/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Trowbridge in Wiltshire first in Britain to be twinned with Muslim Arab town

Uthman
03-28-2009, 01:28 PM
The Wiltshire town of Trowbridge has become the first in Britain to be twinned with a Muslim Arab town.

Trowbridge has officially been twinned with the Moroccan city of Oujda in reflection of its large Moroccan community.

Trowbridge's Moroccan Partnership Steering Group Chairman Cllr Bob Brice, said: "Hopefully we can show the rest of the country how Muslim and Christian communities can get on together."

Abdel Boutarfas, chairman of the Trowbridge Moroccan Community Association, said: "Having a twinning between a west country town and a Muslim town is significantly important. It can only help to break down barriers and have benefits for the local people in Trowbridge as well as those of Moroccan origin.

"I think it really puts Trowbrige on the map."

The Moroccan population in Trowbridge is second only to that in London with about 80 families in the town.

Many families came to the town in the 1960s in response to a need for workers at mattress maker Airsprung and food producer Bowyers.

A delegation from Trowbridge, including the mayor, went to Oudja in January to sign the twinning charter.

The town has a population of about 500,000 and is close to Algerian border.

Trowbridge is already twinned with Leer, Germany, Charenton-Le-Pont, France, and, along with the four other west Wiltshire towns, the Polish district of Elblag.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
03-28-2009, 02:21 PM
:sl:
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
What exactly does twinning involve?
Beats me.

My own town is apparently twinned with three other towns but it's never been clear to me exactly what that entails.

:w:

Al-Zaara
03-28-2009, 02:32 PM
City and town twinning

A sort of partnership apparently. Similiar I believe some Universities have with other Universities. Or schools in general, for example.

north_malaysian
03-30-2009, 07:55 AM
George Town, Malaysia is a twin city of Adelaide, Australia.

The reason: George Town was founded by the father, Sir Francis Light in 1786 and Adelaide was founded by the son, Colonel William Light in 1836.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Trumble
03-31-2009, 07:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
I hate to be cynical, but it seems to be just a few expenses paid 'fact-finding' tours by local politicians and unelected officials, and the occasional 'cultural' event to justify them.

I suppose there's some cross-tourism, but I honestly can't see many of the good people of Oujda wanting to visit Trowbridge. Still, it is quite pretty around there and there's a fair bit to see and do if you travel a few miles.

Whatsthepoint
03-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Well all I can say is bravo Trowbridge, Wiltshire, wherever that is.

MO783
03-31-2009, 12:35 PM
cool

Muezzin
04-02-2009, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dudette
Confused Sat-Navs?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.