/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Final List of the Worst Web Sites Of 2008

Danah
03-06-2009, 11:26 AM
I was working in a homework for analyzing some good and bad websits....and I think that I will share you what I have found

I found many bad designs, but I picked up the worst of the worst :uuh:....say bismillah before you open it and recite ayat al kursi......I hope there is a webdesigners here so they can have a look at that....for educational purpose
http://www.havenworks.com/

tell me your first impression...so I will include that in my homework please

source: Worst Web Sites of 2008

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
03-06-2009, 11:29 AM
:sl:
OW MY FREAKIN' EYES

Danah
03-06-2009, 11:31 AM
^when I was going through links my eyes were really hurt me....and I am not exaggerating
its awful

thanks for that impression brother....will include it in the homework inshaAllah

Musaafirah
03-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Ow Ow Ow.
Mine Eyes! Oh mine eyes!!! Ow.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Danah
03-06-2009, 12:17 PM
^ lol @ Musaafirah...u know when I saw that site what was my first impression...lol?

I could not stop laughing...dunno why lol

Azy
03-06-2009, 12:17 PM
After looking at the list I think I'd put either Yvettes or Fabric Land at the top, not sure which at the moment. Yvettes is amazingly garish (and what's with the plane and mspaint doodle?) but Fabric Land has got that genuine old-skool feel with irritating animated gifs and scrolling text.

Ah the memories ;)

MO783
03-06-2009, 12:30 PM
:smile:

Danah
03-06-2009, 12:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Azy
After looking at the list I think I'd put either Yvettes or Fabric Land at the top, not sure which at the moment. Yvettes is amazingly garish (and what's with the plane and mspaint doodle?) but Fabric Land has got that genuine old-skool feel with irritating animated gifs and scrolling text.

Ah the memories ;)
actually they all competing in badness.....but havenwork was the worst in my opinion....look at the length of the page or try to scroll the page horizontally...its awful

format_quote Originally Posted by MO783
:smile:
was that your impression brother when you saw that site ^o)

$tranger
03-06-2009, 12:48 PM
First impression:

*thats how to make a website :shade:* :D

y do other website have to be soo complicated wen u can just use 'Ctrl+F' and SEARCH!!!! :p

Danah
03-06-2009, 12:50 PM
^ typical impression indeed :)

will ruin my homework if I include it there

Güven
03-06-2009, 01:12 PM
first impression -> ;D

Second -> Whats with all those heads everywhere?

third -> A very very very very unorganized website , it has 0 % appeal.

Azy
03-06-2009, 01:36 PM
when's your homework due?

crayon
03-06-2009, 01:41 PM
First impression:
Ahahahaha.

Second impression:
Oh dear God.:uuh:

There's no third impression, I can't get over the second one.

Amat Allah
03-06-2009, 02:45 PM

>>>> I have never ever seen a site like that in my life ^o)

Danah
03-06-2009, 03:01 PM
lol @ the above comments.....I hope you guys will not have nightmares because of that awfulness

when's your homework due?
On Monday...If you guys know some good sites interms of layout, content, and colors I will appreciate ur help

sister herb
03-06-2009, 03:28 PM
:haha: What a site... but please, don´t look its source code...

It is as:

:uuh::uuh::uuh::uuh::uuh::uuh:

Danah
03-06-2009, 03:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
:haha: What a site... but please, don´t look its source code...

It is as:

:uuh::uuh::uuh::uuh::uuh::uuh:
^ no honey...Alhumdulilah I did'nt lose my mind yet to look at the source code :uuh:

Soulja Girl
03-06-2009, 06:06 PM

It's krazeh :coolious:

:w:

Vito
03-06-2009, 09:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA
tell me your first impression...so I will include that in my homework please
I guess it would be the same impression I get when I read one of Izyan's post.

mixed with

Nájlá
03-06-2009, 09:41 PM
First impression :uuh::uuh::uuh:

second. ^o) The person who made is mad.

Azy
03-07-2009, 02:27 PM
It's been a few years since I was involved in web technology but back then Jakob Nielsen was the big cheese as far as usability goes ( http://www.useit.com/ ) and I'm pretty sure his website is still a good resource.

Main things that come to mind with regards to havenworks are

Navigation - Images are very small and it's hard to work out what some of them are. There's no text to tell you what each one does. (You can hover over them and find out but that only works in Internet Explorer and a large proportion of people don't use it any more.)

Colours - OK red is the appropriate colour for Republican news but putting blue text over it is a problem as certain colour combinations are difficult to read or cause the eyes to strain when viewing them. Some words are a few different colours :uuh:

Layout - Seems like they've tried to bring the newspaper style layout to the web and it just hasn't worked. Print media is designed this way because it is much easier to read relatively short lines (I think the optimum is roughly 12 words per line if my memory serves me correctly). Having column widths that change with the users screen resolution is usually a good thing but Havenworks has columns which are too narrow even at high resolutions like 1680x1050+ and just plain silly in lower ones like 1024x768 (2-4 words per line).
On the other end of the scale we have columns which span the whole width of the screen (at the bottom of the page).

Amat Allah
03-07-2009, 02:56 PM
here u r a beautiful good site

http://www.islamswomen.com/index.php

just love it ...

and this http://www.shareislam.com/

Danah
03-07-2009, 03:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -Kai-
I guess it would be the same impression I get when I read one of Izyan's post.

mixed with

very expressive impression indeed :)

format_quote Originally Posted by Rida
First impression :uuh::uuh::uuh:

second. ^o) The person who made it is mad.
I wonder if that person is still alive ^o)

It's been a few years since I was involved in web technology but back then Jakob Nielsen was the big cheese as far as usability goes ( http://www.useit.com/ ) and I'm pretty sure his website is still a good resource.
Nilson is still the best in web design usability, he studied all details even the tiny one...I found his material very beneficial indeed. thanks for the link though

Main things that come to mind with regards to havenworks are

Navigation - Images are very small and it's hard to work out what some of them are. There's no text to tell you what each one does. (You can hover over them and find out but that only works in Internet Explorer and a large proportion of people don't use it any more.)
I tried to go through the site to get anything, but it was a real nightmare

Colours - OK red is the appropriate colour for Republican news but putting blue text over it is a problem as certain colour combinations are difficult to read or cause the eyes to strain when viewing them. Some words are a few different colours :uuh:
if you notice the buttons at the top of the homepage, I dont know why on earth they make each button with different color :uuh:
and I was suffering from eyes hurt yesterday when I was studying that site...seriously

Layout - Seems like they've tried to bring the newspaper style layout to the web and it just hasn't worked. Print media is designed this way because it is much easier to read relatively short lines (I think the optimum is roughly 12 words per line if my memory serves me correctly). Having column widths that change with the users screen resolution is usually a good thing but Havenworks has columns which are too narrow even at high resolutions like 1680x1050+ and just plain silly in lower ones like 1024x768 (2-4 words per line).
On the other end of the scale we have columns which span the whole width of the screen (at the bottom of the page).
its awful, there is no enough space between the texts and the borders of the columns....if you noticed the page is very wide at the top but not in the bottom, some columns are just empty there while you are going down on the homepage

thanks Azy for ur points there.....may I use some of them in my homework?

Azy
03-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Of course

aadil77
03-07-2009, 07:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
OW MY FREAKIN' EYES
wahahaha lohol!

Danah
03-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Of course
thanks...then I think since you have been working on the field, I might need your help in the few coming months if you don't mind...I am working on a project talking about the same topic

Danah
03-09-2009, 03:20 PM
bump...........

plz brothers and sisters......for those who read the thread but did'nt leave a comment.....I need more feedback from more people about ur first impression when you saw that site for the project now

Cabdullahi
03-09-2009, 03:31 PM
ahhh IT work :( i have a deadline on friday :( :( and i havent started

Periwinkle18
03-09-2009, 03:33 PM
its filled wid loads of stuff n all tht blue is hurting my eyes lolz weird website

ژاله
03-09-2009, 03:55 PM
the webmaster has put hell in a nutshell...may be they were trying to display an example of ''saving electronic paper"....i wonder who would like to visit such a website!

Danah
03-09-2009, 08:32 PM
:bump1:

جوري
03-10-2009, 12:52 AM
I thought it looked a little busy, sort of like our fridge with the achievements of my nieces and nephews...:hmm:

God-is-great
03-10-2009, 12:57 AM
:eek: my eyes!!

-Elle-
03-10-2009, 01:12 AM
The first word that jumped in my head when I saw the page was: HEADACHE.

So I guess that's my first impression.

Second impression...I thought it looked a little like a newspaper. A horrible, disorganized newspaper.

:D Hope that helped sis! G'luck|!

Danah
03-10-2009, 05:07 AM
jazakum allah khair everyone for your help............rep for everyone replied and help :D

who more wants to have a rep? lol I still need some more :)

north_malaysian
03-10-2009, 05:36 AM
Ya Allah..... what kind of website is that... yeah... my eyes hurt...:shade:

I think that it the messiest website ever... and this is the first and last time to see that website... (dont expect me to read those articles or news or whatever) ... plus, yeah.. to many tiny heads... hate those too... too many colours too... messy .. messy .. messy ..

zanjabeela
03-10-2009, 05:52 AM
Oh, my dear God. SubhanAllah, what an atrocity. I can't believe the name that site has: havenworks?! The word haven means (according to the Meriam Webster Dictionary): a place of safety; a place offering favorable opportunities or conditions. But, this website is not a place a safety! This makes Huffington Post look like a dream, and I really thought HuffPo was the worst of the worst!

There is no organization, no space between anything and this makes a person (well, me anyway!) claustrophobic. There is no use of color. Images are tossed up and it looks like they serve no real purpose. It's a real shame that the site is so unusable that I don't even know what they are about. Honestly, if I clicked on it expecting something, I'd be annoyed and thinking that it's some kind of spam site.

I wonder if it was designed to be the worst website ever; I say this because the page title has a winky thing in there, like this ;-) . What's up with that? Is the guy who put it together thinking it's funny to horrify our eyes like this? Weird. I've never seen a smiley in the title of page...especially one that's supposed to deliver real information.

SubhanAllah. I need chocolate to soothe my soul after witnessing that train wreck!

:w:

Cabdullahi
03-10-2009, 05:58 AM
its actually not that bad,there is alot of information which could keep you entertained for a long duration,the lay out is mediocre and all it needs is de-cluttering,and just updating in terms of looks and design thats all..........all this about my eyes ''hurt'' is just alil exaggeration

thats my input :)

Yanal
03-10-2009, 02:35 PM
I thought my computer was messed with the graphic card but then AHHHHHHH. No offence to the creator. And we shouldn't critize a website poorly made because at the times of Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) there was barely anything to write with or write on and guess how the Quran was firsly formed probably very bad condition if we saw it but do we critize it? No so don't do that if you don't want to get critized yourself.

جوري
03-10-2009, 06:45 PM
reminds me somewhat of
http://www.theonion.com/content/index

but then look how much publicity that website has gotten by being on the worst list?
I guess as the saying goes, it doesn't matter what they are saying about you, so long as you are being mentioned...

Danah
03-10-2009, 06:52 PM
north_malaysian: oh okay... no dont worry I will not ask you to read the articles there, thanks for the feedback brother :)

format_quote Originally Posted by zanjabeela
It's a real shame that the site is so unusable that I don't even know what they are about. Honestly, if I clicked on it expecting something, I'd be annoyed and thinking that it's some kind of spam site.

lol, did not know about the meaning of the word haven :giggling: interesting
and who said its unusable site.....I made many LI people look at it (just look at the views in this thread lol) I think those people who designed the website will be happy to see many people visit their site lol

I wonder if it was designed to be the worst website ever;
I have the same feeling, may be this is the purpose, because there is no way that a human being will do such thing ^o)

Is the guy who put it together thinking it's funny to horrify our eyes like this?
lol

SubhanAllah. I need chocolate to soothe my soul after witnessing that train wreck!
sorry honey for ruining your mood :D but thanks for valuable input my dear....will take them all in consideration

Yanal.....I am criticizing the site for educational purposes, and my websites as well got criticized by the others for the same purpose and I am fine with that because I need to have the feedaback of the other users

~Taalibah~
03-10-2009, 07:03 PM

Sis Saya-

My first impression was that it was a waste of time.

Second, there was no order and space as well as confusing because everything was bunched up.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.