/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Malaysia: protest against the policy of teaching Science and Mathematics in English.

north_malaysian
03-08-2009, 03:50 AM
Protest against the policy of teaching Science and Mathematics in English.

KUALA LUMPUR: Defying police orders, some 5,000 people marched from the National Mosque to Istana Negara to submit a memorandum to the king to protest against the policy of teaching Science and Mathematics in English.

Matters came to a head when the crowd, mostly university students and supporters of Pas and Parti Keadilan Rakyat, became unruly.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Musa Hassan said police were forced to fire tear gas and use water cannon to disperse the crowd.

Federal Reserve Unit and Light Strike Force members had thrown a security cordon around the palace in anticipation of trouble and when the crowd became unruly at Jalan Syed Putra, they fired tear gas.

The crowd split into smaller groups and dispersed, only to regroup in several other places. Further clashes with police were reported in the Jalan Mahameru area, not far from the palace.

At the National Mosque, where the protesters regrouped, more tear gas was fired and water cannon used again.

Musa said police restored order by 4pm, two hours after the unrest began.

Four people were arrested near the palace while a fifth was picked up near the National Mosque.

Another 119 people were questioned but later released.

Musa said the group, initially led by Movement Against the Policy of Teaching Science and Mathematics in English chairman Datuk Hassan Ahmad and National Laureate Datuk A. Samad Said, had agreed there would be no gatherings or demonstrations during their discussions with city police.

"They agreed to send seven representatives to the Istana after the zohor prayers but when Pas and Parti Keadilan Rakyat got involved, it became an illegal gathering and demonstration.

"We had no choice but to use tear gas to disperse the crowd which refused to listen to police warnings."

Musa said the crowd's action had inconvenienced city folk and tourists, causing massive traffic jams at major roads into the city.

Although the gathering fell short of its targeted 100,000 people, Hassan said it was a success as he and Samad handed over the memorandum to a palace official at 2.50pm.

Hassan and Samad said the protest was planned to be peaceful with only seven of them to hand over the memorandum.

"Some people took advantage of the situation and incited the crowd to march to the palace."

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/N...cle/index_html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
north_malaysian
03-10-2009, 04:22 AM
some videos on the demonstrations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7PIE...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6a9V...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6ITstMtvhY

Amadeus85
03-10-2009, 04:04 PM
So you malaysian people want these lessons in malay language or arabic?

Whatsthepoint
03-10-2009, 06:25 PM
English is the current ilngua franca of science and technology, so they're not making it easier for the students.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
03-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Math and science are universal I don't see how teaching them in one language or the other matters really? The core value being taught doesn't lie in adjectives or language!

Whatsthepoint
03-10-2009, 06:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Math and science are universal I don't see how teaching them in one language or the other matters really? The core value being taught doesn't lie in adjectives or language!
Of course it matters, as I said, Engish is the oficial langauge of science nowadays and without the sufficient language thereof you cannot succesfully communicate your ideas to the sicentific world (you can for a large fee, but you can never be sure of the result) stay updated on improtant issues, be able to read major papers etc.

جوري
03-10-2009, 06:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Of course it matters, as I said, Engish is the oficial langauge of science nowadays and without the sufficient language thereof you cannot succesfully communicate your ideas to the sicentific world (you can for a large fee, but you can never be sure of the result) stay updated on improtant issues, be able to read major papers etc.
dude no offense but judging from your 'Engish' ' oficial' 'langauge' sicentific'' 'succesfully' and ' improtant' I'd say you are the last person to give an opinion on what is needed and what language the 'scientians' speak.. again science is universal, surely if you hung around actual scientific establishments, you'd have encountered an array of scientists not particularly fluent in English but pioneers in their field and understood just fine. You mistake fluency in a language with knowledge in a particular field.. it isn't the case.
A doctor from Sudan can recognize and speak of this

just as well as someone from John's Hopkins, so get off your high horse, why don't you?

all the best

Whatsthepoint
03-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Those were all typos.
English doesn't mean knowledge but you can' deny it's important and makes it easier to communicate and familiarize with new achievements and ideas.
You don't have to know perfect grammar, but it's vital to have a sufficient vocabulary.

Pomak
03-10-2009, 07:19 PM
What is actually PAS's argument?

north_malaysian
03-11-2009, 05:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
So you malaysian people want these lessons in malay language or arabic?

the nation is divided... because the public schools are divided...

we have four types of public schools in Malaysia:

1) Malay school
2) English school (abolished in 1970s)
3) Chinese school
4) Tamil school

before 1970, people learnt Science and Mathematics in 4 different languages (Malay, English, Mandarin and Tamil)... both of my parents were English school students.. so they learnt those subjects in English..

in 1980s, missionary schools (English schools) were nationalised and the textbooks for Mathematics and Science were standardised in Malaysian language... the Chinese while learning those subjects (especially in Mathematics) in Mandarin but they still have to use Malaysian language textbooks and answer the public exams in Malaysian language... I dont know about Tamil schools.. but I think they learn science and maths in Malaysian language too... this is the policy during 1980s until 2002... I learnt both science and maths in Malaysian language (applicable to Muslim Knight and syilla too)..

in 2003, the former Prime Minister introduced a new policy of teaching science and maths in English in all 3 types of schools...

most of the Malays and Chinese were against this move... the Malays were against it as most of Malay students dont master English language and it'll be hard for them to learn those subjects in English... it's the same reason for most of the Chinese ... as they are great in maths subject because they learnt it in Mandarin and they understand Malaysian language better than English....

most of the supporters of Science and Maths being taught in English are those who were in English medium schools before the 80s...

Personally, i think that science and maths can be taught in any languages.. the most important thing is to understand those subjects ... the Japanese are the most succesful peeps in these subjects and they did'nt learnt those in english...

So if the parents want the kids to learn the subjects in English, there should be schools teaching those subjects in English...if not they can send their kids to Malaysian language schools, or Mandarin schools, or Tamil schools, or Japanese schools ....

north_malaysian
03-11-2009, 05:07 AM
English is the current ilngua franca of science and technology, so they're not making it easier for the students.
but the Japanese and Koreans and Europeans didnt use English in those subjects right?

north_malaysian
03-11-2009, 05:09 AM
Those were all typos.
English doesn't mean knowledge but you can' deny it's important and makes it easier to communicate and familiarize with new achievements and ideas.
You don't have to know perfect grammar, but it's vital to have a sufficient vocabulary.
English is important in term of international communication... if a person cant explain his ideas in English ... he can always use an interpreter...:D

north_malaysian
03-11-2009, 05:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pomak
What is actually PAS's argument?
PAS are against it of course, as many Malay and Chinese students would fail in those subjects as they dont master English language...

meanwhile the literature people want everyone to learn those subjects in Malaysian language as it's the official language of the nation under the Federal Constitution...

Trumble
03-11-2009, 10:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
English is important in term of international communication... if a person cant explain his ideas in English ... he can always use an interpreter...:D
Interpreters who are competent at accurately translating scientific jargon are few and far between; and appropriately expensive.

That said, I think we have two different issues, here. I think a good knowledge of English is probably very useful, if not essential, if you are involved in a scientific or engineering field in an international environment. There's no reason that means the subjects should be taught in English, though.. as has been said that doesn't happen in continental Europe or Japan. I think the best thing is to offer a choice, people shouldn't be denied the change to learn those subjects because their English isn't good enough but if they want to be taught in English, with the aim of improving communication skills in their chosen field, they certainly shouldn't be denied the opportunity.

north_malaysian
03-12-2009, 12:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
I think the best thing is to offer a choice, people shouldn't be denied the change to learn those subjects because their English isn't good enough but if they want to be taught in English, with the aim of improving communication skills in their chosen field, they certainly shouldn't be denied the opportunity.
agree....

some parents want english schools back.. so their kids can learn those subjects in english

alcurad
03-12-2009, 01:17 AM
interesting,,

north_malaysian
03-12-2009, 02:19 AM
yeah...

alcurad
03-12-2009, 03:16 AM
why are the older generation ministers still in power la, they are not in tune with the rest of the nation, especially not with youth & minorities ,,
what does malaysia boleh mean btw??

north_malaysian
03-12-2009, 03:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
why are the older generation ministers still in power la, they are not in tune with the rest of the nation, especially not with minorities ,,
if you ask the opposition.. they'll say vote rigging, phantom voters, unfair Election Commission controlled by the current government etc..

if you ask the government... they'll say only BN can rule the country and give stability to the people....

if you ask me, most of Malaysian young voters are not registered as voters as they just dont care whatever happened... that's why BN still rule the country

what does malaysia boleh mean btw??
"Malaysia Boleh" = "Malaysia Can"

alcurad
03-12-2009, 03:50 AM
I am asking you at that:), why young M'sians don't care though? what about political awareness ma?
maybe the youth don't take it seriously seeing how many ministers have scandals etc,,

alcurad
03-12-2009, 05:23 PM
hmm, went to sleep already weh:)

north_malaysian
03-12-2009, 11:34 PM
I am asking you at that:), why young M'sians don't care though? what about political awareness ma?
maybe the youth don't take it seriously seeing how many ministers have scandals etc,,
The youngsters today are just care about singing reality shows, gossips about celebrities, spending money on new gadgets etc. ... as long as they can get all these .... whosoever ruling the country is not their concern...

alcurad
03-12-2009, 11:37 PM
same for the rest of the muslim world, how to change it?
I'd say it's an endless cycle,,

Amadeus85
03-12-2009, 11:37 PM
The youngsters today are just care about singing reality shows, gossips about celebrities, spending money on new gadgets etc. ... as long as they can get all these .... whosoever ruling the country is not their concern...
And I thought that it's only european attitude. :bump1:

north_malaysian
03-12-2009, 11:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85
And I thought that it's only european attitude. :bump1:
I think that the same attitude is applicable to Singaporean youngsters too....

Amadeus85
03-12-2009, 11:57 PM
I think that the same attitude is applicable to Singaporean youngsters too....
I am afraid NM that this attitude matches to 90% of all tenagers on this best of the worlds.

alcurad
03-12-2009, 11:59 PM
they deserve what they will get then,,

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.