/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated at my fellow Muslims...

Dawud_uk
03-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Assalaamu Alaykum all,

I am going to write a few things in this post and it is likely to offend others, but these matters need addressing as for too long they have gone unspoken and ignored within the Muslim community.

Many people reading this will therefore find themselves being addressed indirectly when they realise the people I am speaking about are they themselves.

The scholars have established the conditions of living in Darul kufr, even those scholars who permit living in Darul kufr are of the opinion that Da'wah is a Fard upon both the community and also upon the individual where they have knowledge.

This is because of the following two ayats as well as other evidences...

"Invite to the Way of your Lord with wisdom and fair preaching, and argue with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided."
16:125

“Let there arise amongst you a group that invites to the good, orders what is right and forbids what is evil, and they are those who are successful.”
3:104

The first verse gives a general command to give Da'wah, the second is showing there is a communial obligation to call to Allah as a group.

Now a few people do the first type of Da'wah, the personal Da'wah but even this is sadly lacking but practically no one does the second at all.

Let me show you what I mean from my own city, where we have about 35-40,000 Muslims, and 3 or 4 brothers doing a weekly Da'wah stall, one week a year given to Da'wah at the universities, one Deobandi Alim who has classes for new Muslims and non-Muslims and one centre which thinks it is calling to Allah by having people dance around to music (whirling dervishes) in the name of Da'wah once a year.

Now can we say we are seriously fulfilling our Fard kifayah responsibility here to call to Allah openly and as a group? Obviously not.

Everyone at this point usually agrees here we are not doing enough, fine we are all together at this point when I discuss these issues the problem comes next.

So people agree more needs to be done, but do they do it themselves? Do they go out and call the people to Allah either individually or as a group, a jammat, no they are too busy in their dunya, earning their wealth, paying for nice cars and houses is more important to the, that's right, your house and your car you worked so hard to buy is more important to you than calling to Allah.

What they mean is others should do it for them, which is fine if enough people are doing the public Da'wah (which they are not) but the personal da'wah is a fard aiyn responsibility, can someone do your fast for you or your salaah for you? no of-course not, but these are fard aiyn.

So people need a wake-up call, they need to get off their lazy butts and start doing some Da'wah, get out on the street, talk to your neighbours, do you even know your neighbours? Seriously when was the last time you spoke to your neighbours. I know it is difficult in today's Britain where everyone wants to be by themselves but make some effort at least.

And support the public Da'wah, give your time and help write leaflets if you are not good at public speaking, give some money as I can tell you everything we get for the Da'wah stalls comes out of our own money, but do something.

If you are too busy with the dunya to do Da'wah then I am going to be blunt, you are committing major sins just by doing that. Everyone one of those kuffar who was in your life, your school mates, college mates, work buddies, neighbours, shopkeepers etc in your life will all tell Allah you never gave Da'wah whilst here and had the opportunity and you will be answerable for every single such instance, scary isn't it?

My last job one non-Muslim asked me why we didn't eat beef in the break room, I said 'that is hindus not muslims' and then turned to the brothers sat there also who were on this kaffirs team with their pious jubbahs and huge beards and asked them 'have you never explained islam to him? why doesn't he know the difference between islam and hinduism?'

They said they stuck to themselves and didn't share their religion even though they'd worked with this guy for years, I think that is going to be true of most people reading this isn't it? you stick to yourself, you don't speak about Islam for fear of offending others and so big yourself deeper and deeper into sin just by living here in the UK and the west.

If that isn't enough to wake you up I don't know what will. You live here, you take jobs, take benefits, and you don't even bother to give them the offer of Islam in return, what is wrong with you? why are you so selfish and lazy? If you really wanted to give Da'wah you would, don't make excuses now because very few of them will wash.

Now get out there and do some da'wah, find some of the people in your city engaged in Da'wah and help them, call on your neighbours, people at your school / college / work to Islam because if you don't you might as well just leave now, it would be better for you to be poor back wherever your family comes from than putting yourself in spiritual danger here by not doing Da'wah.

You can't take your car, your houses, your beautiful stuff with you, only your good deeds and you are in a perfect position to do the work of the prophets but most of you are more interested in this life not the next if we look at the reality of the situation based on peoples deeds.

Assalaamu Alaykum,

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
alcurad
03-12-2009, 04:08 PM
brother Dawud, it is not so easy to do what you are saying, we are not living in the time of the prophet , and not all verses apply to the same degree all the time.
so don't stretch yourself, those who don't want to believe won't, the verse reads:
" Proclaim: "This is the truth from your Lord," then whoever wills let him believe, and whoever wills let him disbelieve..." 18:29
the point is to live as a good muslim, and better oneself, ones family, and then if you wish to go out and spread the religion by other means go ahead. I say this since our conduct is more effective than going out and telling people to become muslim, the brothers you mentioned in your example did make a mistake, but other than correcting the questioners view point, and perhaps telling more about certain aspects and so on, there is not much that can be done except in the case of good conduct.

Muezzin
03-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Right, with the blatant ad hominem attacks under the guise of 'caring enough to criticize' out of the way, I hope we can all get back to discussing the first post itself rather than the character of the person who posted it.

Because nobody really likes my version of 'tough love'.

alcurad
03-12-2009, 04:40 PM
we are all humans, we all have faults, although some criticism is to be accepted.
I think brother Dawud is trying his best at applying what he believes in, that is to be commended, although allow me to say that the majority of muslim countries are no better than the rest of the world when it comes to it, some have worse living conditions, and I truly don't believe it is best for you to actually consider moving out.
If we all packed up and left, who will remain to show them our way of life, exposure is the best solution even though in some cases it might lead to worse perceptions.
but those were lost causes anyway, the majority of the people are like you and me, I believe all the brain washing -to use a vintage term- being enacted out, through schools and media etc is the reason they are a certain way.
remember yourself brother, as I recall you were not a muslim some time ago, I believe giving people the benefit of the doubt is better than condemning, I am not happy at all with the state of affairs as they are today, but moving away is only going to seclude us and shut us from influencing others.

anyway, I think it is beneficent to discuss ways in which Daw'wah could be given other than the traditional methods, since these are applied nowadys and are not so effective, not to mention are extremely hard to continue.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
03-12-2009, 04:57 PM
what about western Muslims who are originally British, or German or American? up and go into what? what place would actually take them so they are capable in the very least of having a job not just to support their family but to fulfil one of their pillars which is to give to charity.. another dar kufr? Name me one 'Muslim country' living under proper Islamic rule? not lashing out an 80 year old woman while its 'royals' gamble, drink and spend 6000 British pounds on a pack of gum..
Do you think all our problems will be solved is there is an influx of immigrants from every where in the world as Muslims are in China as they are in the United States...

Please have an effective plan and realistic mode of action so that when you advocate with good will what we all should collectively do, all 1.86 billion of us it can be elucidated to the rest of us in an effective way!

Migration from oppression is something Muslims are supposed to do.. Frankly so called Muslim countries have implemented more horrifying torture to its nationals.. If you don't believe me, try to ask or google a little what they do to Muslims such as yourself and their families in Syrian and Egyptian prisons.

I think a better action plan would be how to overthrow oppression and establish peace so that there would really be no excuse for Muslims to be living in 'dar al kufr' not simply substituting one bad situation for a worst situation..

and Allah swt knows best

:w:

Amadeus85
03-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Honestly I think that going from home to home with some religious message is irritating for the citizens. Its like acting of Jeahova Witnesses, who the more they wak, the more they are ingored. People are got tired of these kind of people, and so far they didnt manage to convert anyone.

Silver
03-12-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't think that it's possible for all muslims living in the west to come and live in muslim countries...

Danah
03-12-2009, 11:06 PM
I know that this may upset some muslims who really work very hard to live in an islamic country......I will be very honest on this

I know its hard to be on non muslim country, trying your best to raise your children on an islamic environment teaching them islam inside the home while when they go out see everything different. I have been in UK for few months in the past and I saw how bad the situation there

but I really envy those muslims who live in west, because those are the real Mujahiden in my opinion. They are struggling to be good muslims in corrupted societies and above all of that.....they have the chance to perform dawah

I am living in an Islamic country, and I hope to see someone asking me about my religion.......the majority of people here in my society "or lets say in the area I am living in" are muslims. I hope that I live in a non-muslim country so I can be with those real muslims who work on Dawah

transition?
03-12-2009, 11:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA
I know that this may upset some muslims who really work very hard to live in an islamic country......I will be very honest on this

I know its hard to be on non muslim country, trying your best to raise your children on an islamic environment teaching them islam inside the home while when they go out see everything different. I have been in UK for few months in the past and I saw how bad the situation there

but I really envy those muslims who live in west, because those are the real Mujahiden in my opinion. They are struggling to be good muslims in corrupted societies and above all of that.....they have the chance to perform dawah

I am living in an Islamic country, and I hope to see someone asking me about my religion.......the majority of people here in my society "or lets say in the area I am living in" are muslims. I hope that I live in a non-muslim country so I can be with those real muslims who work on Dawah
:sl:

You can always push more changes in the slowly eroding "Islamic"/Muslim countries as of now. : ).
p.s. I have no clue how realistic that is, but it's a possible suggestion *shrug* only trying to be optimistic
:shade:

transition?
03-12-2009, 11:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
what about western Muslims who are originally British, or German or American? up and go into what? what place would actually take them so they are capable in the very least of having a job not just to support their family but to fulfil one of their pillars which is to give to charity.. another dar kufr? Name me one 'Muslim country' living under proper Islamic rule? not lashing out an 80 year old woman while its 'royals' gamble, drink and spend 6000 British pounds on a pack of gum..
Do you think all our problems will be solved is there is an influx of immigrants from every where in the world as Muslims are in China as they are in the United States...

Please have an effective plan and realistic mode of action so that when you advocate with good will what we all should collectively do, all 1.86 billion of us it can be elucidated to the rest of us in an effective way!

Migration from oppression is something Muslims are supposed to do.. Frankly so called Muslim countries have implemented more horrifying torture to its nationals.. If you don't believe me, try to ask or google a little what they do to Muslims such as yourself and their families in Syrian and Egyptian prisons.

I think a better action plan would be how to overthrow oppression and establish peace so that there would really be no excuse for Muslims to be living in 'dar al kufr' not simply substituting one bad situation for a worst situation..

and Allah swt knows best

One has to wonder maybe with the migration (if ever possible) that it could pressure the Muslim lands to end their oppression and find better leadership or can we hypothetically do that from pressuring them from where ever 1.86 billion Muslims already live.

I've always wondered how we would end oppression under the so called Islamic rule in Muslim lands...

rpwelton
03-12-2009, 11:39 PM
The unfortunate thing on top of it all is how difficult most Muslim countries make citizenship to attain.

جوري
03-13-2009, 02:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by transition?
One has to wonder maybe with the migration (if ever possible) that it could pressure the Muslim lands to end their oppression and find better leadership or can we hypothetically do that from pressuring them from where ever 1.86 billion Muslims already live.

I've always wondered how we would end oppression under the so called Islamic rule in Muslim lands...
I have had several ideas on how to do it and it is as simple as someone waking up one day getting on a horse or a bike 'Boston tea party style' knocking door to door to rally up a huge angry mob --yeah they will be casualties, but there are casualties now when the enemies come to our home lands grab private citizens strip them of their clothes and have dogs eating their genitals and then posting it on the web..

I don't know I believe every Muslim has a role to play, if you are a teacher teach, if you are a warrior train, if you are rich give of your wealth, if you are a scholar preach if you are a doctor then heal, if you are a writer than change with your pen. EVERYONE HAS A ROLE TO PLAY that is how I was brought up.. but we can't all do the exact same thing to be effectual and beneficial to the umma

my two cents

Silver
03-13-2009, 04:55 AM
I don't think that it's possible for all muslims living in the west to come and live in muslim countries...
First, the citizens of muslim countries are already haing a hard time finding jobs so if the number of muslims in those countries was going to increase, it would make it even more difficult to find jobs.
In most muslim countries, you cannot obtain citizenship easily...
If all muslims leave the west, who is gonna be left to make daawa?

Dawud_uk
03-13-2009, 06:13 AM

i hadnt really wanted this to be a thread on hijrah, but on my frustrations with the muslims whilst we are here in darul kufr whether we believe it to be permissable or not. you can read my blog or other posts on hijrah on here if you want to get my views on that.

and lets be honest, the muslims here are a mess, most of the drug dealers in leicester are muslims, many of the medium players and suppliers bringing them in also.

so instead of us giving out positive da'wah, we are pushing people away from islam when many non-muslims feel we are worse than they are and i have had that comment many times on the stall, that muslims are getting worse than the non-muslims.

but dealing with the 'practicing' muslims, why dont we give da'wah? why dont we offer to help our elderly neighbours? why dont we talk to the person next to us in the bus que? do we even talk to the person we sit next to at work or school or college every day?

almost always the answer is no, and why not?
nevermind the public da'wah that we should be doing as a community, it is almost totally absent.

we have people like sheikh khalid yasin and billal philips who put on da'wah training course but they are under attended as people are too busy with their dunya.

we need to wake up, we need to get the rest of the muslims to rise up and be counted and go call the people to Allah, otherwise why are they here?

to be honest i call most 'practicing' muslims in leicester five-pillar muslims as that is usually all they do and they look at you funny when you suggest they might have other duties other than this, yeah its a good start but the five pillars are the base not the whole structure and we need to get on with things as a community, put our belief in da'wah and our rejection of taghoot into action and words, to forbid the evils in society and enjoin the good.

Snowflake
03-13-2009, 06:56 AM
I agree with a lot said, but it isn't easy to give Dawah just because we should. If we aren't armed with the right knowledge (and we will be asked questions about Islam) we can do more harm than good.

I am about to register myself with Zakir Naik's dawah training program. I don't feel I can do a good job without getting some sort of help myself. But I agree we need to do more. InshaAllah.

http://www.irf.net/irf/dtp/register.htm

Dawud_uk
03-13-2009, 07:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
I agree with a lot said, but it isn't easy to give Dawah just because we should. If we aren't armed with the right knowledge (and we will be asked questions about Islam) we can do more harm than good.

I am about to register myself with Zakir Naik's dawah training program. I don't feel I can do a good job without getting some sort of help myself. But I agree we need to do more. InshaAllah.

http://www.irf.net/irf/dtp/register.htm
jazakallah khairan sister for bringing up excuse number one for not giving da'wah...

i don't have enough knowledge so will make mistakes, not know the answer to a particular question and so be a bad da'ee.

first of all you don't need a phd in islamic studies to be a da'ee, in fact most ulema and imams i have seen try to do da'wah do it very badly in fact using lots of arabic words and complex terms the non-muslims and even many muslims dont understand.

so how much knowledge do you need to give da'wah? is there anyone here who doesnt know surah ikhlas and its translation?

Qul, hu-wallahu ‘ahad,
Say, he is Allah – the one,

Allahus-Samad,
Allah the eternally besought,

Lam yalid wa lam yuulad,
He begets not, nor was begotten,

Walam yakul-la-huu, kufuwan ‘ahad,
And there is none comparable to him.

(Quran, Chapter Ikhlaas)

Now you can go give Da'wah, if we are supposed to teach only if we know one ayat now you know four you can use to call to Allah.

One of the biggest problems with this idea of not being knowledgeable enough is people think the likes of Dr Zakir Naik or Khalid Yasin etc just had all this knowledge and then started giving Da'wah, rather than doing Da'wah and then using this to direct their learning to become a better da'ee.

Others think you need an intimate knowledge of others scripture to call them, no you don't, it helps sometimes but isn't necessary. I can proove others scriptures are false by showing just a few contradictions and showing why this isnt the case with the Quran, i don't need to know the whole bible, or guru granth Sahib or Torah for that, a little is enough. Plus if you wanted to disprove the religions of those around you this way you need to learn lots of different books of scripture where as its just easier to learn one as you go along, the Quran and use that instead.

So you start with a little knowledge, call people you meet and if they ask you a question you don't know don't be affraid to say I don't know and go find the answer, don't just make it up, go away get the answer and then give it to them so take their email or telephone number if a random stranger you are talking to so you can get them the answer.

Learning to give Da'wah is not something you can really do in the classroom or read from a book, you need to do it in a practical way and learn as you go along, then those classes and books come in handy.

you only need a little bit of knowledge to get going in the first place, learn the rest later.

Danah
03-13-2009, 11:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by transition?

You can always push more changes in the slowly eroding "Islamic"/Muslim countries as of now. : ).
p.s. I have no clue how realistic that is, but it's a possible suggestion *shrug* only trying to be optimistic
:shade:
Dawah activities here are almost dead......there are very few centers for dawah that you can count them on your single hand fingers

my ultimate dream is to join one of those amazing scholars Dawah programs like Zakir Naik, Yusef Estes, or Bilal Philip.....and many others

I think the best thing I can do in my current situation is performing Dawah through the internet or just support the Dawah activities financially ....nothing else :(

I think Muslims in the west have been given a golden chance and they will regret it if they dont use it wisely
May Allah help us to be able to support this great deen

Silver
03-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Dawah activities here are almost dead......there are very few centers for dawah that you can count them on your single hand fingers
It's the same in Lebanon and they give daawa to those who are already muslims! They don't bother giving daawa to christians who are 30-40% of the population.

Danah
03-13-2009, 12:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lara
It's the same in Lebanon and they give daawa to those who are already muslims! They don't bother giving daawa to christians who are 30-40% of the population.
see how the dawah is dead in Muslims Countries???

what about me?
I am in one of the Gulf countries....so all the citizens are muslims, they are very few activities to give dawah to Muslims themselves to be good muslims

AntiKarateKid
03-13-2009, 01:12 PM

my ultimate dream is to join one of those amazing scholars Dawah programs like Zakir Naik, Yusef Estes, or Bilal Philip.....and many others

I think the best thing I can do in my current situation is performing Dawah through the internet or just support the Dawah activities financially ....nothing else :(

I think Muslims in the west have been given a golden chance and they will regret it if they dont use it wisely
May Allah help us to be able to support this great deen

haha I remember I zealously tried to give dawah to these atheists in my college suite. I had jsut become religious and couldnt comprehend why they were atheist. Needless to say I wasnt knowledgeable but still could hold my own with their questions like "can God create a rock he cant lift."

My friends say I didnt stop talking about God. Anyways, after a year I have a couple of good counter Christian arguments and counter atheist arguments after debating with my atheist philosophy professor and watching alot of Deedat. Books such as "God'ed" and "MisGoded" are excellent dawah ammo against Christians.

Danah
03-13-2009, 03:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
haha I remember I zealously tried to give dawah to these atheists in my college suite. I had jsut become religious and couldnt comprehend why they were atheist. Needless to say I wasnt knowledgeable but still could hold my own with their questions like "can God create a rock he cant lift."

My friends say I didnt stop talking about God. Anyways, after a year I have a couple of good counter Christian arguments and counter atheist arguments after debating with my atheist philosophy professor and watching alot of Deedat. Books such as "God'ed" and "MisGoded" are excellent dawah ammo against Christians.
well, for me even in the collage....all girls are Muslims so I dont have anyone to give dawah to....so I dont have any other choices
I think there is no harm from being able to handle debates.........those books you recommended seems to be good sources, I will look at them but can you please tell me the authors of those books?......I still need to work on my knowledge to be more knowledgeable but even though, I cant accept the excuse of leaving dawah because we dont have the enough knowledge

but in general people here are doing some activities to help muslims to be better muslims........but there is no serious moves for giving dawah to non-muslims

AntiKarateKid
03-13-2009, 03:38 PM
well, for me even in the collage....all girls are Muslims so I dont have anyone to give dawah to....so I dont have any other choices
I think there is no harm from being able to handle debates.........those books you recommended seems to be good sources, I will look at them but can you please tell me the authors of those books?......I still need to work on my knowledge to be more knowledgeable but even though, I cant accept the excuse of leaving dawah because we dont have the enough knowledge

but in general people here are doing some activities to help muslims to be better muslims........but there is no serious moves for giving dawah to non-muslims

The author is a professor who converted to Islam. His book is slightly humorous too.

For example: Christians say OMG Jesus can walk on water... He's DIVINE!
Author replies: Well if Jesus was around the time of Moses he wouldnt of had to.

I actually laughed out loud on that one.:D

AntiKarateKid
03-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Living in America, I always found the idea of living in a predominately Muslim country fascinating.

On a sidenote for some reason I was disappointed to learn that there were irreligious arabs in Saudi Arabia. I thought... the Quran is in your language man.. whats your problem?

Even though it is blindingly obvious that there are irreligious people everwhere.

Danah
03-13-2009, 03:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
Living in America, I always found the idea of living in a predominately Muslim country fascinating.

On a sidenote for some reason I was disappointed to learn that there were irreligious arabs in Saudi Arabia. I thought... the Quran is in your language man.. whats your problem?

Even though it is blindingly obvious that there are irreligious people everwhere.
being Arab has nothing to do with being a good muslim at all. you will find many Arab people who can understand the Quran word by word....but come and see how they practice their religion +o(
I dunno why many people shocked when they know that there are some bad examples of Muslims among arabs :?

for such people, they really dont deserve the honor of speaking the language of Quran......la hawl wa la qwata ila billah

while you can see some other non arab people who are struggling to learn a word from Quran but they are much more better than those losers who call themselves Arab and dont practice their religion correctly

brother, about the author of the two books you mentioned "God'ed" and "MisGoded" dont you have any idea of their authors?

AntiKarateKid
03-13-2009, 03:53 PM
being Arab has nothing to do with being a good muslim at all. you will find many Arab people who can understand the Quran word by word....but come and see how they practice their religion +o(
I dunno why many people shocked when they know that there are some bad examples of Muslims among arabs :?

for such people, they really dont deserve the honor of speaking the language of Quran......la hawl wa la qwata ila billah

while you can see some other non arab people who are struggling to learn a word from Quran but they are much more better than those losers who call themselves Arab and dont practice their religion correctly

brother, about the author of the two books you mentioned "God'ed" and "MisGoded" dont you have any idea of their authors?

I do, in fact he was interviewed by the same guy who interviewed Jeffrey Lang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNjMF...eature=related

The guy being interviewed is the author lol. Dr. Lawrence Brown.

crayon
03-13-2009, 03:54 PM
I don't want to participate in this discussion, but all I want to say is this:

Da'wah is not limited to non muslims, one can give da'wah even to muslims, in the form of enjoining the good and forbidding the evil. Also, by clarifying things that a fellow muslim may be doing incorrectly. By trying to advise someone, and correct something in a fellow muslim's way of prayer, or hijab, or anything, one is performing da'wah. You can also spread knowledge to muslims; yes, they may be muslim, but that doesn't mean they know everything there is to know in islam. So da'wah is also done by teaching muslims.

aadil77
03-13-2009, 04:15 PM
I don't think all people are able to perform dawah.

First of all you need the knowledge
Then you need extremely good speaking skills, especially in the UK or people will look at you like crap
Then it depends on your situation, what kind of people you're dealing with etc.

I was about to give dawah to some christians that were handing out magazines to houses on my street, they asked if they could come in later and talk a bit about what they're doing, I said yeh and you can listen to what I have to say. next thing you know is they never turned up

So basically you can get situations like these where it easy to give dawah

So I think if any of you brothers and sisters get opportunties like this for dawah,make the most of them

cihad
03-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Its not about handing out leaflets, most people are just going to dump it in the next bin they see. Giving Dawah is supposed to be the way we live..all the time how we treat other people. We should let people have a good reputation of us and respect us , then only will they listen to us. The prophet only got the revelation when he was 40...why, because he had to build his reputation as a good , honest person, a person people would believe

Woodrow
03-13-2009, 07:12 PM
We are all capable of giving Da'wah. The most effective Da'wah for some of us is to simply live as being the best Muslim we can be and honestly answer any questions asked of us.

We also need to identify the peer group we have best communication with. No person can speak to all types of groups. At the moment I seem to have found my niche among the Oglala and Lakota of the Sioux Nation. We share much in common, mainly horses. Horses are a very major part of the Sioux life and our raising and and selling horses among the Sioux has proven to be a very effective communication asset and opens the door for being asked questions about Islam.

God-is-great
03-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Subhanallah, as I was reading the thread, it reminded me of the Mormons
It made me think; if those Mormons can go around with their bicycles spreading their religion
why not us Muslims? I know it’s very difficult here in the west. But I really think it could be done
amongst the neighbors at least.
this also made me sort of ashamed of my Muslims brothers and sisters and myself of course
look how much dedicated the Mormons are to their religion
you don’t see a Muslim going door-to-door spreading the religion
anyways, it’s just something to think about :)

rpwelton
03-13-2009, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by God-is-great
It made me think; if those Mormons can go around with their bicycles spreading their religion
why not us Muslims? I know it’s very difficult here in the west. But I really think it could be done
this also made me sort of ashamed of my Muslims brothers and sisters and myself of course
I think we can take the idea of dedicated dawah from the Mormons, but the whole going door to door thing has really given the Mormons and Jehova's Witnesses a bad reputation. We don't want to be forcing Islam on people. It's best we meet them on neutral ground to discuss Islam (in a park, in a mall, at a school, etc).

But, I do admire that they actually dedicate several years of their lives to pure dawah. I think we can learn from that, and instead of riding around to people's houses, let's hold Q&A sessions, open dawah booths at malls and parks, and give lectures and speeches.

Woodrow
03-13-2009, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by God-is-great

Door to door evangelism is not a very effective means. We must always keep in mind that we can not force anybody to accept Islam and we do not want to turn people against Islam by being a nuisance. Few people seem to be receptive of JWs and Mormons who come door to door. I do not think that approach gives a good impression.

I think we need to show that we have something worth saying and encourage people to ask us to come to their homes, not impose our selves upon them.

God-is-great
03-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Of course we don’t want to force Islam to people
what would they think of us if we do that? I can imagine them turning the other way when seeing a Muslim or shutting the door in front of our faces
what I’m trying to get at is the fact that we should at least do something to spread Islam
im sure there are many ways this can be accomplish
your idea of holding Q&A sessions brother rpwelton, is something we should keep in mind
I think it could be done

Tony
03-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Personally I feel that Im nervous of explaining Islam to others, what if I am the only contact they have with Islam and I do something or say something that ruins their chance of being a Muslim and recognising the truth.

Woodrow
03-13-2009, 08:55 PM
Q&A is a very good method of giving Da'wah.

Since I have reverted to Islam I have lived in 2 different parts of the USA. When I lived in Austin, Q&A was difficult for me as there is a large Muslim population and the average Austinite had more knowledge of Islam then I have. Here out on the Sioux reservations, most of the Sioux had never seen a Muslim nor have any concept of Islam. Q&A sessions are often requested and the people are very curious to learn.

In the entire State of SD I only know of 10 Sioux Muslims. 2 of them being my wife and myself. although we are not Sioux we are accepted as being adopted Sioux by the people on Pine Ridge and the Cheyenne River.

Silver
03-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Personally I feel that Im nervous of explaining Islam to others, what if I am the only contact they have with Islam and I do something or say something that ruins their chance of being a Muslim and recognising the truth.
I feel the same...what if I cannot answer their questions? What if I answer incorrectly? But whenever I get the chance, I do explain the basics of Islam to non-muslims and try to clear a few misconceptions...

Tony
03-13-2009, 09:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lara
I feel the same...what if I cannot answer their questions? What if I answer incorrectly? But whenever I get the chance, I do explain the basics of Islam to non-muslims and try to clear a few misconceptions...
Yes its important to try when asked. I just gave a christian my Qur'an. They asked me for it and on previous occassions have tried to steer away from religious discussion . I suppose giving Qur'an is a sure way of giving the absolute truth. Peace

AntiKarateKid
03-13-2009, 09:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TKTony
Yes its important to try when asked. I just gave a christian my Qur'an. They asked me for it and on previous occassions have tried to steer away from religious discussion . I suppose giving Qur'an is a sure way of giving the absolute truth. Peace

I'm planning on doing just that!

My agnostic friend and I talk about this stuff (he's an ex-Christian) and I plan on giving him Yusuf Ali's Meaning of the Holy Quran ( it has explanations of the verses so he doesn't get confused).

I took him to Jumah once too.

Slowly but surely I need to knock down all the barriers.

(We are currently stuck on "Can God create a stone he can't lift" and questions of the nature of God which I will answer on Monday-ish)

Tony
03-13-2009, 09:25 PM
can God create a stone he cant lift ? dont get that, have I missed point. Peace

Uthman
03-13-2009, 09:50 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by TKTony
can God create a stone he cant lift ? dont get that, have I missed point. Peace
See here:

http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...tml#post159715

:)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.