/* */

PDA

View Full Version : MUST READ - Amazing thought provoking deep quotes

_Rida_
03-15-2009, 02:05 PM
:salamext:

Some thought provoking quotes of Rabia Al Basri, my favourites are highlighted in Red.

SubhanAllah, when you read the quotes, see how much love she had for Allah subhan wa taa'la. May Allah grant us the ability to love Him more than anyone else, and may He instill the desire of meeting Him in our hearts, Ameen.

Rabia al-Adawiyyah | Rabia Al Basri (Radi Allahu Taa'la Anha)

How long will you keep pounding on an open door
Begging for someone to open it?

---

Stay close by the door, if you desire all beauty
And leave aside sleep, if you wish to arrive

And make of the spirit your first place of account
To the beloved, whose lights shine as from gold

All of them worship out of fear of the fire
And consider deliverance abundant good fortune -

Or, so they may dwell in the gardens, and reach
To the meadows of paradise, and there drink from its rivers

Of gardens or fire I have no opinion
I seek no exchange for my dearest love

---

O Lord!
If I worship You from fear of Hell, cast me into Hell.
If I worship You from desire for Paradise, deny me Paradise
but if I worship You for Your own sake,
then withhold not from me Your Eternal Beauty

---

O my Lord, whatever share of this world You have bestowed on me, bestow it to my enemies, and whatever share of the next world You have for me, give it to my friends.
You are enough for me.

---

O Lord...
Once I wanted You so much
I didn't even dare walk past Your house--
And now
I am not even worthy to be let in

---

I swear that ever since the first day You brought me back to life,
The day You became my Friend,
I have not slept -
And even if You drive me from your door,
I swear again that we will never be separated -
Because You are alive in my heart

---

I love God: I have no time left In which to hate the devil.

---

Your hope in my heart is the rarest treasure
Your Name on my tongue is the sweetest word
My choicest hours
Are the hours I spend with You -

O God, I can't live in this world
Without remembering You

---

Then suddenly I am filled with it.
O Captain of my Heart,
Radiant Eye of Yearning in my breast...

SOURCE

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
03-15-2009, 02:11 PM
O Lord!
this part scares me so much....

_Rida_
03-15-2009, 02:16 PM
:salamext:

More;

True Devotion is for itself: not to desire heaven, not to fear hell [Rabia Al Basri]

Reality
In love, nothing exists between heart and heart.
Speech is born out of longing,
True description from the real taste.
The one who tastes, knows;
the one who explains, lies.
How can you describe the true form of Something
In whose presence you are blotted out?
And in whose being you still exist?
And who lives as a sign for your journey?

Al-Zaara
03-15-2009, 02:44 PM
I love her a lot, she's such an inspiration mashaAllah!!

O Lord...
Once I wanted You so much
I didn't even dare walk past Your house--
And now
I am not even worthy to be let in
One of my favourite parts.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ali.
03-15-2009, 09:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by _Rida_

O Lord!
This bit is so deep..

Thanks for sharing.

Zahida
03-15-2009, 10:15 PM
:sl: It is all beautiful. Ameen.:w::thankyou:

Al-Hanbali
03-17-2009, 02:44 PM
O Lord,
We worship Allaah ('azza wa jal) because of our LOVE for Him, out of FEAR of His punishments and out of HOPE for His mercy and rewards. These are the emotional factors, the principles which 'ibaadah is based upon. LOVE is the most important, but the other 2 are needed to properly perfect worship and spirutuality.

Re.TiReD
03-17-2009, 02:47 PM
^ Bayna Khawf wa Rahmah sa7?

I cant remember who said it though.

WassalamuAlaykum

_Rida_
03-17-2009, 02:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saifur-Rahmaan
We worship Allaah ('azza wa jal) because of our LOVE for Him, out of FEAR of His punishments and out of HOPE for His mercy and rewards. These are the emotional factors, the principles which 'ibaadah is based upon. LOVE is the most important, but the other 2 are needed to properly perfect worship and spirutuality.
Why are you lashing out at a person's statement whom after we add Radi Allahu Taa'la Anha? Subhan'Allah.

Al-Hanbali
03-17-2009, 02:59 PM
wa 'alaykum salaam

^ yes... 'ibaadah needs to encompass Love, Hope and Fear!

Allaah ('azza wa jal) says,

"Those whom they call upon [like 'Iesa (Jesus) ­ son of Maryam (Mary), 'Uzair (Ezra), angel, etc.] desire (for themselves) means of access to their Lord (Allah), as to which of them should be the nearest and they ['Iesa (Jesus), 'Uzair (Ezra), angels, etc.] hope for His Mercy and fear His Torment. Verily, the Torment of your Lord is something to be afraid of!" {Surah Israa, 56}

_Rida_
03-17-2009, 03:04 PM
You misread my quote - from fear of hell and desire of paradise - not fear of Allah and hope for His mercy. The quote is referring to paradise and hell, not Allah's attributes.

And Allah and His Messenger know best.

_Rida_
03-17-2009, 03:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Inaayah
^ Bayna Khawf wa Rahmah sa7?

I cant remember who said it though.

WassalamuAlaykum
Sorry? In english please?

Al-Hanbali
03-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Why are you lashing out at a person's statement whom after we add Radi Allahu Taa'la Anha? Subhan'Allah.
I'm sorry if my words seemed harsh, but my intent was not at all to 'lash' out at the individual. I just simply wanted to state that in order to perfect spirutuality in our worship, we need to have these 3 pillars (i.e. Love, Fear & Hope). Having one and leaving the others is a weakness and can lead to deviancy e.g. the Khawaarij & the Murjia'ah...

Allaahu a'lam.

Snowflake
03-17-2009, 03:10 PM
SubhanAllah :'(

This one touches me most deepest than anything in the world..

O Lord!

jazakiAllah for sharing :)

_Rida_
03-17-2009, 03:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saifur-Rahmaan
I'm sorry if my words seemed harsh, but my intent was not at all to 'lash' out at the individual. I just simply wanted to state that in order to perfect spirutuality in our worship, we need to have these 3 pillars (i.e. Love, Fear & Hope). Having one and leaving the others is a weakness and can lead to deviancy e.g. the Khawaarij & the Murjia'ah...

Allaahu a'lam.

You misread my quote - from fear of hell and desire of paradise - not fear of Allah and hope for His mercy. The quote is referring to paradise and hell, not Allah's attributes.

And Allah and His Messenger know best.

_Rida_
03-17-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm not arguing over a quote that someone so knowledgable and someone who loved Allah so much has said.

Allah and His Messenger know best.

May Allah instill His and His Rasool's love in our hearts, Ameen.

Al-Hanbali
03-17-2009, 03:21 PM
yh, I understand that...

When we say we fear Allaah ('azza wa jal), what do we fear? We fear His wrath, His punishments e.g. Jahannam etc. When we hope, what do we hope for? We hope for Allaah's mercy, His rewrds e.g. Jannah etc

Allaahu a'lam.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-17-2009, 03:22 PM
O Lord!
:sl:

Perhaps she meant something other than what is apparent from the words quoted here, but it needs to be clarified that a Muslim worships Allaah with love, fear and hope, all three together in a balance without the exclusion of any one of them. Ibn Rajab quotes in at-Takhweef minan-Naar as the saying of one of the Salaf:

"Whoever worships Allaah with Love only is indeed a Zindeeq (a heretic) and whoever worships Him with Hope only is indeed a Murji' (one who believes sins impart no harm to a persons faith) and whoever worships Him with Fear only is indeed a Harooree (one of those who believe that sins take a person out of Islaam) but whoever worships Him with Love, Fear and Hope is indeed a believing Muwahhid (one who performs the Tawheed of Allaah)."

An explanation of this quote can be found here: http://www.islamtoday.com/showme_wee...sub_cat_id=627

Ibn Qayyim says in Madârij al-Sâlikîn:
Khawf (fear) and rajaa' (hope) complement one another. The similitude of the heart in its travel to Allah is like a bird. Love is its head, and khawf and rajaa' are the wings. When the head and both wings are sound, the bird is capable and skilled in flying. However, when the head is cut off, the bird will die. When the bird loses a wing, it then becomes a target for every hunter and predator. The scholars favored, however, the wing of khawf over the wing of rajaa', especially when the person is young and healthy. They favored the wing of rajaa' over the wing of khawf when the person is about to leave this world.

Abu Sulaiman said, "The heart ought to have more khawf. When rajaa' dominates, it ruins it." It was also said, "The best state is to have the same amount of khawf and rajaa', but to have more love. Love is the boat, rajaa' is the leader, khawf is the driver, and Allah is the One Who helps those reach the goal by His Grace and Generosity."
Before anything, we love Allaah for all the blessings He has bestowed upon and because He has guided us to Islaam. We fear Him and His punishment of Hell; as Allaah quotes the Ibaad ar-Rahmaan, the true Servents of ar-Rahmaan as saying: {رَبَّنَا اصْرِفْ عَنَّا عَذَابَ جَهَنَّمَ إِنَّ عَذَابَهَا كَانَ غَرَاماً}{"Our Lord! Avert from us the torment of Hell. Verily! Its torment is ever an inseparable, permanent punishment."}. We hope in Allaah, His Mercy and we Hope to enter His Paradise and we are commanded to work for it:{And hasten to forgiveness from your Lord and a garden (وَجَنَّةٍ) as wide as the heavens and earth, prepared for the righteous.}

So why is there a need to distinguish between Allaah's Mercy and His paradise when you're supposed to be hoping for both? And why distinguish between fear of Allaah and fear of Hell when you're supposed to be fearing both? Really, it is unnecessary. The Jews emphasized fear whilst the Christians emphasized love and hope, and both groups are astray. True balance lies in between them.

Wallaahu 'alam.

_Rida_
03-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Allah and His Messenger know best. No other comment.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.