/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 'Society must help' tackle terror

Muezzin
03-24-2009, 09:48 AM
The UK cannot just rely on police and intelligence agencies to tackle terrorism, the home secretary has said.

Jacqui Smith said Whitehall needed "to enlist the widest possible range of support" as she unveiled a new UK terror strategy.

The plans include training 60,000 workers in how to stay vigilant for terrorist activity and what to do in the event of an attack.

The strategy also warns nuclear weapons could fall into terrorist hands.

It says the al-Qaeda leadership is likely to fragment, but the threat from those it inspires will remain.

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said: "Terrorists will try to stay one step ahead of us.

"But we've made sure that we've invested the resources, built the people - both in the police and in the agencies - and built the widest partnership necessary to give us the best chance of being able to deal with that threat."

'Broad-ranging'

Ms Smith said the "extremely broad-ranging" strategy would include ways of tackling radicalisation, supporting mainstream Muslim voices, preparing for the event of an attack and reaching out for support to the wider community.

She told the BBC: "We can't tackle terrorism simply from Whitehall. I don't think tackling terrorism is simply something we can rely on our police and intelligence agencies to do, brilliant though they are - we need to enlist the widest possible range of support."

The new counter-terrorism document talks about the need to "challenge those who reject the rights to which we are committed, scorn the institutions and values of our parliamentary democracy, dismiss the rule of law and promote intolerance".

There will be more focus on preventing the radicalisation of Muslims.

Last month, sources told the BBC's Panorama programme that conservative Muslims who teach that Islam is incompatible with Western democracy will be challenged as part of a new approach.

A senior Whitehall source said that Muslim leaders who urged separation would be isolated and publicly rejected, even if their comments fell within the law.

Stopping the process

Writing in the Observer newspaper on Sunday, Prime Minister Gordon Brown said the government's strategy was not just about training and equipping professionals, but also better informing the public so everyone would become more vigilant.

"The approach we are taking tackles the immediate threat through the relentless pursuit of terrorists and disruption of their plots, builds up our defences against attacks and our resilience to deal with them," he said.

He added that it also "addresses the longer term causes - understanding what leads people to become radicalised, so we can stop the process".

The strategy also puts a renewed emphasis on the extreme risks from chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear weapons if they get into the hands of terrorists.

On Sunday, the home secretary said shop and hotel workers would be among the 60,000 people trained to deal with an incident.

The updated approach, aimed at tackling immediate terrorist threats and the causes of extremism, would be the most comprehensive in the world, she added.

But the Tories have said not enough action is being taken against extremists.

Shadow home secretary Chris Grayling said: "The horrific recent events in Mumbai have highlighted the need for fresh thinking in counter-terrorism - and the whole community needs to be involved in tackling the danger.

"No part of the UK is free from threat - and we know that terrorists want soft targets. But we have argued strongly that the Government is not doing enough to tackle the problem of individuals and groups in the UK who are fostering the hatred and extremism that lies behind the terrorist threat. That really does have to change".

The counter-terrorism document, being published by the Home Office, will go into more detail than ever before, with Ms Smith saying counter-terrorism was "no longer something you can do behind closed doors and in secret".

It will reflect intelligence opinion that the biggest threat to the UK comes from al-Qaeda-linked groups and will also take into account recent attacks on hotels in the Indian city of Mumbai.

The paper - called Contest Two - will update the Contest strategy developed by the Home Office in 2003, which was later detailed in the Countering International Terrorism document released in 2006.

By 2011, Britain will be spending £3.5bn a year on counter-terrorism, the Home Office has said.

The number of police working on counter-terrorism has risen to 3,000 from 1,700 in 2003.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
03-24-2009, 10:03 AM
how about we focus on getting the economy back on track? instead of training people 'how to spot the muslim'?

Uthman
03-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Counter-terror training 'flawed'

Muezzin
03-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Flawless counter-terror training.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Uthman
03-24-2009, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
LOL. :D

On a more serious note:

Comment by Sunny Hundal: Is the government's anti-terror strategy talking to the right people?

Uthman
03-24-2009, 07:11 PM
'Debate overdue about values' - Hizb ut-Tahrir, one of the non-violent Islamic groups viewed as dangerous by the government, responds to Jacqui Smith's comments on plans for a new anti-terror strategy.

nocturnal
03-24-2009, 07:22 PM
This might sound cynical, but i think they're implementing this new purportedly broad ranging "strategy" to divert attention away from the economic malaise bedevelling the country. Everyone knows they've mishandled it, spent billions bailing out banks yet balk at the notion of spending more on social programmes.

Also, don't forget the apolitical, working class people to whose prejudices this new policy might plausibly be pandering. Many of them are innately bigoted and fostering that attitude with such "anti-terror" strategies, i think they might be hoping would turn out to be a vote winner for them. You could say this is BNP turf they're trespassing into.

Muezzin
03-24-2009, 07:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nocturnal
This might sound cynical, but i think they're implementing this new purportedly broad ranging "strategy" to divert attention away from the economic malaise bedevelling the country. Everyone knows they've mishandled it, spent billions bailing out banks yet balk at the notion of spending more on social programmes.
Likely.

I wonder what the public at large will make of this. Given the state of the economy, will they even care about terrorism at this moment in time?

Also, don't forget the apolitical, working class people to whose prejudices this new policy might plausibly be pandering. Many of them are innately bigoted and fostering that attitude with such "anti-terror" strategies, i think they might be hoping would turn out to be a vote winner for them. You could say this is BNP turf they're trespassing into.
I think it's unfair to paint all working class people with the same brush. It's the minority, the thuggish chavs, that would react in such a manner, not the majority of decent blue-collar folk.

Cabdullahi
03-24-2009, 11:04 PM
how about they give training to the public on how to spend less,waste less and how to recycle......surely if we dont do the above then that would be a bigger threat to society problems like financial crisis....food shortages the clearing up of resources.............we can't chase the bearded skullcap wearing bogey men when we are poor....so lets enrich ourselves and better our financial situation FIRST then we can catch and beat terrorists like hot cakes.....sounds a good idea to me! :)

Uthman
03-24-2009, 11:06 PM
The gravest threat to UK national security is actually....wait for it....the flu.

http://www.islamicboard.com/world-af...t-risk-uk.html

Eric H
03-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Muezzin;

I believe that the government should take the troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan, that would reduce the risk of terrorism by about 99%. I can think of no just cause for the British to be in Iraq, and I question the justification to be in Afghanistan.

In the spirit of praying for peace on Earth

Eric

Thinker
03-25-2009, 11:54 AM
From what I've seen reported recently I think a terrorist attack on the UK mainland killing innocently people is a certainty; the only question is when. And, I believe that there is only one group of people who have the ability to stop it and that's the Muslim community in the UK. The question is, would you report another Muslim whom you suspected was likely to kill; I presume that 99% of the Muslims on this foruim would answer "NO" to that question. In response to that I wopuld say, don't complain after it happens that it's nothing to do with you and their actions shouldn't mean that other Muslims are viewed negatively.

Thinker
03-25-2009, 12:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you Muezzin;

I believe that the government should take the troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan, that would reduce the risk of terrorism by about 99%. I can think of no just cause for the British to be in Iraq, and I question the justification to be in Afghanistan.

In the spirit of praying for peace on Earth

Eric

I agree with you on Iraq, I remember thinking at the time that it was complete lunacy but Afghanistan was harbouring Bin Laden and training terrorists to fly to the west and blow us up. Of course we could just float a few cruise missiles over every now and then or we could do nothing!! Was the twin tower attack before US troops entered Iraq and Afghanistan or after?

YusufNoor
03-25-2009, 12:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
From what I've seen reported recently I think a terrorist attack on the UK mainland killing innocently people is a certainty; the only question is when. And, I believe that there is only one group of people who have the ability to stop it and that's the Muslim community in the UK. The question is, would you report another Muslim whom you suspected was likely to kill; I presume that 99% of the Muslims on this foruim would answer "NO" to that question. In response to that I wopuld say, don't complain after it happens that it's nothing to do with you and their actions shouldn't mean that other Muslims are viewed negatively.
actually, a better question is...who?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...95263359807776

if you want to stop "terrorism," then you must stop:

1) Mossad/Saudi counterparts & moneyhandlers [read: PTech]
2) CIA/NSA/NSC & ISI stepchild
3) MI5/MI6

and if you want to stop the "flu" pandemic, you must stop Eli Lilly [read: the Bushes/Quayles]

you may now return to your regular programming

:w:

Muezzin
03-25-2009, 01:20 PM

Thinker
03-25-2009, 02:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
actually, a better question is...who?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...95263359807776

Hmmm . . . the video is 56 minutes long - what's the bottom line?

The 'who' is pretty obvious - it'll be a second generation Pakistani Muslim male aged between 20 and 35 years. He probably did some schooling at a madrassa in Pakistan. Some of you know him, at a point in time, some time back you realsied you hadn't seen him for a while, when he returned you asked him where he'd been and he spun you some half plausible story.

Muezzin
03-25-2009, 03:02 PM

The 'who' is pretty obvious - it'll be a second generation Pakistani Muslim male aged between 20 and 35 years. He probably did some schooling at a madrassa in Pakistan. Some of you know him, at a point in time, some time back you realsied you hadn't seen him for a while, when he returned you asked him where he'd been and he spun you some half plausible story.
We'll all be sure to scour our Facebook contacts.

Back in the real world, if (Allah forbid) any of my friends get it into their heads that blowing themselves and innocent people up or any other act of terrorism is a good idea, you can bet your buttocks that I'll tell the cops if attempts to talk them down fail.

Thinker
03-25-2009, 03:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
We'll all be sure to scour our Facebook contacts.

Back in the real world, if (Allah forbid) any of my friends get it into their heads that blowing themselves and innocent people up or any other act of terrorism is a good idea, you can bet your buttocks that I'll tell the cops if attempts to talk them down fail.
Well done, and well done for stating it as I am sure there'll be one or two here ready to jump all over you for saying that.:thumbs_up

Muezzin
03-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Well done, and well done for stating it as I am sure there'll be one or two here ready to jump all over you for saying that.:thumbs_up
Let them.

If it comes to it, preventing the loss of innocent life is better than being accused of being a rat.

Fortunately for everyone, I don't think it would come to that in my circle of friends.

Uthman
03-25-2009, 03:16 PM
A lot people actually think that the government is playing up the terrorism threat to allow them to erode more and more of our civil liberties.

YusufNoor
03-25-2009, 03:20 PM

WATCH THE VIDEO! [heck, i was SHOCKED when i saw it. still am]

then respond. you want to blame murder on some strangers [MUSLIM Strangers] can't you can't be arsed to spend a few moments reviewing the situation?

is that fair?

Muezzin
03-25-2009, 03:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
A lot people actually think that the government is playing up the terrorism threat to allow them to erode more and more of our civil liberties.
They have a point, but ultimately, I don't think the Government has a competent enough 'end-game'. If we assume that the Government is indeed intentionally eroding civil liberties, to what end are they doing it? In the long run, what would they have to gain? It wouldn't help the economy, it would not go unnoticed politcally, it wouldn't make its proponents rich necessarily, and the UK wouldn't stand to gain much power on the world stage.

I'm not saying just obey everything unquestioningly. We should just make sure we ask the right questions.

Eric H
03-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Thinker;
but Afghanistan was harbouring Bin Laden and training terrorists to fly to the west and blow us up. Of course we could just float a few cruise missiles over every now and then or we could do nothing!! Was the twin tower attack before US troops entered Iraq and Afghanistan or after?
There are a whole lot of issues here.

Every time some country has an issue with America, should the rest of the world support America because the USA are always a just and moral country, and their foreign polices are just?

I am trying to remember did America help when Hitler invaded France and Poland?

Does Bin Laden represent the elected government of Afghanistan?

Thousands of innocent Afghans who had nothing to do with 9 / 11 have died, their property and livelihood has been destroyed, how have America and Britain been just to these people?

If Bin Laden had been hiding in Texas, would the USA have bombed strategic targets in Texas and sent in the army causing death and destructing, regardless of whether they find him or not?

The victim’s families of 9 / 11 are in line for hundreds of thousands in compensation, how much compensation does a widow of an Afghan farmer get whose husband was killed by Americans or British troops?

I ask these kind of questions because I am searching for justice for the poor and oppressed, and I cannot find answers that seem fair.

In the spirit of praying for the poor and oppressed

Eric

Uthman
03-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Comment by Justin Gest:

A bad trade-off

Sacrificing the sense Muslims have of themselves as Britons for supposedly greater security will not help prevent extremism.

The government's new Contest 2 strategy for preventing violent extremism will do a little to further secure citizens from a terrorist attack, and a lot to alienate the community of British Muslims.

Lacking a consensus about strategies for preventing violent extremism, the government is in the midst of a deadlocked, internal tug-of-war. One the one hand, there is the priority of securing citizens from future terrorist attacks. On the other hand, there is the priority to fulfil this objective without alienating millions of Muslims in the process.

The decided policy – as published yesterday (pdf) – does neither.

The new Contest strategy is sober, informed, and it admirably attempts to foster a sense of collective responsibility. However, it defines the collective according to crude criteria of "shared values" that rhetorically single out and symbolically indict a large subgroup within Britain – its two million Muslims. This is a mistake for three reasons.

First, one of the precursors to violent and ideological extremism among the Muslim community is a sense of marginalisation from British society and government.

My research examining young Muslims has demonstrated that those who find their Muslim identity irreconcilable with wider British society, those who do not perceive the capacity of British democracy to change, and those who do not believe British government is ultimately interested in their wellbeing are more likely to join an extremist group or withdraw from the public sphere.

A policy that effectively distinguishes Muslims from the British "collective" reinforces the sense that the government is uninterested in the welfare of Muslims – who appear entrenched as shadowy social pariahs. In my fieldwork, young Muslims tend to feel extraordinarily British and wish to be acknowledged as such. Mostly born here, they love football, hip-hop, and chicken and chips. They tend to come from close families, participate in community activities, and aspire to be more prosperous and educated than the previous generation. Like most Britons, this is generally a community of progress.

However, rhetoric of "shared values" is being used to challenge non-Muslim Britons to identify differences, rather than challenge people to find the wider commonality that we all need Muslims to see too.

Second, in the interest of preventing violent extremism, Muslims are actually the primary group that needs to feel a sense of collective responsibility.

Thanks to sensationalised popular discourse about Muslim extremism, Muslim perceptions about the ubiquity of religious discrimination, and fervent disapproval of British foreign policy, the British government is left with little, if any, credibility among its Muslim citizens.

While this new strategy will train 60,000 shopkeepers, it will likely inspire very few Muslims to engage the communities with which they are the most closely acquainted and challenge suspicious activity. Already, the government has encountered resistance from some Muslim youth workers and activists reluctant to cooperate in what they perceive to be a witch-hunt.

This will only make the government's job more difficult.

Third, the very basis of the Contest strategy exploits weaknesses in the British democracy – the very system that actually possesses the capacity to be inclusive by promoting self-expression and effective dissent using non-violent means.

It is only natural that the Home Office considers the worst-case scenario and overreacts to a low-probability threat. (The threat level has been listed at "severe" for months now.)

The problem emerges when in responding to the limited threat of terrorism, the government drafts policies that affect a selected community of people and place correspondingly selective restrictions on their personal liberty. Such steps cannot be justified by reality, and exploit a flaw in democratic governance.

Selective profiling, scrutiny and policy means that most of the citizenry will not be affected, so the usual checks on political injustice and overstretching of power are not catalysed.

In the extreme, this happened when the United States interned its Japanese-American population in concentration camps out of fear that they might collude with their imperial adversaries during the second world war. This remains a dark chapter in US history.

Not so subtly, with the coincidental publication of a frightening report about the likelihood of chemical, biological, and nuclear weapon terrorist attacks, the British government is utilising public fear of a stigmatised minority group to gain support for measures of which – if applied universally – the average person would strongly disapprove.

Democracies require their citizens to believe that majoritarianism sufficiently rationalises the disadvantage of the minority. The reasoning behind this relies on the minority's faith that they can one day become supported by the majority.

For many Muslims today, the prospect of a non-Muslim British majority one day standing up for their rights and interests is far-fetched. They need to be persuaded that the system works and that this can happen and has happened before.

I don't blame the government for searching for a political victory here. Before they call an election, Labour is in a fight for British minds, and progress in the struggle against terrorism makes for political success.

But progress against terrorism will only come if the government wins the fight for British Muslim minds too. I genuinely do not believe that it is too late. But this new policy suggests that our political leaders do.

Source

Justin Gest is co-director of the Migration Studies Unit and Ralph Miliband Scholar in Political Sociology at the London School of Economics and Political Science. His research examines socio-political alienation among Muslim minorities in western democracies.

Amadeus85
03-25-2009, 08:09 PM
In my opinion eradicating terrorism from the brittish muslim community lays mostly in the interest of the brittish muslims, because if anything bad like London bombing happens again, it will be davastating for the image of the whole "asian" (muslim) society in UK and a awaited suprise for the xenophobes.

aadil77
03-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Not really, If ratting out prevent loss of lives, potential hellfire for the doer and more hatred against muslims, then I'm sure everyone here would do the same. You seem to have this view that there are members here who would support this kind of extremism, maybe on Ummah forums but not here

Uthman
03-25-2009, 10:33 PM
I also echo what Muezzin and aadil said. So are we part of that 1%? I highly doubt it!

Uthman
03-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Seumas Milne: This counter-terror plan is in ruins. Try one that works.

Uthman
03-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Comment by Gary Younge:

Where will we find the perfect Muslim for monocultural Britain?

Patriotic, pious, peaceful and patient. Labour's anti-terror strategy depends on mythical figures as elusive as WMD.

Somewhere out there is the Muslim that the British government seeks. Like all religious people he (the government is more likely to talk about Muslim women than to them) supports gay rights, racial equality, women's rights, tolerance and parliamentary democracy. He abhors the murder of innocent civilians without qualification - unless they are in Palestine, Afghanistan or Iraq. He wants to be treated as a regular British citizen - but not by the police, immigration or airport security. He wants the best for his children and if that means unemployment, racism and bad schools, then so be it.

He raises his daughters to be assertive: they can wear whatever they want so long as it's not a headscarf. He believes in free speech and the right to cause offence but understands that he has neither the right to be offended nor to speak out. Whatever an extremist is, on any given day, he is not it.

He regards himself as British - first, foremost and for ever. But whenever a bomb goes off he will happily answer for Islam. Even as he defends Britain's right to bomb and invade he will explain that Islam is a peaceful religion. Always prepared to condemn other Muslims and supportive of the government, he has credibility in his community not because he represents its interests to the government, but because he represents the government's interests to Muslims. He uses that credibility to preach restraint and good behaviour. Whatever a moderate is, on any given day, he is it.

On his slender shoulders lies Britain's domestic anti-terror campaign. And as soon as the government finds him things are going to start turning around. Until then we are resigned to the fact that we will be about as successful at fighting terrorism at home as we are abroad and for the same reason. Unburdened by any desire to forge consensus or engage in negotiation, the government seeks to craft new realities out of whole cloth and then wonders why no one wants to wear them. And so it is that the mythical Muslim will prove as elusive as weapons of mass destruction or the beacons of democracy that Iraq and Afghanistan were supposed to become.

Last week's launch of the government's new counter-terror strategy, Contest 2, was preceded by Hazel Blears' threat to deny funding to the Muslim Council of Britain because of comments its deputy secretary, Daud Abdullah, made about supporting Palestinians. It shows how these domestic tensions are intertwined with foreign policy.

If this changes anytime soon it won't be because of anyone we've elected at home. Britain has no independent foreign policy. Apparently when America wants to start wars, so do we; and when America wants to end them, we do too. We vacillate, at the pleasure of the White House, with great moral conviction. So long as its foreign policy is uncritically tied to Israel's then we should expect discontent from the Muslim community. That is not a reason to change our foreign policy - we should do that because it's wrong - but it is a reason to stop pathologising Islam as though the source of Muslim discontent is completely unfathomable.

"There is a grievance," explains Salma Yaqoob, a Respect councillor in Birmingham. "There's no reason to deny that. All you need to know that there is a grievance is a TV. These young men who want a short cut to heaven see innocent people being killed and then retaliate by going out and killing innocent people. There's a chilling logic to it. It's wrong. But it is logical."

But while the problem may start with foreign policy it does not end there. Lest we forget, there were riots involving Muslims in Britain's northern towns during the summer of 2001. Back then the issues were poverty (of Muslims and non-Muslims), organised racism and segregated housing.

Those problems have not gone away. Two-thirds of Bangladeshis in Britain and over half of Pakistanis live in poverty. The unemployment rate for Pakistanis is four times higher than for whites; for Bangladeshis it is more than five times. Among the youth it is worse - and in the areas where Muslims are concentrated, white people aren't doing that well either.

People generally don't make a living out of being Muslim and those who do should not be on the government payroll. The most obvious response to news that Blears was threatening to cut funding to the MCB was to say: "We shouldn't be funding the MCB anyway." Governments should not be in the God business. The fact that it funds the Church of England creates inequality. But the proper response is to stop giving the C of E money, not fund other religions.

Instead the government continues to approach Muslims as though their religion defines them. It rarely speaks to them as tenants, parents, students or workers; it does not dwell on problems that they share with everyone else; it does not convene high profile task forces to look at how to improve their daily lives. It summons them as Muslims, talks to them as Muslims and refers to them as Muslims - as though they could not possibly be understood as anything else.

"The confusion between the plural identities of Muslims and their Islamic identity is not only a descriptive mistake, it has serious implications for policies for peace in the precarious world in which we live," writes Amartya Sen in Identity and Violence. "The effect of this religion-centred political approach, and of the institutional policies it has generated ... has been to bolster and strengthen the voice of religious authorities while downgrading the importance of non-religious institutions and movements."

And when it does talk to them as Muslims, it demands they join a society that doesn't exist, on terms that would not be set for any other religious group. The Home Office pledge to challenge those who "reject parliamentary democracy, dismiss the rule of law and promote intolerance and discrimination on the basis of race, faith, ethnicity, gender or sexuality," is laudable. But, in a period that has seen the Catholic church stained with endemic child sex abuse and the Church of England rent asunder over homosexuality, the idea that Muslims should be singled out is laughable. Given the rise of the British National party in areas where Labour once dominated, you would think the ministers might launch such a challenge closer to home. And if these are "shared British values" then opposition to war and torture are no less so.

The trouble with those who rail against multiculturalism is that they invariably struggle to articulate the kind of monoculture they would like to replace it with, let alone how they would enforce it. And when they do, things rapidly start to fall apart.

I have yet to see a culture where truly shared values were proclaimed by fiat from above rather than forged by struggle and through consensus from below, let alone one where the primary responsibilty for tolerance rests with the most impoverished minority group that faces the most intolerance. But I dare say that it is in that place that we will find the mythological Muslim - patriotic, pious, peaceful and patient - waiting for reality to come to him and tell him it is ready.

g.younge@guardian.co.uk

Source

Gary Younge is a Guardian columnist and feature writer based in the US.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.