/* */

PDA

View Full Version : God or god?

'Abdul Rahmaan
03-15-2009, 02:12 AM
There is no god other than Allah.

Is it correct to write it the way I've written above keeping in mind that the word 'god' is with small 'g' ?

OR it is correct the way I've written below ?

There is no God other than Allah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
KashifB
03-15-2009, 10:36 PM
:sl:

I would write God.

Allah in Arabic means God and has a capital letter hence why I write God with a capital letter.

KiWi
03-15-2009, 11:36 PM
yeah, same here
i write God with a capital g
I think it shows that He is one true God..he is God.
and all of the other gods mentioned in olden times are phony and man-made

Na7lah
03-15-2009, 11:41 PM
I use a capitol G when speaking about a specific god. but when its general like 'we learned the meaning of the word god today' i'll use a lower case. So if I was speaking about Allah and i used the word 'god' i'd make the g upper case 'God'

Allahu A3lam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
doorster
03-16-2009, 12:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KashifB

I would write God.

Allah in Arabic means God and has a capital letter hence why I write God with a capital letter.
there may be something for you at >> Why do you say Allah and not God?

:w:

Yanal
03-16-2009, 12:23 AM
Allah deserves all. Capital G.

Yanal
03-16-2009, 12:24 AM
Brother doorster the question is G with a capital or not,not what should we call Allah.

coddles76
03-16-2009, 12:29 AM
I agree with doorster and the only befitting name is Allah. As muslims there shouldn't be a debate on whether to use G or g or j or h cause the only befitting name to the All Mighty creator is Allah, The ONE.

doorster
03-16-2009, 12:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Brother doorster the question is G with a capital or not,not what should we call Allah.
Allah is the only all encompassing phrase befitting, for His (The One God) high attributes

Yanal
03-16-2009, 12:33 AM
^ absolutely I was just informing you.

doorster
03-16-2009, 12:35 AM
^^ okay, jazakAllah khair

Whatsthepoint
03-16-2009, 12:41 AM
I use god for all gods.
The only god whose name I capitalize is the judeochristian god, who's name is God.

doorster
03-16-2009, 12:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mercurial
There is no god other than Allah.

Is it correct to write it the way I've written above keeping in mind that the word 'god' is with small 'g' ?

OR it is correct the way I've written below ?

There is no God other than Allah.
There is no god other than Allah
if that is your interpretation of shahadat, then small g is correct, illah is god in English

Woodrow
03-16-2009, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doorster
if that is your interpretation of shahadat, then small g is correct, illah is god in English
True, an ACCURATE translation into English would be a small g. The capital G is a specific name of a specifically named god specifiacally a god named God.

in Arabic illah has no reference to Allaah(swt) and God is not the Name of Allaah(swt). To use a capital G makes no more sense than translating "La Ilaha Illa Allah" as being "There is no George except Allaah(swt) " Absolutely without sense.

Perhaps to avoid this confusion us English speaking people should start saying "There is no illah Except Allaah"

KashifB
03-16-2009, 09:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by coddles76
I agree with doorster and the only befitting name is Allah. As muslims there shouldn't be a debate on whether to use G or g or j or h cause the only befitting name to the All Mighty creator is Allah, The ONE.
What about the other names we have been instructed to use to call Allah subhanahu wata'ala?

doorster
03-16-2009, 09:52 AM
What about the other names we have been instructed to use to call Allah subhanahu wata'ala?
if it is a real question (as opposed to your usual rhetorical ones where you assume that you already know it all) it is easily answerable.

**just say which it is
rhetorical (because you know-it-all-already)
or
desire to know
edit:
**answering your "question" without first finding out your motivation will result in your usual nit-picking (as it has happened at least twice before)

KashifB
03-16-2009, 10:21 AM
if it is a real question (as opposed to your usual rhetorical ones where you assume that you already know it all) it is easily answerable.

just say which it is
rhetorical (because you know-it-all-already)
or
desire to know
I don't ask questions I know the answers to.

I hope you find peace brother. I haven't been in this forum for long, but it seems to me that most of your posts are personal attacks on people. I don't mind what you've said about me. I don't care how you judge me, I only care how Allah subhanahu wata'ala judges me.

Peace

Peterwf
03-16-2009, 10:51 AM
If I remember my English from school about 50 years ago, (which I failed) there are nouns, common nouns and proper nouns.
A proper noun has two distinctive features:
1) it will name a specific [usually a one-of-a-kind] item, and
2) it will begin with a capital letter no matter where it occurs in a sentence.

So if the name I call Allah is God, then I am using a proper noun and therefore it must be capitalised.

There is only one deity worthy of praise.

doorster
03-16-2009, 09:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Peterwf
If I remember my English from school about 50 years ago, (which I failed) there are nouns, common nouns and proper nouns.
A proper noun has two distinctive features:
1) it will name a specific [usually a one-of-a-kind] item, and
2) it will begin with a capital letter no matter where it occurs in a sentence.

So if the name I call Allah is God, then I am using a proper noun and therefore it must be capitalised.

There is only one deity worthy of praise.
yes, but the reason I am trying to stop my family and friends from using the word God/god is, its association with or origins from Hinduism as explained by Br. Woodrow @ here and here

Peterwf
03-16-2009, 10:36 PM
yes, but the reason I am trying to stop my family and friends from using the word God/god is, its association with or origins from Hinduism as explained by Br. Woodrow @ here and here

I agree.
And there are many other pagan groups.
Also for those who do not have a good command of the english language.

To use the name "Allah" avoids these confusions.
As long as this does not take away anything from who Allah is.

coddles76
03-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Good point and I agree that there are 99 Befitting names attributed to the creator but I was hoping that my point was clear in reference to using the word god or God.

Wa Salam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!