/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic cinema?

abumalik
03-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Salam alaikum,

I work in television. The reason why I got into the media is because I wanted to change the way Muslims were represented in the West. However, having worked in the industry for a few years I feel that it's very difficult to change the industry from within. I'm starting to think that the only way we can change the way Muslims are represented is to represent ourselves. With good HiDef cameras now costing less than £700 and with most home computers being capable of editing in professional quality, the technical side is accessible to all of us. What's left is that sufficient Muslims have the will and the desire to make films. So I've been thinking Muslims who are interested in making films should get together and start making films that represent us the way we want to see ourselves. At first our target audience would obviously be Muslims, but as we get better we could see this as a form of da'wa for non-Muslims.

Just to clarify, I'm talking documentaries, but also about action films, comedies, etc...

If anyone's interested please respond and let's see if we can get the ball rolling...

Salam alaikum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
03-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Wa alaikum asalam,

Hmmm, I've actually heard of more than one brother on these forums say that he both loved and wanted to work in halal film making..
If I come across their threads I'll let you know, perhaps you could try contacting them.

abumalik
03-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Greatly appreciated. May Allah reward you.

Mikayeel
03-10-2009, 02:19 PM
^

:sl:

sounds like a great ideao :)

I wouldn't mind acting in one of these movies, ive never acted before see but i like doing it one day :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
crayon
03-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Here are the two threads I was talking about:

link 1
link 2

abumalik
03-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Jazaka Allah for that crayon.

Muezzin
03-10-2009, 05:51 PM
You know what's weird, abumalik? I tend to agree.

I agreed so much in fact that years ago I started work on a screenplay with my brother - but when that petered out I took the core of it and developed it into a short story that is available to read on this site.

(Shameless self-promotion rocks)

But everything I've said is true. And everything you've said is right. All the best, and if you're offering a paycheck, do get in touch. 'We'll do lunch' and other assorted cliches that may or not mean lead to me being paid to write things. :)

Whatsthepoint
03-10-2009, 06:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
You know what's weird, abumalik? I tend to agree.

I agreed so much in fact that years ago I started work on a screenplay with my brother - but when that petered out I took the core of it and developed it into a short story that is available to read on this site.

(Shameless self-promotion rocks)

But everything I've said is true. And everything you've said is right. All the best, and if you're offering a paycheck, do get in touch. 'We'll do lunch' and other assorted cliches that may or not mean lead to me being paid to write things. :)
One question, do you ever watch Stargate?

abumalik
03-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Salam Muezzin,

I can't offer any money. I can offer support, free editing facilities (my mac with Final Cut Pro and other software necessary for editing), free camera (my sony hd camcorder) and free microphones.

If we can make a couple of films that have an impact we can perhaps get funding for a project, and then we can think about paying out some money. Or if you know where to go for funding we may be able to get something.

For now you can check out my blog (http://musliminsomniac.blogspot.com/) for some ideas and lots of goodies.

abumalik
03-11-2009, 12:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Salam,

I don't see the relevance of Stargate...

Muezzin
03-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Not really. Why?

I'll check out your blog inshallah.

Whatsthepoint
03-11-2009, 12:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Not really. Why?

I'll check out your blog inshallah.
Your humour is similar to that of the lead man.

abumalik
03-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Your humour is similar to that of the lead man.
I hope that's a good thing. :uuh:

Ahmed Dabbour
05-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Assalam Alikom :)

I'M very happy to read all of you speak about something I beileve in as you

I'm morbid about all Media channels .. but I choose the Islamic media as a model for me although this model I can't totch eaaly

any way I'm with all of you .. If I can do thing I will and I choosed to be a writer and I have a story idea and I will write it soon ISA "in sha'allah"

Ahmed Dabbbour
Cairo, Egypt
ahmed_sayed690@yahoo.com
dr_best_vet@hotmail.com

Whatsthepoint
05-28-2009, 01:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abumalik
I hope that's a good thing. :uuh:
It's a great thing.
Its a geek show, but funny.

-S-
05-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Salams

Interesting concept but what kinda films do you have in mind?

educational? Awareness?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.