because breathing brings out some vapours from the stomach. In all these cases blowing is even worse than merely breathing. End quote.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said in Sharh Riyadh al-Saaliheen (2/454):

The wisdom behind that is that breathing into the vessel is off putting to the one who is going to drink from it after him. Some diseases from the stomach, lungs or mouth may be expelled with the breath and stick to the vessel, or he may choke if he breathes into the vessel. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade breathing into vessels; rather one should take three breaths, holding the vessel away from the mouth each time. End quote.

It was narrated from Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade blowing into one's drink.

That is because if a person blows (into the vessel), some harmful things may come with the air that is exhaled, such as disease and the like. But some of the scholars made an exception in cases of necessity, such as if the drink is hot and he needs to drink it quickly. In that case some scholars granted a concession. But it is better not to blow on it, even if it is hot. If it is hot and he has another vessel, then he may pour some of it into that vessel then pour it back until it cools down.
islamQA as well

crayon
03-06-2009, 03:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Did I say you invented it? I meant how do you know the hadith doesn't mean that you shouldn't blow into the drink like kids do when they ar elittle? That is what I meant.
It could be thought to mean that, but I had heard the hadiths explained by scholars before, so I wrote the interpretation I knew.

anonymous
03-06-2009, 04:02 PM
ok jazakallah khair thats what i needed, a clarification from scholars

syilla
03-07-2009, 03:12 PM
:salam:

During school days have anyone did any kind of experience like blowing our in pallete or putting our saliva in it or something...? i can't remember lol...long time ago.

It seems that our mouth contain lots of germs...

so probably that is one of a reason.

The Ruler
03-07-2009, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
maybe one of the reasons is germs :?
Carbon dioxide?

IbnAbdulHakim
03-07-2009, 08:52 PM
yep its tru,

Allah knows best why :)

kjra
03-08-2009, 01:33 AM

wow....I didn't know that....! JazakAllah khair

nms
03-23-2009, 05:02 AM
maybe we should not blow for the purpose of germs and to wait till food or drink is cool down, to teach patience??

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.