/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Death link to too much red meat

Uthman
03-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Scientists have produced new evidence suggesting eating lots of red and processed meat damages health.

They found big meat eaters had a raised risk of death from all causes over a 10-year period.

In contrast, a higher intake of white meat was associated with a slightly reduced risk of death over the same period.

The US study, featured in Archives of Internal Medicine, was based on more than 500,000 people.

The need is for a major reduction in total meat intake

Dr Barry Popkin
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

The researchers, from The US National Cancer Institute, found those whose diet contained the highest proportion of red or processed meat had a higher overall risk of death, and specifically a higher risk of cancer and heart disease than those who ate the least. People eating the most meat were eating about 160g of red or processed meat per day - approximately a 6oz steak.

Those who ate the least were only getting about 25g per day - approximately a small rasher of bacon.

Conversely, those who ate the highest proportion of white meat had a lower risk of overall death, and a lower risk of fatal cancer or heart disease than those who ate the lowest proportion.

The researchers calculated that 11% of deaths in men and 16% of deaths in women during the study period could have been prevented if people had decreased their red meat consumption to the level of those in the lowest intake group.

Cancer compounds

The researchers said cancer-causing compounds were formed during high-temperature cooking of meat.

No one's saying that people should avoid bacon or burgers completely, but evidence tells us that cutting down on these foods can reduce the risk of dying from cancer and other diseases

Ed Yong
Cancer Research UK

Meat is a major source of saturated fat, which has been associated with breast and colorectal cancer. In addition, lower meat intake has been linked to a reduction in risk factors for heart disease, including lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.

The latest study adds to a growing body of research linking high red and processed meat consumption to an increased risk of ill health.

Recent UK research found one in ten people has tried to cut down on processed meats, such as bacon, in the wake of previous reports linking them to cancer.

Writing in the same journal, Dr Barry Popkin of the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, stressed there were health benefits to eating some red meat.

But he added: "The need is for a major reduction in total meat intake, an even larger reduction in processed meat and other highly processed and salted animal source food products and a reduction in total saturated fat."

Dr Mark Wahlqvist, a nutrition expert from Australia's Monash University, said eating small amounts of red meat - around 30g a day - provided a good source of key nutrients.

He said: "Fresh, lean red meat of these amounts is likely to be of more benefit than harm."

Ed Yong, of the charity Cancer Research UK, said two large studies had now linked eating lots of red or processed meat to some cancers.

"No one's saying that people should avoid bacon or burgers completely, but evidence from large studies like this tells us that cutting down on these foods can reduce the risk of dying from cancer and other diseases."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Whatsthepoint
03-25-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm not willing to give up meat just yet.

Cabdullahi
03-25-2009, 06:42 PM
i need my meat otherwise my pectorals will disappear

Whatsthepoint
03-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Though I mostly eat poultry, pork and fish so I guess I should be safe for now.
Americans can have red meat.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
03-25-2009, 07:08 PM
^''let the americans eat red meat'' lol.....says the swine eating german but having pork chops will give you more germs so...im afraid the joke is on you my mate.....chicken and fish for me :) its all HALAL baby!:)

Whatsthepoint
03-25-2009, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
^''let the americans eat red meat'' lol.....says the swine eating german but having pork chops will give you more germs so...im afraid the joke is on you my mate.....chicken and fish for me :) its all HALAL baby!:)
Baby, fish have heavy metals stored in them, fish can kill you!
Our pork is halthy, home produced, the piglets are treated nicely and all the meat is checked by the veterinary inspection, which I can't say for fish or read meat.

Muezzin
03-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Death link to too much red meat
Oh well...

Chuck
03-25-2009, 10:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Baby, fish have heavy metals stored in them, fish can kill you!
Our pork is halthy, home produced, the piglets are treated nicely and all the meat is checked by the veterinary inspection, which I can't say for fish or read meat.
Pork is red meat:
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your question. Here's what I know about pork and it's classification:

Pork is considered a red meat. In the mid 80's, when health-conscience consumers
decided that red meat was unhealthy, the pork industry lost sales dramatically.
In an effort to regain lost ground, the Pork Council started a catchy and
attractive campaign ("The other white meat") in 1987. The campaign worked--
the demand for pork quickly rose. In fact, today's pork prices rise at a rate
faster than the cost of living inflation. During the shift of perception,
though, people began to refer to it as a white meat rather than a red meat
(9 out of 10 people recognize the slogan).

You may find this link of interest when it comes to the changing face of pork:
http://www.nppc.org/resources/nutrition.html. Basically, pork has become
a competitive, nutritive rival to lean poultry.

That's basically it on the red vs. white meat debate on pork. I'm happy to
answer more questions. Enjoy!

Tiffany

http://www.perturb.org/content/pork-red-meat.html

Cabdullahi
03-25-2009, 10:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Chuck
Pork is red meat:
ON your FACE!!!.... garfield pork chops are redder than red

Whatsthepoint
03-25-2009, 11:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
ON your FACE!!!.... garfield pork chops are redder than red
:p:D

aadil77
04-02-2009, 04:53 PM
whatt? I thought red meat was lamb and beef etc

Zahida
04-02-2009, 04:56 PM
:sl:Too much red meat also leads to obesity, heart disease and gout!!!!:w:

Whatsthepoint
04-03-2009, 12:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
whatt? I thought red meat was lamb and beef etc
Pork is somewhere in between red and white, kidna pink.

kwolney01
04-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Wow...this makes since. I've heard a lot of bad things about red meat. I think it's fine as long as you don't go overboard with it. I'm really picky and usually only eat chicken or turkey.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.