/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Divorce is the latest recession casualty: married couples can't afford to separate

Chuck
03-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Very interesting:
Call it sleeping with the enemy. Or at least, living with him or her. For married couples who want to part ways, breaking up is not only hard to do, it's so out of the question these days that many are staying together under one roof to wait out the recession.
Couples who fall out of love may not even have a job anymore, much less the funds to hire an attorney to make their split legal. With housing prices down, they can't afford to sell off the real estate and go their separate ways. So some are biding their time by tolerating the other's company on their home turf. It's faux separation, recession style.

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle..._casualty.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Eric H
03-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Chuck,

Is there a silver lining? "People are going to be forced to try what they should have tried before - making the marriage work," says Weil. "In many cases, I think people should try harder instead of just leaving a marriage. Some couples could actually turn this crisis into an opportunity.
There is just a possibility some good might come of this, maybe people will treat marriage more seriously in future.

In the spirit of praying for loving relationships, with God at the centre

Eric

Woodrow
03-14-2009, 11:47 PM
It would be nice if someday a study is done to show how many divorces are prevented because of the recession and out of those, how many resulted in a very happy reconciliation.

Access to divorce has become too easy, anything that makes it a difficult process and calls for seeing an honest need for the divorce may be a blessing, coming from the pains of the recession.

Khalil_Allah
03-14-2009, 11:49 PM
I have even seen signs on the highway advertising divorce lawyers that say:

"Life's too short, get a divorce!"

EstaghfirAllah man!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al-Zaara
03-15-2009, 07:07 AM
If there are couples that divorce very fast, I'd say also marriage should be made more difficult. That way you know you wanna go for it, even after all the difficulty. :D

But making divorce very hard isn't always a blessing or anything good, it is hard to generalize when there actually are lots of marriages that really should end.

Chuck
03-15-2009, 07:14 AM
western world, marriage is already very hard. Most people I know living together but they don't want to marry. They are living together for more than 4 years. Some of them living together for 10 years.

Muezzin
03-20-2009, 07:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khalil_Allah
I have even seen signs on the highway advertising divorce lawyers that say:

"Life's too short, get a Pre-nup!"

EstaghfirAllah man!
Fixed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.