/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Situ Gintung reservoir was broke

ardianto
03-27-2009, 01:09 PM
At least 54 people are dead and more than 20 people are missing after a dike in Situ Gintung reservoir ,Tangerang, Indonesia, was broke before dawn on March 27, 2009 and flooding a lower area beside the reservoir.

Located near South Jakarta, Situ (Small lake) Gintung is a human made reservoir that was build about 1933.
Situ Gintung was a water recreation resort that surounded by school, playground, university and village.

http://www.liputan6.com/video/?progr...=797048&page=1

http://www.liputan6.com/video/&progr...=797005&page=1

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
mayza
03-29-2009, 05:58 AM
It's kinda strange how these disaster always happen in Indonesia. Most of them could've been prevented. When something like this happens, they play the blame game, but when aid money comes through, they always fight for it.

My prayers are with the victims, and I hope that someone would have the courage to admit to their faults and resign. But you never see that happening in Indonesia.

M

ardianto
03-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Victims more than 100.

That 20 meters height dike is made from soil and thin concrete. Began to wreck since 2 years ago but never got an optimal repairing.
People blame government for that, and some government officer blame villager "Why they lived on that area ?"
In the past, that reservoir was larger, then became smaller after many people live there.

Local govt has a plan to relocate them, but I think maybe is hard to do. Almost in every disaster, survivors refuse a relocation and want to back again.

That disaster was happened just 13 days before Parliement election. Many political parties came and gave aid to them. Of course under their 'flags'. A reported said "Those political parties are looking for sympathy".

I Hope when money aid come, no one fight for that. Fight for aid after dissaster is oftenly happens. This is a reality in Indonesia.

You right Mayza. Disaster always happens in Indonesia. This is because many Indonesian people damaging nature. Maybe those disasters are 'Nature's fury'.

mayza
03-29-2009, 03:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Victims more than 100.

That 20 meters height dike is made from soil and thin concrete. Began to wreck since 2 years ago but never got an optimal repairing.
People blame government for that, and some government officer blame villager "Why they lived on that area ?"
In the past, that reservoir was larger, then became smaller after many people live there.

Local govt has a plan to relocate them, but I think maybe is hard to do. Almost in every disaster, survivors refuse a relocation and want to back again.

That disaster was happened just 13 days before Parliement election. Many political parties came and gave aid to them. Of course under their 'flags'. A reported said "Those political parties are looking for sympathy".

I Hope when money aid come, no one fight for that. Fight for aid after dissaster is oftenly happens. This is a reality in Indonesia.

You right Mayza. Disaster always happens in Indonesia. This is because many Indonesian people damaging nature. Maybe those disasters are 'Nature's fury'.
Assalam Mr. Aridanto,
Every time I watch the TV, more people are found dead and homeless people are living off donations. These scenes not only make me sad, but also mad. Yes, they have been complaints about the dam since 2 years ago, but nothing was done. If you watch al-jazeera, there was report on how many 'Situ' there are in the jkt/bogor area (more than 140, if i'm not mistaken) and only 21 of them were repaired. Please watch al-jazeera for confirmation.

Btw, Mr. Ardianto, do you know who are consulting the repair of the dams.? Let's welcome the Dutch. Yes, ironic, isn't it?

the blame game is on. Now it's the people's fault, huh? i bet these same people pay for PBB taxes, hence have the right to live there. I'm sick of excuses. And if these areas are forbidden to be made in residential area, just kick them out. kok gitu aja repot? But money talks, if you know what I mean?

They will fight over the aid money, if any should be given. Same old story, mr. adianto. I have this theory about how politician think. "Lebih baik mencegah daripada mengobati" is a famous indonesian saying. But in reality, "lebih menguntungkan mengobati daripada mencegah".

It's not 'nature's fury', but human greed and stupidity

Well,this is indonesia for you. what more can i say?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
north_malaysian
03-30-2009, 02:58 AM
i heard people saying that it's like a "mini-tsunami"...

mayza
03-30-2009, 06:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
i heard people saying that it's like a "mini-tsunami"...
I don't know if I would call it a mini tsunami. The tsunami was a natural disaster, but this incident was human error, in my opinion.

around 100 dead (until now - 30th march 2009) compared to more than 200.000. yeah, we call it a mini tsunami.

There was also news about making a warning system near the dams. In the tsunami struck areas, it takes 15/20 minutes for the waves to hit land after the quake, which enables people to run to the hills. In the Situ Gintung area, the residential housing are only a few metres away for the dam. you do the math.

north_malaysian
03-30-2009, 07:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mayza
In the Situ Gintung area, the residential housing are only a few metres away for the dam. you do the math.
A few metres? OK... that's crazy...

i thought dams shud be built far away from any residential/commercial/industrial areas

ardianto
03-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Assalam Mr. Aridanto,
Every time I watch the TV, more people are found dead and homeless people are living off donations. These scenes not only make me sad, but also mad. Yes, they have been complaints about the dam since 2 years ago, but nothing was done. If you watch al-jazeera, there was report on how many 'Situ' there are in the jkt/bogor area (more than 140, if i'm not mistaken) and only 21 of them were repaired. Please watch al-jazeera for confirmation.

Btw, Mr. Ardianto, do you know who are consulting the repair of the dams.? Let's welcome the Dutch. Yes, ironic, isn't it?

the blame game is on. Now it's the people's fault, huh? i bet these same people pay for PBB taxes, hence have the right to live there. I'm sick of excuses. And if these areas are forbidden to be made in residential area, just kick them out. kok gitu aja repot? But money talks, if you know what I mean?

They will fight over the aid money, if any should be given. Same old story, mr. adianto. I have this theory about how politician think. "Lebih baik mencegah daripada mengobati" is a famous indonesian saying. But in reality, "lebih menguntungkan mengobati daripada mencegah".

It's not 'nature's fury', but human greed and stupidity

Well,this is indonesia for you. what more can i say?
Lho, kok tahu cukup banyak tentang Indonesia dan bahasanya ?
Apa mungkin anda orang Indonesia atau pernah tinggal di Indonesia ?
:happy:

I don't know how many 'Situ' in Jabodetabek (Jakarta Bogor Depok Tangerang Bekasi), maybe more than 140 and many of them need repairing.

Situ Gintung was build by Dutch East Indies. Now after its has broken, Indonesia Govt call Japanese for repairing. And this confuse me, Indonesia has many university and has many engineers, but why Indonesia Govt must call Japanese ?.
I cannot imagine, what will my daddy says if he still alive (He passed away when I was in Uni). He was a hydrolog, graduate from Gajah Mada University and got some short course In University of California Berkeley and other university in Hawaii and Japan. Create and built a dam, resorvoir and irigation was his skill, and.....he is Indonesian.

One of daily problem in indonesia is : Many people built houses and another building in forbidden area. No one forbidd them when they start to built (they confesse they bought that area from .......mysterious man, maybe). However, when that area has full of resident, local govt kick them out and -of course- causing a riot.
In Situ Gintung, people build many houses just few metres away from dam (Mass media describe it not dam but dike). In actualy they were living more than 10 metres below the water front !

mayza
03-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Apa mungkin anda orang Indonesia atau pernah tinggal di Indonesia ?
:happy:
iya, orang indonesia kok....

[I]Situ Gintung was build by Dutch East Indies. Now after its has broken, Indonesia Govt call Japanese for repairing. And this confuse me, Indonesia has many university and has many engineers, but why Indonesia Govt must call Japanese ?.
I cannot imagine, what will my daddy says if he still alive (He passed away when I was in Uni). He was a hydrolog, graduate from Gajah Mada University and got some short course In University of California Berkeley and other university in Hawaii and Japan. Create and built a dam, resorvoir and irigation was his skill, and.....he is Indonesian.
I am sure that there are professionals who can the job, but maybe the aid money requires using people who are giving the aid. aid from country x, uses human resource from country x. So basically the money goes back to their people, and some just get kick backs. this is just my assumption. please correct me if wrong.

[I]One of daily problem in indonesia is : Many people built houses and another building in forbidden area. No one forbidd them when they start to built (they confesse they bought that area from .......mysterious man, maybe). However, when that area has full of resident, local govt kick them out and -of course- causing a riot.
In Situ Gintung, people build many houses just few metres away from dam (Mass media describe it not dam but dike). In actualy they were living more than 10 metres below the water front !
old problem, mr ardianto.... it's just stoopid city planning. Look at all the swamp areas being made into residential planning, pantai indah kapuk, kelapa gading, etc. a few years ago, muara karang had never heard of floods, even if its high tide. It seems that i always watch water world every month or so... it's sad and somewhat scary....

I'm not optimistic about this year's elections. I don't know about you. promises promises and more promises....

north_malaysian
03-31-2009, 01:10 AM
Apa mungkin anda orang Indonesia atau pernah tinggal di Indonesia ?:happy:
I was thinking the same... LOL

I am a Malaysian citizen but have Aceh and Betawi ancestries....

mayza
03-31-2009, 02:50 AM
I was thinking the same... LOL

I am a Malaysian citizen but have Aceh and Betawi ancestries....
We are all muslims and fellow humans.... heheheheheh :-)

Btw, malaysia is a great country... indonesia should learn a lot from your country...

north_malaysian
04-01-2009, 01:00 AM
We are all muslims and fellow humans.... heheheheheh :-)

Btw, malaysia is a great country... indonesia should learn a lot from your country...
But, Indonesia is an older country from Malaysia ... we also should learn alot from your country too...

mayza
04-01-2009, 05:12 PM
But, Indonesia is an older country from Malaysia ... we also should learn alot from your country too...
Older might not always be wiser, NM

north_malaysian
04-02-2009, 01:27 AM
Older might not always be wiser, NM
at least being older has more experiences...

ardianto
04-02-2009, 01:25 PM
iya, orang indonesia kok....

I am sure that there are professionals who can the job, but maybe the aid money requires using people who are giving the aid. aid from country x, uses human resource from country x. So basically the money goes back to their people, and some just get kick backs. this is just my assumption. please correct me if wrong.
I am back ! I need few days for find some fact that a can use for correct you. Unfortunately, I cannot found anything.
You right bro, Government often said about aid from other country. People think aid means country x give money to Indonesia, but in fact that is a loan with many conditions.

Someone told, if you look around from outside you will have a better sighting and get a better view than if you look around from inside.
Maybe you know more because you are not in Indonesia.

ardianto
04-02-2009, 01:33 PM
at least being older has more experiences...
Experience is the best teacher, but experience is not a lesson.
Teacher teach a lesson to student, and student get a knowledge.
Just imagine, if the teacher teach a lesson and the student is sleep.

mayza
04-03-2009, 01:34 AM
I am back ! I need few days for find some fact that a can use for correct you. Unfortunately, I cannot found anything.
You right bro, Government often said about aid from other country. People think aid means country x give money to Indonesia, but in fact that is a loan with many conditions.
There are grants and loans. Grants are aid that you don't have to pay back, while loans are aid that has to be paid back with high interest. Well, this is to my understanding.

Someone told, if you look around from outside you will have a better sighting and get a better view than if you look around from inside.
Maybe you know more because you are not in Indonesia.
I would recommend watching al-jazeera oin cable TV, if you want an alternative to the local media.... there's this show called 101 east. They have a lot of reports about indonesia. di google aja pak...

north_malaysian
04-03-2009, 02:46 AM
I would recommend watching al-jazeera oin cable TV, if you want an alternative to the local media.... there's this show called 101 east. They have a lot of reports about indonesia. di google aja pak...
Lots of reports about my crazy country too...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.