/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Special deliveries: Are designer babies arriving?

crayon
03-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Imagine ordering a baby like dinner: “We’ll take the boy in the Greek-god model, but can you make him 6-foot-4 instead of 6 feet? And gimme the green eyes instead of the blue; ash-blond hair — a little curly, but not too much; olive complexion; 140 IQ; heavy on the fast-twitch muscles.”

Sound like science fiction? Maybe not: The news that a California fertility clinic is offering prospective parents the opportunity to improve the odds of having children with preselected hair, skin and eye color has renewed the debate over “designer babies.”
Read the rest of the article HERE.

This is so interesting..
What are peoples thoughts on this? Does Islam say anything about this? Does this trend look like something that will become popular in the near future? Prevalent in future societies? Its pros/cons? Any other thoughts are welcome..

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
03-06-2009, 04:18 PM
I will only support designer babies if you can fashion each child into a fully-functional version of every member of the entire cast of X-Men.

'My boy is going to Cambridge.

-My boy can shoot lasers out of his eyes.'

Danah
03-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Oh I remember seeing a documentary about this in University before two years....the parent was setting with a doctor and he was asking them the following:
how would you like the eyes color to be?
hair?
skin?
looks more like Dad or Mom?.....and the couple was like looking at each other and then decided to make it as Mom..lol
then the Doctor asked them the final question, would you like to have a boy or a girl....then the mother said: a boy please<<<< the use of please here is absolutely as if they were ordering a dinner ^o)
then the doctor showed them the baby as they ordered it in a 3D screen smiling and moving like a 4 months old. The wife was holding her husband's hands and cry out of happiness as if she was seeing him in real

SubhanAllah....they want to interfere with Allah creation !!!

Cabdullahi
03-06-2009, 04:25 PM
its never gonna work ,i have my trust in allah and not a crazy scientist to give me a blessed child ,a blessed albino or a disabled child is a thousand times better than the best designer child thats out there

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
03-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Have these babies proved to have all the characteristics specified? And are they still alive?

AntiKarateKid
03-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Man doesn't know when to stop does he? Altering Allah's creation in unnecessary ways. We think we're so powerful.

Quran 6:44-45

Then, when they forgot that whereof they had been reminded, We opened unto them the gates of all things till, even as they were rejoicing in that which they were given, We seized them unawares, and lo! they were dumbfounded

So of the people who did wrong the last remnant was cut off. Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds!

aadil77
03-06-2009, 04:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
Man doesn't know when to stop does he? Altering Allah's creation in unnecessary ways. We think we're so powerful.

Then, when they forgot that whereof they had been reminded, We opened unto them the gates of all things till, even as they were rejoicing in that which they were given, We seized them unawares, and lo! they were dumbfounded

So of the people who did wrong the last remnant was cut off. Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds!
Yep, We're trying to play God, and I don't think its gonna last, I don't think these babies are gonna live too long either, they may die early or develope some problem afterwards. AllahuAlam

crayon
03-06-2009, 05:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Have these babies proved to have all the characteristics specified? And are they still alive?
"The California clinic is using the same technique to increase the chances of having a baby with a specified eye, hair or skin color.

“Demand for that is not that high. Patients don’t do it when they find out what’s involved,” he told Vieira. “You have to go through IVF. It costs a lot of money. It doesn’t always work."

But Steinberg doesn’t promise certainty with other traits, just an increased probability."
From the article.

And this is all done using IVF, so I guess they have the same chances as regular IVF babies.

Al-Zaara
03-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Interesting! I heard something like this years ago.

Ar-RaYYan
03-12-2009, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid

I dont think Man will ever stop experimenting with things! i guess its in our nature we are stubborn and arrogant!

and no i dont think it will happen! for Godsake didnt they learn anything from dolly the sheep experiment!

cihad
03-13-2009, 07:11 PM
they can 't order the baby to be a good muslim..so whats the use

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.