/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Gunman Turns Small Alabama Town Into Slaughterhouse

Güven
03-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Gunman Turns Small Alabama Town Into Slaughterhouse
Chief Says Gunman Attacked With an AK-47 Assault Rifle

March 11, 2009

He spared no one, not his mother, not his grandparents, not the children, not even the family dogs.

With a toy truck and a scooter n the foreground, law enforcement officials from across the state investigate one of the crime scenes of a shooting rampage in Samson, Ala., in the afternoon of March 10, 2009. A gunman went on a shooting spree in two neighboring southern Alabama towns, killing at least 10 people before he shot himself at a metals plant, authorities said. Collapse
(Jay Hare/The Dothan Eagle/AP Photo)

Investigators following the 24-mile trail of death through southern Alabama are still trying to determine what set Michael McLendon on a murderous shooting rampage that led to the deaths of 11 people, including himself.

"He cleaned his family out," Coffee County coroner Robert Preachers said. "We don't know what triggered it."

Alabama state trooper John Reese told "Good Morning America" this morning, "We are still unclear of what caused the incident."

The shooter is described by former classmates and officials as a "quiet" person who was briefly a member of the local police department, but left the force without finishing his training. McLendon abruptly quit his job last week where he was a respected "team leader" in a sauage factory.

McLendon's killing spree began in Kinston, Ala., just north of the Florida line, where he shot his mother, Lisa McLendon, execution style.

The woman was found lying face down on her couch, the Dotham Eagle newspaper reported, citing Coffee County District Attorney Gary McAliley.

Sources in the DA's office told ABC News that her body was covered with the corpses of her three dogs apparently shot by McLendon, and covered up with a pile of clothes. The couch was set on fire, officials said.

Police say the heavily armed McLendon then got into his car and drove through two towns, stopping or slowing down to fire at people on their porches, at a gas station, or on the street.

Toward the end of his rampage, McLendon engaged in a running gun battle with police who tried to ram his car to stop him.

"He opened up on us with an AK-47," said Geneva Police Chief Frankie Lindsey, who was wounded in the shoulder. "That's what it looked like. It could have been an M-16, but it was an assault rifle, automatic. And he burst about 15 to 18 rounds on our vehicle, all at once."

"It looked like he was trying to kill us. There's no doubt about it," Lindsey said. "We were face-to-face with him. He just put the weapon out the window and let go a burst."

Lindsey said his bulletproof vest saved his life. "The vest comes in play, I promise you," he said with a nervous laugh.

It was later determined that McLendon was armed with two high powered assault rifles, a Soviet-made SKS and a Bushmaster. He also had at least one . 38 caliber pistol, police said. He fired more than 200 rounds, police said at a news conference today.

The carnage ended when McLendon drove to a factory where he once worked and exchanged more shots with the police before he went inside and shot himself to death, police said.

After leaving his mother's house Tuesday afternoon, McLendon drove 12 miles to the town of Samson, where he mowed down several of his own family members as they sat on a porch. Among the dead were his grandfather, an uncle and a cousin.

Also cut down were Andrea Myers and her 18-month-old daughter child Corinne, the wife and daughter of a Geneva County sheriff's deputy. The two had stopped by to visit on their neighbor's porch. Only a 4-month-old baby, Ella, covered in its mother's blood, survived the onslaught.

'He Sprayed Bullets Through the Town'

He then shot his 74-year-old grandmother next door.

Barry Aplin was next door to the shooting and told the Dothan Eagle newspaper that he saw McLendon chase a woman into her house and open fire.

"I saw him in the living room just blazing the world up," Aplin said.

The gunman then got into his car and began driving around the tiny town, shooting through the car window at whoever unfortunately caught his attention.

"He sprayed bullets through the town," said Kirke Adams, district attorney for Geneva and Dale counties.

Sonya Smith, 43, was shot dead when she stepped out of a gas station. Another motorist, Bruce Malloy, was killed as he drove past McLendon. James Starling, 24, was sprayed with bullets as he tried to run away.

"In a cowardly act, he shot him in the back," Adams said.

McLendon fired several shots at the Bradley TrueValue Hardware store before heading out of town for Geneva, 12 miles away.

"We were just business as normal, and all of a sudden there were bullets flying and glass was everywhere," owner David Bradley told the Dothan Eagle. "We realized what it was and grabbed our guns, but then he was gone."

No one was hurt in the hardware store shooting. "There's a lot of people who had close calls," Adams said. One of those was Greg McCullough, who was pumping fuel at the gas station when the gunman roared into the parking lot and slammed on his brakes.

"I first thought it was somebody playing," McCullough told The Associated Press. Then he saw the rifle.

McLendon opened fire, killing Smith when she stepped outside and wounding McCullough with bullet fragments that struck his truck and the pump. At one point the rifle appeared to jam, and then McLendon fired more shots before driving off.

"She was a really good person. She was getting ready to go to work," said Smith's friend Debra Hill. She said Smith has a daughter who recently graduated from high school.

In Geneva, police said McLendon let loose with a volley at a Wal-Mart, but it wasn't immediately clear whether anyone had been injured in that attack.

Cops chased McLendon to the Reliable Metal Products factory in Geneva, where he exchanged more shots with police before walking inside and shooting himself.

It appeared that McLendon had intended to keep hunting victims at the factory.

"He had plenty of ammo in his car and other weapons, and he appeared to be going to do some damage there," Adams told the AP.

One of the officers who cornered McLendon at the factory was Josh Myers, whose wife and toddler daughter were shot dead on the porch in Samson. His infant daughter, he said, was in stable condition with a wound in her leg.

"We get trained to handle something like this ... but this was something that was never expected," Myers told a news conference.

Myers said he was devastated to find out that his family was among McLendon's victims.

"I cried so much yesterday I don't have a tear left in me," he said. "I never in my life will be able to understand it."

Myers appealed for help and asked people to pray for him and his surviving daughter.

"I don't know how to handle this situation," he said. ABC News' Emily Friedman contributed to this report

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Güven
03-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Whats with all the slaughters today ?

Muezzin
03-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Someone told me that Wednesday is supposed to be the most depressing day of the week...

Intisar
03-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Subhan'Allaah, he even killed the family dogs. :uuh:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Whatsthepoint
03-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Tell me why I don't like wedensdays...

north_malaysian
03-12-2009, 03:38 AM
well.. I dont like Mondays...

alcurad
03-12-2009, 03:53 AM
they're copying each other, the more the news spreads, the more cases like this happen,,

Whatsthepoint
03-12-2009, 06:45 PM
I think this is a result of the numerous documentaries about school shootings.

alcurad
03-12-2009, 08:27 PM
there should be a media gag order for such news,,

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.