/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim smokers worse than cows: Malaysia cleric

north_malaysian
03-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Muslim smokers worse than cows

REUTERS
updated 2:37 a.m. ET March 27, 2009

KUALA LUMPUR - Muslims who smoke and try to portray themselves as pious are worse than cows which defecate in the street, a top Malaysian Muslim cleric and politician said.

"...a cow which defecates in the middle of the road, (we) cannot take legal action against it because it has no brain and cannot think," said Nik Aziz who is the spiritual leader of the country's Pan-Islamic Party (PAS).

"But human beings, who have brains, for them to do something which is wrong in religion ... when they are in an attire which symbolizes Islam, they can be regarded as being more despicable than cows," he said on Friday, according to Malaysia's state news agency Bernama.

PAS is one of the three parties in Malaysia's opposition alliance led by former deputy prime minister Anwar Ibrahim.

Nik Aziz said that smoking was forbidden by Islam.

Recently, Indonesia's top Islamic body passed a fatwa or ruling banning smoking. Malaysia's top Islamic body has also banned smoking.

Despite the ban in Malaysia, where over half the population of 27 million is Muslim, 50 percent of the male population smokes according to World Health Organization (WHO) data.

Copyright 2009 Reuters.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29908766/

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
03-27-2009, 11:45 AM
:haha:.. got to love Malaysia -- saw lots of them in Egypt--really lovely people but painfully shy, they kept to themselves made it rather difficult to walk up to one of them and say salaamz but they do smile when you smile to them =)

eh off topic but thought I'd just say.. when in Egypt mingle with the locals

:w:

Sahabiyaat
03-27-2009, 02:42 PM
i know man
malaysian girls in my uni are SOOO shy! there lil quiet door mouses

Amadeus85
03-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Smoking is waste of money and health first of all.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
YusufNoor
03-27-2009, 06:04 PM
:sl:

it's still better than cows smoking and old men pooping in the streets...

ardianto
03-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Is smoker has a brain ?
If they have brains they will not smoking because .......

- There is fatwa that ban smoking (in certain Muslims countries)
- Smoking is a slow suicide (how many people die causes by smoking in every year ?)
- Smoking is poisoning innocent people (remember pasive smoker ?)
- Smoking is similar as burning money (how much money that spent by a smoker in a year ?)
- Smoking is a begining of narcotics using (some ex-narco users said that)
- Not only for physical health, smoking is bad for mental health (some smokers confess, cannot thinking without smoking)
- And many more.

I dont know how price of pack of a cigarette in Malaysia. I think cigarette price in Indonesia is too cheap.
I try to compare food and cigarette price between Indonesia and Singapore.
In Indonesia we can eat rice and fried chicken in fastfood restaurant with US$ 1.0 and we can buy a pack of cigarette with only US$ 0.7.
In Singapore we can eat rice and fried chicken in fastfood restaurant with US$ 1.5. However, if we want to buy a pack of cigarette we need US$ 6.5 or even more.

Several months ago Majelis Ulama Indonesia (Indonesia Ulema Council) released a fatwa that ban smoking. Unfortunately, altough Indonesian muslims know this fatwa, they stil smoking. Maybe because many ulema in Indonesia are smokers. This is a reality.
But I feel, today is better. Altough I often see Muslims smoking on Masjid's yard, I never see Muslims smoking IN Masjid like years ago.
Some Indonesian Muslims party and organization start to ban smoking for its members. And campus Masjid activies started that more than 20 years ago.

And about cheap price of cigarette in Indonesia. I think this is a dilemma for Indonesian Govt. Many Indonesian people are working in cigarette factory, and Indonesian cigarette companies give a huge contribution for tax.
If Indonesian Govt added highly tax to increase a cigarette price, maybe Indonesian people would stop smoking or at least reduce a cigarette consumption, but many people would become jobless.

At last, in this opportunity I talk to everyone : Don't ever try smoking. When you smoking once, you will smoking twice then again, again and again.
Believe me, stop smoking is very very very difficult.

Mysterious Uk
03-28-2009, 01:14 PM
A cigarette is a pinch of tabacco, wrapped in paper. Fire at one end, fool at the other.

Just kidding, although if you do smoke.. you should really try to stop :)

Uthman
03-28-2009, 01:24 PM

LockOn
03-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Smoking not only harms yourself, but those around you. It should be ruthlessly stamped out from Islamic Lands.

north_malaysian
03-30-2009, 02:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
:haha:.. got to love Malaysia -- saw lots of them in Egypt--really lovely people but painfully shy, they kept to themselves made it rather difficult to walk up to one of them and say salaamz but they do smile when you smile to them =)

eh off topic but thought I'd just say.. when in Egypt mingle with the locals

I have some friends who studied in Egypt...reasons why they dont want to mingle with locals...like:

1) Malaysians speak Standard Arabic, but when they went to shops, the Egyptians refuse to entertain them as they dont speak Egyptian Arabic...in Saudi Arabia, the shopkeepers love Malaysians but not in Egypt.

2) There are many Malaysian students in Egypt, 6,000 in Al Azhar University alone... so they are used to be with Malaysians only.... it happens in my university too... there are many students from Chechnya and they dont mix with other nationalities...

3) Malaysian students mostly stay in apartments own by religious councils from every single state in Malaysia (Penang has one apartment there).. so it's hard for them to mingle with locals...

Being shy (especially for girls) is part of our culture...

north_malaysian
03-30-2009, 02:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
i know man
malaysian girls in my uni are SOOO shy! there lil quiet door mouses
Just shout to them "Apa Khabar!!" ("How are you!!"), they'll embrace you like a long lost cousin... :D

north_malaysian
03-30-2009, 02:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amadeus85
Smoking is waste of money and health first of all.
that's why cow is better than smokers...

north_malaysian
03-30-2009, 02:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
:sl:

old men pooping in the streets...

eww:eek:

north_malaysian
03-30-2009, 02:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

I dont know how price of pack of a cigarette in Malaysia. I think cigarette price in Indonesia is too cheap.
I dont know the price as I never smoke... but every year the price increases ... and the smokers are complaining about the price.. so it should be expensive too... and heard news of so many cigarettes smuggled in from Indonesia...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.