/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim Women Power List

Uthman
03-26-2009, 08:00 AM
Muslim Women Power List

Britain's most powerful Muslim women have been named for the first time. The Muslim Women Power List - unveiled at a ceremony in Manchester last night - was chosen by a panel of judges led by Trevor Phillips, chairman of the Equality and Human Rights Commission. The judges wsere asked to select women who had demonstrated significant results through strong leadership, successful performance in their chosen career, and had inspired their colleagues and peers.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
girljedi
03-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Baroness? waww! I'm happy for him. :) That's great :)

crayon
03-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Hmmm...Interesting..

Muezzin
03-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Shazia Mirza's on it?

I've seen one of her stand-up comic routines.

Yasmin Alibhai-Brown's articles are always fun and insightful

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Whatsthepoint
03-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Only 1/4 wears the hijab.

Cabdullahi
03-26-2009, 01:35 PM
if i was shown these pictures without someone telling me that they are actually muslim i would've thought otherwise.......to become powerful in the eyes of the westerner you have to take of the hijab.....they are muslims but only a quarter are wearing the hijab,its abit disappointing ..inshallah allah guides them and makes them acknowledge that the pleasure of having high status is nothing because life is abrupt and the duration of this false pleasure is just a millisecond compared to the hereafter

Cabdullahi
03-26-2009, 01:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Only 1/4 wears the hijab.
so is the hijab some sort of barrier that is preventing the muslimah from being successful in the sexual west

Whatsthepoint
03-26-2009, 02:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
so is the hijab some sort of barrier that is preventing the muslimah from being successful in the sexual west
No.

Cabdullahi
03-26-2009, 02:45 PM
No.
thank you sir! but some of the elite will disagree

Whatsthepoint
03-26-2009, 02:50 PM
thank you sir! but some of the elite will disagree
The elite?

Uthman
03-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Warsi most powerful Muslim woman

Conservative peer Baroness Warsi of Dewsbury has been named Britain's most powerful Muslim woman.

The Power List was chosen by a panel led by Trevor Phillips, chairman of the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

The award was set up to celebrate high performers in business, the arts, media, voluntary and public sectors.

BBC News presenter Mishal Husain and Farmida Bi, a banking partner for law firm Norton Rose, were also in the top five of the Power List.

Lady Warsi said: "I personally come from a family of all girls, and was brought up to believe that anything was possible, and being a Muslim woman should in no way be seen as a barrier but as an asset to achievement.

"I'm extremely proud to be named as the most powerful British Muslim woman and I'm sure my Pakistani origins, my strong faith and my Yorkshire upbringing have played a huge part."

'Northern mum'

Sayeeda Warsi became the first Muslim woman to sit on the front bench of a British political party in July 2007 at the age of 36.

Straight-talking and combative - she describes herself as a "northern, working-class-roots mum".

She gave up her job as a solicitor in 2004 to stand for Parliament in her home town of Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, losing out to Labour's Shahid Malik.

She was also a special adviser on community relations to then Tory leader Michael Howard before receiving a peerage and becoming the party's vice-chairman.

Ms Warsi - who is married with a daughter - says her admiration for Conservative principles was inspired by her father, who went from working in a mill to running a £2m-a-year bed-manufacturing firm.

Source

Uthman
03-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Baroness Warsi described the Muslim protestors in Luton as a 'bunch of nutters'.

You can watch it here.

alcurad
03-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I dislike that woman, she is a sellout,,

Sahabiyaat
03-26-2009, 08:52 PM
cool
very inspiring indeed :)

and i agree that most of these women, im sure feel the hijaab is a barrier,whereas it should not be at all!

Cabdullahi
03-26-2009, 09:23 PM
i want to see real strong muslimah's who have their hijabs and jilbabs tied firmly,what i dont want to see is sell outs who are nothing but conformists

if these women were in a competition 'who can best imitate the western women in terms of looks' they would win by a mile....they traded their islamic dress code prescribed by allah for the modern sexy look

i think there are a few who have the islamic dress code that i saw in the weblink fair play to them

Uthman
03-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Shelina Zahra Janmohamed blogs at Spirit 21. She is an Oxford graduate and she does wear the Hijaab also, Mashaa'Allah.

Cabdullahi
03-26-2009, 09:41 PM
its unlucky amani zain wasn't added to the list....what a shocking program she made...'women in black'......she constantly showed muslim women dating,drinking,belly dancing and lap dancing...the whole lot! as if to say to the predominantly western viewers that 'look we are not shapless black blobs we like to have fun too' ridiculez!

Amadeus85
03-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Recently I noticed that the western elites incorporate only those muslims who think like them. That's a very smart idea I must say.

Cabdullahi
03-26-2009, 10:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amadeus85
Recently I noticed that the western elites incorporate only those muslims who think like them. That's a very smart idea I must say.
the elite are creating heroes for the muslim women,these apprentices are hand picked to inspire and influence,and im glad that a christian brother has noticed this although it very obvious

Amadeus85
03-26-2009, 10:22 PM
the elite are creating heroes for the muslim women,these apprentices are hand picked to inspire and influence,and im glad that a christian brother has noticed this although it very obvious
Its a new trend thats why I wasnt that late :D. Anyway its a smart move, really not bad.

Ansariyah
03-26-2009, 10:41 PM
They got it all wrong..

Cause Allah has already established the best Muslim Women!

Narrated Abu Musa Al-Ash'ari (R.A.A): Allah's Messanger (S.A.W) said, "Many amongst men attained perfection but amongst women none attained the perfection except Maryam (Mary), the daughter of 'Imran, and Asiya, the wife of Fir'aun (Pharaoh). And the superiority of Aishah to other women is like the superiority of Tharid (i.e., and Arabic dish) to other meals." Sahih Al-Bukhari- Volume 5 (Book 62)

Oh and Fatimaah (ra) will lead the women in Jannah..

can any woman do that? I don't think so...:sunny:

alcurad
03-26-2009, 10:55 PM
it's meant to encourage women to be like that sister Yanoorah:)

and lol amadeus85-what happened to the old name:)-they've been doing it since colonial times, it's very effective in controlling resistive populations.

Uthman
03-27-2009, 12:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Shelina Zahra Janmohamed blogs at Spirit 21. She is an Oxford graduate and she does wear the Hijaab also, Mashaa'Allah.
Shelina has has written a new article in her blog called Created from a single soul. I highly recommend it. :)

Whatsthepoint
03-27-2009, 01:23 PM
i want to see real strong muslimah's who have their hijabs and jilbabs tied firmly,what i dont want to see is sell outs who are nothing but conformists

if these women were in a competition 'who can best imitate the western women in terms of looks' they would win by a mile....they traded their islamic dress code prescribed by allah for the modern sexy look

i think there are a few who have the islamic dress code that i saw in the weblink fair play to them
Very few women in the list could be described as sexy.

Azy
03-27-2009, 06:25 PM
I would have to agree. What Abdullahii seems to see as dressing sexy, most here would see as simply dressing appropriately for the job.
Legal services ombudsman wearing a smart suit, sport foundation lady in sports gear, minister dressed in boring brown outfit.

Cabdullahi
03-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Very few women in the list could be described as sexy.
what you think is sexy could be different from what others think,you might think they are unattractive and bland but even so, you can make out when a person is aiming for that modern look you dont have to be a wardrobe expert,i think in one of the pics there's a lady who has her milk bladders exposed abit....but god knows best and he guides whom he wills

Cabdullahi
03-27-2009, 06:36 PM
yvonne ridley i think mashallah has clearly showed that you can follow the islamic dress code and be a prominent figure in the society

Whatsthepoint
03-27-2009, 07:15 PM
yvonne ridley i think mashallah has clearly showed that you can follow the islamic dress code and be a prominent figure in the society
She's not really promiment, contraversial perhaps.
She's also a journalist for an Iranian television.

Cabdullahi
03-27-2009, 07:30 PM
She's not really promiment, contraversial perhaps.
She's also a journalist for an Iranian television.
wooow she works for the iranians :eek: ......as a caucasian british she probably is a sell out to you but what's wrong with working for an iranian media outlet,surely its better than where she worked b4 the likes of sunday times,bbc and so on.even working in the underground sewers is better than working for those government propaganda machines...

Whatsthepoint
03-27-2009, 07:53 PM
wooow she works for the iranians :eek: ......as a caucasian british she probably is a sell out to you but what's wrong with working for an iranian media outlet,surely its better than where she worked b4 the likes of sunday times,bbc and so on.even working in the underground sewers is better than working for those government propaganda machines...
No, I don't reallycare for whom she works but I wonder how a post in Press TV makes here influental in Britain.

Uthman
03-27-2009, 08:00 PM
No, I don't reallycare for whom she works but I wonder how a post in Press TV makes here influental in Britain.
I think Press TV has it's supporters and it's haters. Just like the Daily Mail, I suppose.

Bint-Al-Islam
04-04-2009, 05:03 AM
How nice to see hear that.. May Allah make the Ummah strong too.. Ameen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.