/* */

PDA

View Full Version : clarification

جوري
03-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Did the prophet SAW pass on illiterate?
I was always under the impression that in his later life he learned to read and write and used to in fact take one of his wives to learn reading and writing -- I have recently encountered a post to the contrary and I need historical evidence please

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
doorster
03-09-2009, 10:39 PM
No!

جوري
03-09-2009, 11:37 PM
:sl: akhi,
I didn't receive a reply in my PM

KashifB
03-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Some people say he was not totally illiterate because he was a merchant before he received prophethood and should have been able to read/write to some extent.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
KashifB
03-09-2009, 11:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye

Could you forward me the reply once you receive it, please.

جوري
03-09-2009, 11:42 PM
:sl: I really want some articles from trusted sources. The net is a portal of ignorance.. the correct view is probably embedded so far from reach, I wonder if maybe Br. Ansar addressed the issue before?

doorster
03-09-2009, 11:42 PM
:sl: I really want some articles from trusted sources. The net is a portal of ignorance.. the correct view is probably embedded so far from reach, I wonder if maybe Br. Ansar addressed the issue before?

oopse did not see that, which makes my reply rather redundant

wa aalaikum salam
it was in a reputation message, if it is not there then I shall send a PM

جوري
03-09-2009, 11:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KashifB
Could you forward me the reply once you receive it, please.
Insha'Allah, but hopefully insha'Allah someone knowledgeable can also post a reply in this thread and clear it for many people

جوري
03-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Oh Jazaka Allah khyran I haven't looked under user CP yet, I shall now

جوري
03-09-2009, 11:46 PM
:sl:

Yes I suppose the definition can fit both things but then the word itself is vague and can have multiple meanings ..

I am going to do some Arabic googling I think it is probably the easiest way to avoid hateful sites.. whenever I google anything to do with Islam my stomach just churns 3 mins into it

جوري
03-10-2009, 12:02 AM
:sl: I managed to find this..suret al 3ankboot speaks of the prophet's illiteracy prior to the revelation of the Quran. which was my original impression.. because I have read a post on the forum recently that alleged he died illitrate, which I don't believe to be true, since he made seeking knowledge mandatory on every Muslim and took one of his wives to learn to read and write and Allah swt knows best
if anyone knows differently then share with me

بسم الله و الصلاة و السلام على رسول الله

جزاك الله خيرا أخي

واقع الأمر أنها شبهة مضحكة تبرز جهل طارحها ، فلو استعمل هؤلاء عقولهم في التفكير و عيونهم في القرأة لوجدوا القرأن يقول منذ أكثر من 1400 سنة
{وَمَا كُنتَ تَتْلُو مِن قَبْلِهِ مِن كِتَابٍ وَلَا تَخُطُّهُ بِيَمِينِكَ إِذاً لَّارْتَابَ الْمُبْطِلُونَ }العنكبوت48

هل لو كان الرسول محمد _ صلى الله عليه و سلم _ يعرف القرأة و الكتابة أما كانت هذه الأية كفيلة بأن تجعل الناس لا يؤمنون به فهذه الأية تقول صراحة للجميع أن الرسول صلى الله عليه و سلم لم يكن يقرأ أو يكتب قبل نزول القرأن ألن تكون هذه الأية هي الفرصة الكبرى لأعداء الاسلام من اليهود أو المشركين بأن يهدموا الاسلام و الرسالة ان استطاع واحد منهم أن يقول أن الرسول محمد _ صلى الله عليه و سلم _ يقرأ و يكتب ؟ و لكنهم لم يفعلوا .. لماذا ؟ نترك الاجابة لمصدقي هذه الشبهات التافهة

http://www.imanway1.com/horras/showthread.php?t=7791

Yanal
03-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Ill search a link or article and post here inshAllah.

alcurad
03-10-2009, 03:13 PM
thanks for bringing it up, I did read some articles ages ago on the matter, will look around,,

جوري
03-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Thank you

alcurad
03-12-2009, 01:51 AM
http://www.ahewar.org/debat/show.art.asp?aid=73939 *arabic*, somewhat long but provides many good sources.

doorster
03-12-2009, 02:27 AM
I stopped reading the article in link when I arrived at
"Narrated Ibn omar:The Prophet said, "We are an illiterate nation; we neither write, nor.... "sahi bukhari part 3 pages 27, 28"

fi aman Allah until next week

coddles76
03-12-2009, 02:34 AM
I was always under the impression that in his later life he learned to read and write and used to in fact take one of his wives to learn reading and writing -- I have recently encountered a post to the contrary and I need historical evidence please

:sl: Skye

I guess for me it doesn't really matter whether he was literate or not, what does matter is that he was the most influential man ever to exsist and was known to have the BEST of characters. His honesty and integrity was why Allah SWT choose him to be the best of men and to deliver the final message.

alcurad
03-12-2009, 03:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
for some reason I stopped reading the article in link when I arrived at
"Narrated Ibn omar:The Prophet said, "We are an illiterate nation; we neither write, nor.... "sahi bukhari part 3 pages 27, 28"

no offence meant but I am sticking with my original belief wa salam alaikum and fi aman Allah until next week

:peace:
perhaps if you had kept reading :), the article presented the for and against,,

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.