/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Saudi sandstorm

Chuck
03-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Day turned to night in an instant in Riyadh on Tuesday as one of the worst sandstorms in a decade engulfed the city.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZdsXUAqksE (old)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NroxCfot7Wc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoLumQPf0r0

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Güven
03-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Saudi capital covered in dust after sandstorm

15 hours ago

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) — Residents of Saudi Arabia's capital are cleaning up after a huge sandstorm blanketed the city with a thick layer of yellow dust.

Cars and houses are covered by sand after the Tuesday storm forced the closure of the international airport and shut down schools.

The Saudi Press Agency says flights to Khaled International Airport were diverted Tuesday to airports in Jeddah and Dammam. The airport has since reopened.

Hospitals dispatched emergency teams to dozens of residents suffering from breathing problems.

Billowing clouds of sand engulfed the city and surrounding areas, forcing drivers to slow to a crawl and people to stay indoors.

Sandstorms are common in Saudi Arabia during the spring.

Amadeus85
03-11-2009, 11:30 PM
OMG, poor people.

czgibson
03-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Greetings,

Wow - now that's weather!

P.S. That was an awesome guitar solo in that third video, Chuck. :)

Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
03-11-2009, 11:58 PM
SubhanAllahhh!! :ooh:

north_malaysian
03-12-2009, 01:06 AM
just like the mummy movies

Yanal
03-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Dear respected brothers & sisters
It's a desert land not too far away from cities which constantly caused small ones but not powerful enough to reach the cities but today it's wind must have been approximately 100km/h to reach the cities with delicate light particles such as sand most go the opposite way of the wind causing sand tornadoes but tornadoes are common in particular areas of the United States of America.

But people in Pakistian and India also suffer from small sand storms but are not technacally called that since the quanity is much more efficent then quality of sandstorms in Pakistian and India. Was the sandstorm strong enough to reach holy Mecca? If it's answered in Guvens article don't mind this because I didn't read it yet but inshAllah will.
Doctor Y

Amat Allah
03-12-2009, 01:33 AM
laa ilaha illa Allah may Allah protect them and all of us Ameeeeeeeeeeeen

alcurad
03-12-2009, 01:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Wow - now that's weather!

P.S. That was an awesome guitar solo in that third video, Chuck. :)

Peace
:), anyway, it's quite bad in Riyadh, it's not always like that but something close to it, never liked the weather there, everyone must be suffering quite a bit though, poor people,,

Intisar
03-12-2009, 01:52 AM
:sl: Subhan'Allaah I saw this on TV yesterday, my heart literally stopped! This type of stuff really scares me, I wonder how the people living there went through it. imsad

Chuck
03-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Mecca is far away from Riyadh. And Mecca is a valley surrounded by mountains so sand storms are not as bad there.

format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Dear respected brothers & sisters
It's a desert land not too far away from cities which constantly caused small ones but not powerful enough to reach the cities but today it's wind must have been approximately 100km/h to reach the cities with delicate light particles such as sand most go the opposite way of the wind causing sand tornadoes but tornadoes are common in particular areas of the United States of America.

But people in Pakistian and India also suffer from small sand storms but are not technacally called that since the quanity is much more efficent then quality of sandstorms in Pakistian and India. Was the sandstorm strong enough to reach holy Mecca? If it's answered in Guvens article don't mind this because I didn't read it yet but inshAllah will.
Doctor Y

crayon
03-12-2009, 10:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameena*
I wonder how the people living there went through it. imsad
It was actually kind of interesting...:><:

But yeah, all is back to normal now. It's still quite dustier than usual, but I'm sure it'll be gone in a day or two.
There was supposedly going to be another sandstorm on Wednesday, even worse than the one on Tuesday, but it seemed to have bypassed us Alhamdullilah.

Layla454
03-18-2009, 04:18 PM
SubhanAllah!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.