/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Praying salah out loud

innocent
03-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Is it true that Fajr, maghrib and Isha MUST be prayed out loud?
Or is it still accepted when prayed silently?
Jazakallah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
_Rida_
03-17-2009, 11:10 AM
:salamext:

Salah should be recited in a tone that isn’t so loud that other people can hear it, but loud enough so you can hear it.

And Allah and His Messenger know best.

jatagan
04-17-2009, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by _Rida_
:salamext:

Salah should be recited in a tone that isn’t so loud that other people can hear it, but loud enough so you can hear it.

And Allah and His Messenger know best.
So it means that only Fajr, Maghrib and Isha should be recited this way? And what about silently recited prayer Dhuhr and Asr should they be recited only quietly or "within oneself"? I live in a country where are no masjids near at hand and I can´t come together with other muslim on daily or even weekly basis so I´ve got these maybe funny questions. Please forgive me.

GreyKode
04-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Reading out loud from What I know is :
1)Sunnah i.e. not obligatory only preferable.
2)Important when leading a congregation(in the fajr maghrib and esha only).

But... reading out loud usually helps you in focusing more in your prayers.

And ALLAH knows best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
alcurad
04-17-2009, 08:47 PM
as per the Hanafi mathhab atleast, if you're following an imam-one who leads the prayer-you don't need to recite anything, rather listen to the Imam, when he is not reciting out loud you still don't need to recite anything, you could recite or you could say any prayer or be silent.

if you are leading the prayer then you recite in a voice that could be heard for the first two rak'a of the Fajr-which only has two anyway-Maghrib & 'isha, in the remaining rak'a or in the entire period that you're praying Thuhr and 'asr you don't recite out loudly-being an Imam-rather recite in a low tone.

if you are following an Imam in Thuhr and 'asr you don't need to recite, could do it or pray any other prayer or do any Thikr-silently-.

if you are praying alone, then you are an Imam-for yourself-, and the you follow the way of recitation he does.

GreyKode
04-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Great info alcurad.
Jazakallah khair.

xoxox
04-18-2009, 05:00 AM
is it alright for a girl (a mum or a sister) to recite aloud to a young boy (his son or brother).

MT2
04-18-2009, 05:13 AM
"Reciting out loud in the prayers in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) recited out loud, and silently in the prayers in which he recited silently, is one of the Sunnahs of prayer, not one of the obligatory duties. But it is better for the worshipper not to go against the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Reciting out loud in the prayers where this is done is not obligatory, rather it is what is better. If a person recites silently in a prayer in which it is prescribed to recite out loud, his prayer is not invalid, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no prayer for one who does not recite the Essence of the Book (al-Faatihah).” He did not specify whether this recitation is to be out loud or silent. So if a person recites what he is required to recite, silently or out loud, then he has fulfilled his duty. But it is better to recite out loud in the prayers where doing so is customary, as in Fajr and Jumu’ah prayers. "

There's more to it here: http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/67672

Yanal
04-18-2009, 05:22 AM
I always read silently most of the time because the mosque is far and I have no transportation.

jatagan
04-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Jazakallah Khair alcurad and MT2! I did it this way because it sounds very logicaly nevertheless I had got any support for my thoughts.

Khalisah
06-25-2009, 10:38 PM
:sl:

I know the last post on this thread was a while ago, but I just to clarify, is it the same for sisters? As in do they too have to recite out loud? And also I noticed a q' was asked, is it permissible to recite out loud when teaching children? Even the quiet Prayers?

Thank you

Intisar
06-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Just to clarify, the only first two rakats are supposed to be recited out loud. So Fajr is supposed to be recited out loud since it's only two rakats, Maghrib is three so only the first two, and finally 'Isha is four so only the first two are recited allowed.

nocturne
06-28-2009, 04:39 AM
What is the reason for the need to be silent during Asr and Dhur?

MT2
06-29-2009, 03:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nocturne
What is the reason for the need to be silent during Asr and Dhur?
I once heard in a speech that it's because Dhuhr and Asr are during the day when there are people circulating and at the time of prophet Muhammad (saw), praying out loud during the day could have brought attacks on the Muslims so prophet Muhammad (saw) would pray them silently and he (saw) would pray Fajr, Maghrib, and Isha out loud since they are prayed during the "quiet" times of the day.

I hope that I made sense.

edit---

Found this:

“The wisdom behind making Zuhr and `Asr silent, may be traced to the situation of the early Muslims in Makkah. During that period, Muslims were subject to persecution and torture. Thus, they were commanded to make their prayers silent in order to evade the torturing of the disbelievers who used to harm them. At the early morning, when the whole Makkah was sleeping, Muslims could make their prayer loud. Also, after sunset, the Quraish used to be busy with their social gatherings or celebrations where they used to drink wine or the like. So that time also was suitable for Muslims to make their prayer loud.

It is thus clear that silent recitation in both Zuhr and `Asr was just to evade the harm of the unbelievers. After their migration to Madinah, Muslims were no more subject to harm. However, the ruling of silent recitation for both Zuhr and `Asr was kept in force as a reminder for all Muslims that one day they were offering silent prayer out of fear of persecution. This also serves as an encouragement for all Muslims to praise Allah for His everlasting blessing and the overwhelming victory He granted them. Almighty Allah gives us a clear reminder of His grace in this respect when saying: “ And remember, when ye were few and reckoned feeble in the land, and were in fear lest men should extirpate you, how He gave you refuge, and strengthened you with His help, and made provision of good things for you, that haply ye might be thankful.” (Al-Anfal: 26)”

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503545926

AnberBHaq
08-14-2009, 03:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by innocent
Is it true that Fajr, maghrib and Isha MUST be prayed out loud?
Or is it still accepted when prayed silently?
Jazakallah.
When you pray, you shouldn't say it aloud. You may say it quietly to yourself but, no loud enough for anyone else to hear you, unless you are the Azan (i hope that is how you spell it)!

In fact, females should only say it aloud, sisters should not. That is what I know! :statisfie

GreyKode
08-14-2009, 03:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnberBHaq
When you pray, you shouldn't say it aloud. You may say it quietly to yourself but, no loud enough for anyone else to hear you, unless you are the Azan (i hope that is how you spell it)!

In fact, females should only say it aloud, sisters should not. That is what I know! :statisfie
Oh you mean the "Imam".. another thing, welcome to the forum :D.

Abdul Qadir
10-19-2009, 11:41 PM
salam,

i recite the prayer until ppl can hear me..this is even done in dhuhur and Asr prayer, and i even recite sunhana rabbil azeem during ruku and subhanarabbil a'ala during sujud like that...but its not loud like how the imam read...its noisy...i dun like to whisper during salat coz i cannot concentrate like that...so i pray in a noisy way...but not loud as in how the imam prays...is this correct? someone enlighten?

Laila-
11-29-2010, 09:47 PM
ha ha! I know how you feel brother, I cant concentrate praying quietly either, and yes it is allowed if it helps you to concentrate

sabr*
11-30-2010, 02:06 AM
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

What is disturbing that modern day Muslims have access to all Allah and his Nabi Muhammad (

) has directed and provided as an example and we continue to innovate. Islam doesn't require any additions. Just follow. Discontinue the bidah (innovation)

The daytime prayers are all silent (not audible) with the exception of Jummah and Janazah salat.

Surah Al-Isra 17:110

110. Say (O Muhammad

): "Invoke Allah or invoke the Most Beneficent (Allah), by whatever name you invoke Him (it is the same), for to Him belong the Best Names. And offer your Salat (prayer) neither aloud nor in a low voice, but follow a way between.
(Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan translation)

Instructed by Allah and shown how to perform the Salat by Jibril (AS)

Surah An-Najm 52:1-10

1. By the star when it goes down, (or vanishes).
2. Your companion (Muhammad

) has neither gone astray nor has erred.
3. Nor does he speak of (his own) desire.
4. It is only an Inspiration that is inspired.
5. He has been taught (this Qur'an) by one mighty in power [Jibrael (Gabriel)].
6. Dhu Mirrah (free from any defect in body and mind), Fastawa [then he (Jibrael - Gabriel) rose and became stable]. [Tafsir At-Tabari].
7. While he [Jibrael (Gabriel)] was in the highest part of the horizon,
8. Then he [Jibrael (Gabriel)] approached and came closer,
9. And was at a distance of two bows' length or (even) nearer,
10. So did (Allah) convey the Inspiration to His slave [Muhammad

through Jibrael (Gabriel)].
(Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan translation)

Sahih Bukhari Volume 1, Book 12, Number 727:

Narrated Abu Ma'mar:

I asked Khabbab whether the Prophet used to recite the Qur'an in the Zuhr and the 'Asr prayers. He replied in the affirmative. We said, "How did you come to know that?" He said, "From the movement of his beard."

Sahih Bukhari Volume 1, Book 12, Number 729:

Narrated 'Abdullah bin Abi Qatada:

My father said, "The Prophet used to recite Al-Fatiha along with another Sura in the first two Rakat of the Zuhr and the 'Asr prayers and at times a verse or so was audible to us."

Jazakumullahu Khair

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.