/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prophet (saw)'s date of birth

sevgi
03-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Salams,

I know that today is our prophet (pbuh)'s birthday...right? I'm not here to argue whether or not it is bidah to celebrate etc...I don't worry on things like that.

More importantly, I've been in a little debate about this. My friend tells me that our prophet's bday was never known so today is actually his 'deathday' and they've suplemented it as his bday....is this true? Supporting info would really help.

I've been trying to search online, but for some reason my internet is loading any site about 'Islam' at like 0.001kb/s or something.

Any help?

Jazakallah khayr in advance.

Sevgi.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
03-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Well, 2 things I know about the date of the Prophet peace be upon him's birth:

It was on a Monday
It was in the year of the elephant.

As for more than that, I'm unsure..

edit-
"As for the second part of the question, the exact date of the Prophet's birth is controversial, but it is most likely to be on Monday, 9th Rabee` Al-Awwal (20th or 22nd of April, 571 AC), the same year in which the invasion of the Elephants took place against the Ka`bah. And he (peace and blessings be upon him) passed away on Monday 12, Rabee` Al-Awwal in the eleventh year of Hijrah (8 June 632 AC.)"

From islamonline

sevgi
03-08-2009, 04:38 PM
So this deathdate switch idea is untrue?

crayon
03-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Well, if they know the day he was born (which apparently they do, according to what I posted), there would be no reason to use his death date, would there? Only if the day he was born was completely unknown would it be used, I guess.

But I don't know, just thinking aloud..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Yanal
03-08-2009, 10:18 PM
He did die on his birthday is what some authors say but some say he was 63 years old and 3-4 days old.

alcurad
03-08-2009, 10:42 PM
neither his birthday nor his the day he died are agreed upon, he was definitely born in the year of the elephant, on a Monday, in the month of rabi' al awwal/3rd month, also to note: there was no Monday on the 12th of that month. anything else is mostly speculation.

KashifB
03-08-2009, 10:55 PM
In one of Ahmad Raza Khan's books he actually says that the Prophet sallahu alaihi wasallam was born on the 9th Rabi-ul-awwal. But for some reason unknown to me his followers now believe it's 12th Rabi-ul-awwal!

sevgi
03-09-2009, 02:22 AM
Thank you all.

So it is not true that his bday has been switched for his deathday? Good. :)

KashifB
03-09-2009, 10:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sevgi
Thank you all.

Ahmad Raza Khan's followers do not believe that the Prophet sallahu alahi wasallam has died they even believe walli-ullah are alive in their graves. So it may that they have used the Prophet's sallahu alahi wasallam death date as his birth date because they do not believe he's dead.

AllahuAlam

alcurad
03-09-2009, 10:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sevgi
Thank you all.

no, wasn't born nor died on a 12h,,

sirajstc
03-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Assalamalaikum

Allah has prescribed two festivals or Eids for us to celebrate and we are not supposed to celebrate any others.

With regard to celebrating the day on which the Prophet (saws) was born, its neither been proved by the Qur'an nor by the traditions of the messenger of Allah (saws), nor in the deeds of the companions.
The Prophet (saws) did not tell us to celebrate His birthday (Milad-un-nabi), nor did his companions celebrate it. Although they loved the Prophet (saws) far more than we do, they did not celebrate this day, then why should we..!

The extent to which a person loves the Messenger of Allah (saws) is to be seen in how he follows Him with regard to all that he commanded or forbade. That includes following his Sunnah, not celebrating the day on which he was born..!!

Please dont walk blindly in the footsteps of your ancestors.
The Prophet (saws) said: “I urge you to adhere to my Sunnah and the way of the rightly-guided Khaleefahs. Adhere to it and cling tightly to it. And beware of newly-invented matters in Islam, for every innovation is a misguidance and every misguidance is in hellfire.” (Abu Dawood 3991)

May Allah help us all to do that which He loves and which pleases Him.
Remember there is no life or Dignity without Islam!

A time for Thought.
A time for Change.
A time for Action.

KashifB
03-09-2009, 12:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sirajstc
Assalamalaikum

Allah has prescribed two festivals or Eids for us to celebrate and we are not supposed to celebrate any others.

With regard to celebrating the day on which the Prophet (saws) was born, its neither been proved by the Qur'an nor by the traditions of the messenger of Allah (saws), nor in the deeds of the companions.
The Prophet (saws) did not tell us to celebrate His birthday (Milad-un-nabi), nor did his companions celebrate it. Although they loved the Prophet (saws) far more than we do, they did not celebrate this day, then why should we..!

The extent to which a person loves the Messenger of Allah (saws) is to be seen in how he follows Him with regard to all that he commanded or forbade. That includes following his Sunnah, not celebrating the day on which he was born..!!

Please dont walk blindly in the footsteps of your ancestors.
The Prophet (saws) said: “I urge you to adhere to my Sunnah and the way of the rightly-guided Khaleefahs. Adhere to it and cling tightly to it. And beware of newly-invented matters in Islam, for every innovation is a misguidance and every misguidance is in hellfire.” (Abu Dawood 3991)

May Allah help us all to do that which He loves and which pleases Him.
Remember there is no life or Dignity without Islam!

A time for Thought.
A time for Change.

A time for Action.
Ameen

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-11-2009, 04:30 PM
:sl:

Very good academic article that discusses the different opinions that exist and have existed over the centuries amongst the classical Scholars and Muslim historians on the exact date of the birth of the Messenger (salalahu 'alayhi wa sallam):

http://muslimmatters.org/2009/03/11/...of-the-mawlid/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.