/* */

PDA

View Full Version : When going to a Mosque?

wth1257
03-27-2009, 08:23 AM
So hello.

I have several good Muslim friends but I really have kept them in the dark about my interest in Islam. I mean they know I know things about it/read the Qur'an but as a matter of becoming a Muslim they are totally in the dark I believe. So I cannot ask them these and will therefore ask you all. If I were to go to a Mosque what are the rules? I believe I'm allowed in even though I'm a non Muslim but what should I do. I'm not interested in making the Shahadah or praying with the Muslims yet but I would like a bit of personal direction and would like to gain some knowledge outside the abstract world of texts and books. So what should I do? I mean I assume just barging in and saying "what's up Governor!" to the imam would be a tad bit out of line. I mean is it appropiate to just show up or should I make an appointment?

So what should one do? Enquiring minds want to know! :p

Also, if any converts have any advise it might be appreciated:statisfie

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
03-27-2009, 08:31 AM
this isn't from an Islamic perceptive or anything, but i suggest you just sit back and be a bystander for now, just to see what goes on in a mosque...just sit in a corner or something and see how everyone interacts with one another...after this maybe introduce yourself to the brothers/imam with a handshake and smile and tell them the reason why your there, and if they could direct you to some Islamic books or whatever (i mean if thats what you wanted that, for eg ). because if you don't introduce yourself that way they may (i emphasize may)feel abit odd (dont worry, Muslims are cool) that they see someone in a mosque who doesn't pray or something...

aamirsaab
03-27-2009, 09:44 AM
:sl:
First thing is first: take off your shoes!

Then approach the imaam and just explain to him your situation. They're usually very understanding about these matters (in my experience anyway).

Hamayun
03-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Hey Bro :)

Just go to a Mosque, take off your shoes, walk up to the Imam with a smile and say "Hi, I am just curious about Islam and wondered if you could help". I am sure he will be happy to speak to you.

Best of luck :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
wth1257
03-28-2009, 04:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamayun

Just go to a Mosque, take off your shoes, walk up to the Imam with a smile and say "Hi, I am just curious about Islam and wondered if you could help". I am sure he will be happy to speak to you.

Best of luck :)
yeah. I think my schools MSA does Sunday school. Perhapse I'll try to tag along for that sometime.

I come from a good German Catholic/New England WASP family and one thing we do not talk about is religion. At least I never have been able to. I mean I can't imagain if I went to see the Mosque and ran into a friend. It would literally be traumatic.

I'm not sure what to do. I've gotten to the point where I feel like a horrid hypocrit.

Intisar
03-28-2009, 05:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257
yeah. I think my schools MSA does Sunday school. Perhapse I'll try to tag along for that sometime.

I come from a good German Catholic/New England WASP family and one thing we do not talk about is religion. At least I never have been able to. I mean I can't imagain if I went to see the Mosque and ran into a friend. It would literally be traumatic.

I'm not sure what to do. I've gotten to the point where I feel like a horrid hypocrit.
:sl: Tell me about it! I live in Boston, which is like Irish-Catholic central. But alhamdulilah they're very open.

I don't think you should feel like a hypocrite just cause you've shown an interest in Islam. I mean, it's your right to discover what you want and be who you want right? It's not supposed to be an overnight change anyhow. So keep on trying to learn about it, and talk about it more around your family/friends so that they're not all ''GASPSHOCKHORROR'' if you do decide to become Muslim (inshaAllaah).

Do what you feel is best for you, you're learning about Islam for yourself, always remember that. :)

wth1257
03-28-2009, 05:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameena*
:sl: Tell me about it! I live in Boston, which is like Irish-Catholic central. But alhamdulilah they're very open.

I don't think you should feel like a hypocrite just cause you've shown an interest in Islam. I mean, it's your right to discover what you want and be who you want right? It's not supposed to be an overnight change anyhow. So keep on trying to learn about it, and talk about it more around your family/friends so that they're not all ''GASPSHOCKHORROR'' if you do decide to become Muslim (inshaAllaah).

Do what you feel is best for you, you're learning about Islam for yourself, always remember that. :)
No I'm sorry, let me explain.

When a Muslim friend of mine, the one who actually sparked my interest in Islam btw, says "I mean I know your not a Muslim, but I'm just explaining to you how we see things" (I was asking her a qestion for a project) I don't know what to say. I'm not a Muslim, perhapse I'd count as a muslim in the old sense but not a capital M Muslim. But at the same time it does not feel right to say "no I am not a Muslim". I mean where to I go for spiritual sustenance? The Qur'an. So I am somewhat stuck. I feel like I am constantly lying to my friends, both Muslim and non Muslim. When a non Muslim says something false about Islam and I correct him "well I think they actually believe...." I feel like a liar, like someone posing as an impartial observer when really I am anything but. Same thing when I talk with Muslims (as I mentioned before). A friend of mine is a Muslim who's in a class with me and some other non Muslim friends. We were all (except him) having a somewhat inappropiate discussion. I mean nothing horrid just the sort of thing late teen/early twenties male college students talk about. Women, drinking stories, laud jokes etc. And he's just kind of quiet. Not wanting to join in (as it would really not be an appropiate conversation for a Muslim or really any member of the Abrahamic faiths) but not wanting to offend us by saying something. When I see him I feel ashamed. When a friend talks about going out to get drunk I might say something to voice disapproval. When he demands to know what's wrong with it I have to stop myself from saying "because it's a sin". I mean why would I the staunchly rationalis agnostic say drinking is a sin! That's something a Muslims would say and I'm not a Muslim (or am I?).

'm sorry if that comes off a bit scatter brained but do you see my position? I'm kind of "half way in half way out", stretched between two worlds. It's creating an intelectual and emotional schizophrenia. I'm an atheist who can't be anything but bored with atheism, can't find Dakins, Hitchens et all anything more than intelectually superficial blowhards, I'm a muslim who can't decide if he believes in God or the prophethood of Muhammed. It's just really stretching me to my wits end.

YusufNoor
03-28-2009, 07:08 AM
:sl:

find out which prayer is there a short talk after, not necessarily a lesson. some do one after Fajr, most around here after Mahgrib. i wish you could hear one my friend Imam Reid's Jummuah Kutbahs. he's not a scholar, but he's got REAL GOOD HEART! Arabic is his native tongue, but he did 4 years of English at College. he's kind of like Khalid Yaseen was a few years back, but not quite so brutal.

one thing to lookout for is that alot of people might think that you've already reverted or that you are there to take Shahadah. an awkward moment might arise!

and be prepared to meet some of the most friendly people that you've ever met! [and stay away from the sisters entrance!!! :hiding:]

here's an interesting video lecture by Mufti Ismail Menk:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...26761126106509

he has a nice way of "currentizing" things. he really knows how to speak of the beauty of Islam!

:w:

gladTidings
03-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Salaam

Your post just reminded me of Idris Tawfique's conversion story that I heard at one of his lectures a couple of weeks back. His story is beautiful one...
http://www.idristawfiq.com/3-One%20mans.html

Ws

Hamayun
03-28-2009, 10:45 AM

Why not speak to the Imam when its not time for Salah. At that time he will be on his own and you could just treat as a casual visit.

Just see him when he is on his own and have a casual discussion.

I can understand how you feel :)

You could always visit a Mosque out of town if you don't want to bump into someone you know.

Bro I have to say you have my utmost respect for your honesty :)

May Allah bless you and keep you on the right path :)

Peace

Ali.
03-28-2009, 10:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257
No I'm sorry, let me explain.

When a Muslim friend of mine, the one who actually sparked my interest in Islam btw, says "I mean I know your not a Muslim, but I'm just explaining to you how we see things" (I was asking her a qestion for a project) I don't know what to say. I'm not a Muslim, perhapse I'd count as a muslim in the old sense but not a capital M Muslim. But at the same time it does not feel right to say "no I am not a Muslim". I mean where to I go for spiritual sustenance? The Qur'an. So I am somewhat stuck. I feel like I am constantly lying to my friends, both Muslim and non Muslim. When a non Muslim says something false about Islam and I correct him "well I think they actually believe...." I feel like a liar, like someone posing as an impartial observer when really I am anything but. Same thing when I talk with Muslims (as I mentioned before). A friend of mine is a Muslim who's in a class with me and some other non Muslim friends. We were all (except him) having a somewhat inappropiate discussion. I mean nothing horrid just the sort of thing late teen/early twenties male college students talk about. Women, drinking stories, laud jokes etc. And he's just kind of quiet. Not wanting to join in (as it would really not be an appropiate conversation for a Muslim or really any member of the Abrahamic faiths) but not wanting to offend us by saying something. When I see him I feel ashamed. When a friend talks about going out to get drunk I might say something to voice disapproval. When he demands to know what's wrong with it I have to stop myself from saying "because it's a sin". I mean why would I the staunchly rationalis agnostic say drinking is a sin! That's something a Muslims would say and I'm not a Muslim (or am I?).

'm sorry if that comes off a bit scatter brained but do you see my position? I'm kind of "half way in half way out", stretched between two worlds. It's creating an intelectual and emotional schizophrenia. I'm an atheist who can't be anything but bored with atheism, can't find Dakins, Hitchens et all anything more than intelectually superficial blowhards, I'm a muslim who can't decide if he believes in God or the prophethood of Muhammed. It's just really stretching me to my wits end.
Hmm.. well earlier you mentioned if you saw a friend in the Mosque what would you do..

What's the worse that could happen? I mean, what's a little admittance to interest in a religion going to do? Yes, as you've kept a little quiet about your interest, it may be of a shock to them, but so be it, it seems that this is a step that would be very beneficial and of a relief to you.

I say, go for it. You're killing yourself not going, lol. All these thoughts you're coming up with.. It's best to go ASAP I think before more thoughts spring to your mind actually preventing you from going forever.

I hope you understand what I mean..

:)

Banu_Hashim
03-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Salam.

I agree with the others. First thing, take off your shoes. This is so that that place where people pray is clean.

And secondly, make yourself known to the imam or someone on the Mosque committee etc. so they know what your aims are exactly. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help you and support you if need be.

Take Care :).

wth1257
03-28-2009, 08:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
Hmm.. well earlier you mentioned if you saw a friend in the Mosque what would you do..

What's the worse that could happen? I mean, what's a little admittance to interest in a religion going to do? Yes, as you've kept a little quiet about your interest, it may be of a shock to them, but so be it, it seems that this is a step that would be very beneficial and of a relief to you.

I say, go for it. You're killing yourself not going, lol. All these thoughts you're coming up with.. It's best to go ASAP I think before more thoughts spring to your mind actually preventing you from going forever.

I hope you understand what I mean..

:)

Yeah. It's not good to just sit back in inaction and mope around. Thanks for you all being patient with me and my whining. It's such a busy time that it's always tempting to sucumb to the temptation to just whine without ever doing anything. Plus I've been in a mood lately that's far too deferential to external validation

So, I am far too busy at the moment to do anything. So I will continue to read and then try to make an appointment with the Imam right after finals.

So there :statisfie

Ali.
03-28-2009, 08:11 PM
^Lol, whatever you think is best. :D

Out of interest, what are you currently studying?

Yanal
03-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Just ask him kindly and he will understand inshAllah. Good luck .

wth1257
03-28-2009, 08:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
^Lol, whatever you think is best. :D

Out of interest, what are you currently studying?
Political Science and Russian.

wth1257
03-28-2009, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Just ask him kindly and he will understand inshAllah. Good luck .
Yeah, the only problem is I'm not sure the local Mosque has a fll time Imam. I think one of the professors from the med school does it part time.

BUT!

Now I'm back in a propper mood and will not be stoped by these small details:D

I still have good contacts with my old English teachers from Hish School ans can check with him an a good Imam to chat with.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.