PDA

View Full Version : Dubai now

alcurad
03-22-2009, 06:00 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ne-middle-east

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Amadeus85
03-22-2009, 09:40 PM
I believe that as soon as oil prizes rise, Dubai will again begin to flourish.

alcurad
03-22-2009, 10:00 PM
their economy is not well diversified, oil 'production' levels are not going to last as they for much longer than 2-3 decades at most, not to mention Dubai city is not an 'oil producer'.

The_Prince
03-23-2009, 02:35 AM
lol this article was funny, its obvious that this guy has some grudge, some of the things he says is just nonsense.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The_Prince
03-23-2009, 02:38 AM
dubai, just like many others is going to have some loss, but not a complete all out fall and destruction as many of these pundits hope and dream for, ive lost count of all the doom and gloom articles being written by westerners who have nothing to do with Dubai talking about how Dubai is on the verge of the end, its all jelousy and bitterness.

Chuck
03-23-2009, 03:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
I'm impressed, that author can write stuff without actually visiting the city. Ah the google journalism with a sprinkled bias.

I'll quote some of the comments on the article which sums it well:
It is just quite strange that the people criticizing Dubai are people who have never been there, or has only been there on a small holiday.

There are 140 nationalities living in Dubai side by side in peace with each other, and all religions are represented, can you name one more country in the world that can boast this?

-----------

These silly articles, from the crumbling financial capitols of London and New York, by writers who get their information third hand from "travel journalists" who never leave their resorts, really are quite funny. Rather like saying that someone else's tree is dying because a hastily hung birdhouse fell out of it, all the while sitting on one's own withered stump!
Dubai's plans are for more than just a year, or two or three, but far into the future, well beyond the Western-created financial crisis. And they are better positioned than almost any other city to see them through.
The best thing about Dubai is that there is a very vibrant long standing multi-culture here; those shiny buildings and resorts that most Westerners put stock in are just recent decorations, and not at all the core of the society. It's the Westerners, particularly the shallow 'journalists' that can't see beyond those.
Real life in Dubai is very pleasant and laid back, and full of wonderful, gracious people. Before saying anything about Dubai, one should come get to know it for real, and get to know it as a whole; not by the glitzy releases from real estate promoters.
----------

Simon Jenkins seems to be a disgruntled, old journalist who is jealous of the advances countries like UAE and India are making.

Obviously he cannot digest the fact that the sun set long time ago on the British Empire and now even modern day economies of America and Europe have gone bust.

I am an Indian living in Dubai for the last 18 years. There is very little truth in the article that Jenkins has published. Yes, there is a downturn here but nothing compared to what the western world is going through.

Dubai is a model city and will bounce back. It will rise to new heights dwarfing jaundice-eyed journalists like Jenkins who are still living in an archaic era of false pride and glory.

----------

This article and so many of the posts appear to have been written by people with little or no real knowledge of the region. This gem from the article illustrates the point.

"Rivals such as Dohar, Abu Dhabi and Bahrain - especially as they are now bailing out Dubai "

Bahrain is one of the GCC's poorest countries and is a net recipient of GCC subsidies.
There is no such place as Dohar. You have Qatar, whose capital is Doha.

and this...

"This off-the-shelf city state has been built on laundering the profits of oil, drugs, arms and western aid"

The author might like to itemise the western aid that has been provided to the UAE in recent years, trying to understand the difference between aid and trade and investment. For the record, the relationship is the other way. Brown was recently touring the region with his begging bowl for cash to bail out the catastrophic fiscal position he has visited upon the UK.

There's plenty not to like about Dubai (the architecture is one), but a proper analysis requires a bit more familiarity with the facts than is evident on this thread.

----------

This is simply not good enough. It is making a laughing stock out of The Guardian and plays directly into the hands of the people who argue that a free press on the British model is a bad thing.

Woeful, inaccurate, filled with loopy assertions and untruths . Badly researched and executed.

Last time you gave us a bus tour. This time we've got the view from an onverflying plane. What next? Some bloke writing about a picture postcard he was looking at whilst taking a dump in Camden?

Dubai takes British aid? As many publicists as it has towers? Is SImon Jenkins truly such a fool?

"...visitors to the Middle East see half-built, mostly abandoned concrete housing blocks and barracks littering the landscape of Syria and Jordan,"
What on EARTH is the man talking about? Has he ever BEEN to Syria or Jordan? When? 15 years ago?

"Every time the builder of the tallest tower in the world, the monster of Burj Dubai, sees the local ruler, Sheikh Mohammed Al-Maktoum, he is told to add more storeys for fear someone else may build an even taller one."
What? Who on earth told you that, fool? It's idle tittle-tattle, isn't it? Because anyone who lives here will tell you that the tower is finished. The last floor is done. The antenna's on it, already. And has been for months.

"This was truly a city designed from start to finish by autocrats and architects."
No it wasn't. Simply not true - except that, as in any city, architects tend to design buildings. But the vast majority of Dubai's buildings are not architectural marvels, they're slightly old fashioned poured concrete jobs.

"based on the grids and set squares of super-planners"
Nope again. One of the the city's great issues is the lack of super-planning.

I'd go on, but I'm bored. Virtually every statement in this mean-spirited little piece is questionable, unfounded, plain wrong or purely untrue.

Why do you continue allow this rubbish to lead your newspaper's coverage on the UAE?

Oh, Dubai is no utopia. But it deserves a better, fairer, hearing than this idiocy.

----------

Building stuff that's big and cool to look at - those *******s!
I live in Dubai, and for all it's faults, the quality of life is about a million times better than the UK:
it's sunny all the time
you can go to the beach whenever
you can wander into luxurious 5* hotels for cocktails
you know where you stand with the government
you can escape it all in minutes and camp under the stars in the desert
there is amazing food to be had
the souks are fantastic for pottering around
you can have a suit tailor made for the cost of an off the peg at Zara
it feels safe wherever you are
there are genuine attempts to bring art and culture from overseas here

the list goes on - move to Dubai, that's what I say. What new country hasn't tried to make a mark on the world eh? Dubai hasn't invaded anyone to get noticed has it?
Sometimes the UK needs to stop being such a hypocritical, revisionist, stuck up git

-----------------

Yet another ranting, hysterical article proclaiming the demise of Dubai, is there no end to this? Of course Dubai is suffering, like many other countries in the world, thats what a global downturn does. Many of the "gold-digging" ex-pats that you refer to do not actually want to leave when they lose their jobs - but their visas are tied to their jobs, so they dont have a choice. I agree with Jonat, I would much rather be here right now than back in the UK or Ireland - countries that are also suffering I believe from excess in the credit markets over the past few years. Its also perhaps worth remembering that England was built on the back of poor immigrant labour (mainly) from Ireland (pre-celtic tiger natch). I`m not saying that somehow makes it right, absolutely not, but lets not forget our own recent past before lecturing other countries.

--------------

Dubai, for all it's faults, has given many people a decent living in this part of the world - myself included. (and I mean just a regular life, not some hedonistic spend-fest).

We're not blind to the injustices here, just as we weren't blind to the injustices in our home countries, and the UK has many, let's not forget. Is it so distasteful to you, Simon, that a place in this part of the world found itself with an excess of wealth and tried to do something with it? Better that they kept their heads below the parapet, eh, and stopped bothering your high-minded sensibilities with their audacity.

Dubai remains a peaceful place that offers the prospect of a positive future for many people from all over the world. Surely, in this region in particular, it would be a shame to see that laid to waste?

----------------

--------------

i hope the editors of the Guardian are reading these responses. This article serves only to undermine the credibility of your newspaper. you really need to ensure some quality control before articles go to press.

i'd also add when reading the innacuracies in the article, one almost forgets the dire situation the UK is in currently, caught in the grips of recession, more so than most economies, a failing currency, dangerously high government dept and rising unemployment levels.

As for you Simon Jenkins, your journalistic 'contributions' are better suited to newspapers such as the Sun, the Mirror or the Sport...i'm just surprised the Guardian pays you for this rubbish...

The_Prince
03-23-2009, 04:11 AM
lets assume dubai crumbles and falls apart, so what? why does an englishmen all the way in england care? dubai is just a small city in the desert, why is he so gleeful and interested in this? one reason, jelous, bitterness etc etc, its quite obvious, poor man.

Whatsthepoint
03-23-2009, 03:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
lets assume dubai crumbles and falls apart, so what? why does an englishmen all the way in england care? dubai is just a small city in the desert, why is he so gleeful and interested in this? one reason, jelous, bitterness etc etc, its quite obvious, poor man.
Well, it's obvious some people weren't happy seeing a non western country can thrive as Dubai did, kinda like Muslims are frustrated with the fact that they lost total world superiority to what they have today.
It's human.

There are 140 nationalities living in Dubai side by side in peace with each other, and all religions are represented, can you name one more country in the world that can boast this?
London?

Dawud_uk
03-23-2009, 04:21 PM
dubai today, london and new york tomorrow.

the west is not immune to such problems, they are just as likely to be destroyed in the future.

lets face it, once the oil runs out we are all up a certain smelly creek without a paddle.

aadil77
03-23-2009, 04:28 PM
They should have stuck to proper islamic banking

Dawud_uk
03-23-2009, 05:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
They should have stuck to proper islamic banking
dubai is a tourist destination where practically anything goes as long as you dont do it in public.

i am quite frankly glad their corrupt system has collapsed, maybe now they will learn their lesson and build their society and economy on islamic principles instead.

aadil77
03-24-2009, 03:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk
dubai is a tourist destination where practically anything goes as long as you dont do it in public.

i am quite frankly glad their corrupt system has collapsed, maybe now they will learn their lesson and build their society and economy on islamic principles instead.
I'm kind of glad aswell, it disgusts me to hear they're allowing all sorts haram in the 'islamic' emirate just so kuffar can come and get pissed then fornicate on beaches. I can imagine Dubai being a much more successful country than it is now if they had stood by islamic principles regarding finance and society. But looks like the sheikhs are just after kuffar money and will do anything to make sure their haram economy gets it, their income will be haram from all the selling of alchohol and women.

Whatsthepoint
03-24-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm kind of glad aswell, it disgusts me to hear they're allowing all sorts haram in the 'islamic' emirate just so kuffar can come and get pissed then fornicate on beaches. I can imagine Dubai being a much more successful country than it is now if they had stood by islamic principles regarding finance and society. But looks like the sheikhs are just after kuffar money and will do anything to make sure their haram economy gets it, their income will be haram from all the selling of alchohol and women.
Can you name one islamic oil country that stood by Islamic principles and achieved a portion of what Dubai and the UAE have?

aadil77
03-24-2009, 04:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Can you name one islamic oil country that stood by Islamic principles and achieved a portion of what Dubai and the UAE have?
Can't think of one that sticks to islamic principles let alone one that has acheived what Dubai has. But I have no doubt that Dubai would not be in this financial crisis if it had stuck to sharia banking and principles.

Danah
03-24-2009, 04:04 PM
I did not read the whole article, but I think that Sheikh Mohammed Ibn Rashid the ruler of Dubai has always unique alternatives and ideas on his head.......so they will be alright, its just something that many cities on the world went through recently after the financial crisis

Whatsthepoint
03-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Can't think of one that sticks to islamic principles let alone one that has acheived what Dubai has. But I have no doubt that Dubai would not be in this financial crisis if it had stuck to sharia banking and principles.
Yeah, but if it hadn't, it would have probably remained a nameless underdevelopd oil exporter, so it wouldn't be particularly struck by the crisis because there'd be nothing to strike, except for the oil prices.

aadil77
03-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Yeah, but if it hadn't, it would have probably remained a nameless underdevelopd oil exporter, so it wouldn't be particularly struck by the crisis because there'd be nothing to strike, except for the oil prices.
They don't need to offer prohibited things to develope, Dubai itself is a beautiful place and you don't need things like booze to get foreigners to go there, this might actually attract more muslims

Whatsthepoint
03-24-2009, 07:31 PM
They don't need to offer prohibited things to develope, Dubai itself is a beautiful place and you don't need things like booze to get foreigners to go there, this might actually attract more muslims
There are several islamic tourist destinations out there already and none of them is particularly thriving. You see the problem is that most rich people enjoy booze, like to have fun, like to do embarassingly useless yet even more embarassingly expensive things.

aadil77
03-24-2009, 09:12 PM
There are several islamic tourist destinations out there already and none of them is particularly thriving. You see the problem is that most rich people enjoy booze, like to have fun, like to do embarassingly useless yet even more embarassingly expensive things.
Thats definately the case with us british whether rich or not. But thats not everyones kind of fun, there are plenty of places exclusive to dubai which attract people from everywhere and alcohol shouldn't get in the way of a good holiday

Chuck
03-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Dude is not like that. I live in Dubai. And another thing, Dubai is only 1 state, there are 6 other states in the UAE.

Qatar.

Btw, this is not end of Dubai, whole world is going through worst recession since great depression, Dubai is suffering because its economy is more dependent on other countries. Al though, UAE did had a property bubble which just burst, and lot of real estate investors here are suffering, but other economic sectors will continue to grow when world comes out of this recession.

Whatsthepoint
03-24-2009, 09:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
Qatar.
But most of Qatar economy is based on oil, which is not the case in Dubai.

Chuck
03-24-2009, 09:47 PM
But most of Qatar economy is based on oil, which is not the case in Dubai.
Qatar is diversifying, visit Qatar and you will know :)
Doha is coming as competition to Dubai, gaining as another financial hub in this region. Right now many people I know are relocating from here (Dubai) to Doha since job opportunities are better there at the moment. It is growing much faster, expected GDP growth for 2009 is 12%, while UAE's GDP growth for 2009 is expected to be only 2.5%

Dubai doesn't have much oil anyway so comparison is useless for the oil. If Dubai had oil then still it would have made at least 60% of the exports. But in terms of growth in non-oil sectors Doha has taken the lead in the region.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.