/* */

PDA

View Full Version : :( I have to choose my life in a week.

Raizins
03-22-2009, 01:02 PM
:sl:

Helloo ma sistas n bruvs. Ok I am having some issues. On.. Friday the guidance counsellor comes to our class and tells us to choose courses. They are to be submitted next Thursday. I have an idea which courses I want to take only because I've kind of decided not to go into sciences (HATE chem :( I wish I didn't), and I have so much room in my schedule to do whatever lol since by the time school's done this year I would have taken all my maths.

Though.. I donno I'm not sure I DON'T want to go into sciences, I don't want to regret not taking any courses.. But so many people out there know exactly what they want to do and what univerisity they want to go to, etc. And I don't. And my guidance counsellor says we basically have to decide what we want to be and what we want to do, where we want to go, how many children we want to have, the number of rooms in our house, the age we retire, etc. by next Thursday. :cry:That was a slight exageration. imsad

Yeah so that's pretty much it.. I don't have much to say but I needed to rant that out. OH and people ask me, "What do you like to do? What's your THANG?" WELL GUESS WHAT? :O I DONT HAVE A "THANG" gosh. I like to read.. Doesn't help. I like to travel.. I'd like to visit like every country in the world inshAllah.. What are some good careers that involve travelling?

JazakumAllahu kheirr.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
crayon
03-22-2009, 01:06 PM
You're still young, what's the rush?! Take life as it comes.
Loads of people think they know what to do at this age and end up changing majors and jobs dozens of times. You'll never be forced to stick with something you don't like inshaAllah.
As for what courses you should do, I suggest you take a different variety of things. A bit of science, social sciences, arts, humanities, to form the perfect combination. You're bound to prefer some things over others, and then you can focus on those, and find your niche.
And again, don't be worried that you don't know what you want to do with your life yet; there's still plenty of time for that.:)

S_87
03-22-2009, 01:10 PM
:sl:

ok i know you said dont ask 'whats your thing' but im going to ask anyway because i think you do have a 'thing' even though you may not specifically know exactly what you want! like you said, you dont like chemistry-so anything chemistry related you draw out.
what is your thing? can you see yourself in something medical related- can you picture yourself for example working in a hospital?
would being in a teaching field appeal to you, or would you prefer an office environment in say accounting or business, would you prefer working with children-like something in social services-have you got the patience to be a child psychologist?
do you prefer outdoor working or indoor?
you say you like travelling- well there are many things that you can do whilst travelling
but also bare in mind as a female you would require a mahram for travelling- would you be able to arrange that?

what are you choosing your options for btw? if its still for courses, you dont need to know EXACTLY what you want to become, but an idea of it would be good. for example why not make a list of the things that sound somewhat 'appealing' and then cross off what you cant do because it may for example involve you studying chemistry which you dont like, or dealing with children for which you have no patience etc

Al-Zaara
03-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Selam aleykum,

The girls gave you very good pieces of advice, mashaAllah.

If anything, choose lots of different things, because as you say you do not know what you want, so you gotta try it all to come to somewhat of an conclusion. If there's something you know you might hate, take only one course, just to be on the defintive side. Don't shy away from trying or getting dissappointed, it's all good for you.

As for your counsellor, I bet this is just some psychology trick from his side. The wo/man knows (or I assume s/he knows!) that people can change and do change often and few really stick to a plan without changing it on the way. I believe s/he only wants to make y'all really think what you are doing and start seeing yourself somewhere in life. It is never too early to think about it or have dreams and expectations, so let yourself be open-minded and be creative. You don't have to choose what to do for the rest of your life, 'cause trust me, something as simple as going to the store next-by might just take you somewhere else.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muhaba
03-22-2009, 01:54 PM
You said you like to read and travel. do you also like to write? you could try journalism or creative writing, non-fiction writing, travel-writing, etc.

KiWi
03-23-2009, 01:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
You said you like to read and travel. do you also like to write? you could try journalism or creative writing, non-fiction writing, travel-writing, etc.
Yeah, that’s wat I was thinking as well
u could also do international studies. u could be a diplomat.
that requires a lot of traveling, but I wouldn’t recommend that for a muslim woman
I mean u could do it if u got mahram with u. that’s not a problem
Im sure there r plenty of opportunity out there
u just gotta explore hon :D

Raizins
03-23-2009, 01:15 AM
JazakumAllahu kheiran to all of you , thanks a lot for reading and replying.

@crayon: Thank you sooo much sis barakAllahu feeki. I hear that all the time. But I don't want to be one of those people who reach age 30 then realize they went for the wrong degree lol. I would have wasted like most of my life by then. >_< InshAllah kheir!

@muhaba: Hmm I like to read and travel, and I sort of like to write but I'm not amazing at it. I like to keep journals.. stuff like that.

@Al-Zaara: BarakAllahu feeki. Thanks for you piece of advice. I'm pretty sure the consellor was just freaking us out lol he said it was alright if some people didn't know what they wanted to do. I just don't understand why they're pressuring us NOW. Back in our parents' days, they either didn't know what they wanted to do until they reached university, OR their parents forced them to go into medicine, which was pre-decided at the minute they were born.

@amani: Wa3alaikum as salam wara7matullahi wabarakatuh. As for the courses I'm taking.. I'm pretty much done with math like I've mentioned. If I wanted to go into sciences, my next step would be to take AP calc.. Otherwise, I don't really ever need to do math every again. Which is good but saddening at the same time. :p Im taking english, bio just cuz I love it, environmental sciences maybe- i hear there's a little bit of history with that too. like they study certain events in history and what effect it had on the planet green-wise, like the American Revolution. :S What else.. AP Psychology, french, law, sociology.. there's one more I can't think of it right now.. it might be like fashion design or internal combustion engines or something corny if I had room lol. Of course the room wouldn't be there if I decide I want to take chem after all. O_o Just suck it up. I donno. I have to decide within a week. :D

What do I like to do? My thang? Well I meant I don't have a REAL thang, like some people have basketball, others have piano, others have dance.. Something they've been doing since they were little. I'm not like that lol but I don't know. I don't really like to go outdoors when I'm forced. I mean I love it, and I love nature and going to like provincial parks and smelling the pine trees and sticky sap on the maple tree trunks rofl, and just admiring with awe at Allah's creations pretty much. But I don't think I'd want to be forced every single day to just go outside on a field or something. I was thinking :O WHAT ABOUT FORESTRY? I'm gonna have to research that inshAllah. I don't really know what they do. xD If all they do is plant trees, I don't know if I'd have the strength or patience. Idk. Maybe something to do with wildlife? Would I have to take chemistry if I wanted to study like, animal behaviours in certain habitats. Or just habitats in general :O And plants and all that. And endangered species! OOH IM ON A ROLL. That sounds like fun. :'( I always loved going on those field trips in elementary school I JUST remembered them.

Teaching was also an option btw, I was thinking elementary school english in another country.. That way at least I'll live somewhere different than where I was raised, Canada.. Even if it's in the middle east where I'm actually from, it would still be way different for me to live there. ^__^

alcurad
03-23-2009, 01:48 AM
if you were a bro I'd tell you to go into engineering right away:), truth to tell you sound like me back in high school, I still think I can do well in other fields at that.
You can do well in most fields, just that you would prefer some over others, try to decide atleast if you're more into math and tech, or humanities and the arts, this I believe is the only major choice you have to make, we all-atleast I do- like to read and travel and go outdoors, but this is not the same as a job you would be doing for a long time.
also these days there's a lot of interdisciplinary stuff, I just saw the opening of the bio-medical engineering department last year, anyhow, try to make a choice of wither (math/technology/engineering/medicine) or humanities/writing/arts in general etc.

Raizins
03-23-2009, 09:51 AM
BarakAllahu feek bro. Hmm. My mom was reminding me about computer science the other day. My aunt had studied it and.. I have no clue what it is. Im good w/ computer stuff, and I like it but what exectly do they do? More research for me tonight *sighs*

Eza
03-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Interesting that the same thing was given to us by on friday as well. Umm.. i don't understand why your taking this too serious though (it might be different to mine maybe that's why it's so hard?). Just write down what you want to be and stuff and then give it in lol? How difficult can it get..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.