/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Archbishop of Canterbury praises Britain's Muslims

Uthman
03-28-2009, 01:13 PM
The Archbishop of Canterbury has praised Muslims for stimulating debate about religion in Britain.

Dr Rowan Williams said that Islamic people had helped promote the discussion of faith in a society that had become "rather unfriendly" for religious people.

His comments to a Muslim newspaper come a year after he faced calls to resign after saying it was inevitable that Sharia law would be introduced into Britain.

The clerical head of the Church of England has also sparked controversy in the past by saying that some parts of Christianity are offensive to Muslims.

In an interview with the Muslim News published on Friday, he said: "I think Islam has made a very significant contribution to getting a debate about religion into public life.

"And I think it's very right that we should have these debates and discussions between Muslims and Christians and others in public.

"If we are not allowed as religious people to talk and argue about these issues in public then I think society has become a rather unfriendly place for religious people, and that's not helpful change."

He also blamed the public for voting in successive governments that "pushed for growth" without always addressing poverty.

On Wednesday the archbishop warned that religious belief would not halt the environmental damaged caused by global warming, saying that God would not guarantee a "happy ending".

In a lecture at York Minster he said: "I think that to suggest that God might intervene to protect us from the corporate folly of our practices is as unchristian and unbiblical as to suggest that he protects us from the results of our individual folly or sin."

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
03-28-2009, 02:35 PM
The Archbishop of Canterbury has always been friendly to Muslims. This has made him unpopular both within the church and within the wider society.

Amadeus85
03-28-2009, 04:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
The Archbishop of Canterbury has always been friendly to Muslims. This has made him unpopular both within the church and within the wider society.
I think that he is bit unpopular because he doesnt put enough attention to the problems of his own church and the society.

Uthman
03-28-2009, 05:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amadeus85
I think that he is bit unpopular because he doesnt put enough attention to the problems of his own church and the society.
It could be true about him not paying enough attention to his own church.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Whatsthepoint
03-28-2009, 06:13 PM
I think the pope or some other top Catholic said the same.

Zafran
03-28-2009, 07:45 PM
salaam

yeah intresting article

peace

Uthman
03-28-2009, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
I think the pope or some other top Catholic said the same.
It might have been Bishop of Rochester Michael Nazir-Ali who is now stepping down incidentally.

Amadeus85
03-28-2009, 08:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
It might have been Bishop of Rochester Michael Nazir-Ali who is now stepping down incidentally.
No, it was a french priest. :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.