/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Democratic System

divine_quran
03-28-2009, 07:16 PM
Hi Folks

When the beastly practice of Autocratic and Theocratic ruling reached its zenith, some western thinkers originated the idea that in order to eliminate the misery of mankind, therefore they invented a system of government which based on the mutual contract of the people. Thus the theory of “Social Contract” was introduced by Hobbes and Locke. But Rousseau (1712-1778) gave it the practical shape. He said that every man wants freedom but it is virtually impossible, but what could be done that let every individual person allow his/her “will” to get absorbed into the will of the society. In other words make the general will of the society the ultimate source of authority. Theoretically it appeared to be a good idea but the difficulty arose in putting the general will of the people into practice. It was not possible to determine the will of every individual in a society. It was decided to base the form of government on the representatives of the people; and if opinions differ, the decision of the majority be accepted.

To us the biggest flaw of this system is the minority who is bound to accept the decision of the majority and the people. Democracy recognizes as the Government of the people, by the people and for the people. Ideals of democracy are difficult to be realized in practical life. Democracy demands from the people a high degree of civic capacity which involves intelligence, self control and devotion to a common cause and capacity to subordinate to it private interests and desires. It relies on the spirit of give and take. It also demands time to share in common activities, to study the issues involved. But in reality what we see that the common man is indolent in politics. He is neither politically intelligent, nor sufficiently educated. He also does not posses the capacity to understand political problems and is incapable of intelligent action.

Democracy is suited to a state where people who want to exercise power are capable of sinking differences and cooperating for the general good and have acquired knowledge and judgment enough to elect suitable representatives and to judge as to the propriety of general lines of policy. Practically if you really want to study the blossoms of democratic system you can take India & Pakistan as a case study.

Nawaz
Religion Islam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ahmed_indian
03-30-2009, 04:18 PM
the Islamic rule is the best

good of both worlds

Amadeus85
03-30-2009, 04:34 PM
So far democratic countries are best places to live in, most succesful, the safest, the richest. So far there are people from the Third World risking their lifes to get to the shores of democratic societies, not vice versa. Thats why I prefer reality than utopies and dreaming of a better world.

Uthman
03-30-2009, 04:34 PM
"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine" " ~ Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the post akhee. JazakAllah Khayr.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
elee
03-30-2009, 04:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amadeus85
So far democratic countries are best places to live in, most succesful, the safest, the richest. So far there are people from the Third World risking their lifes to get to the shores of democratic societies, not vice versa. Thats why I prefer reality than utopies and dreaming of a better world.
right, so KSA, UAE etc. are poor, with high level of criminal:rolleyes:.
you should really think several times before you say such nonsenses.
Islam is utopia? yeah right, science every day confirms what is already preached for 1500 years in Islam. Alcohol causes cancer, same as red meat, promiscuous life can lead to deathly diseases, like aids or hpv(which is again cause of cancer) etc. not to mention abortions and unwanted children in western world.. THAT is reality, and utopia is temporary satisfaction of needs which then lead to permanent pain and suffer.

aamirsaab
03-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Standard of living is better yes (in terms of education and job prospects). Not neccessarily the best place to live in, however.

As strong as it is, the western/democratic world does have its fair share of weaknesses ;).

Amadeus85
03-30-2009, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE=elee;1117541]
right, so KSA, UAE etc. are poor, with high level of criminal:rolleyes:.
No, they are small countries which hapenned to be placed on the enormous oil resources. You remember how they looked before oil was found there?

you should really think several times before you say such nonsenses.
Islam is utopia? yeah right, science every day confirms what is already preached for 1500 years in Islam. Alcohol causes cancer, same as red meat, promiscuous life can lead to deathly diseases, like aids or hpv(which is again cause of cancer) etc. not to mention abortions and unwanted children in western world.. THAT is reality, and utopia is temporary satisfaction of needs which then lead to permanent pain and suffer.
If everything is so great so why it looks so bad?
Look at the non oil muslim countries, with all the respect, but in rural areas life there didnt really change in last one hunderd years.

Amadeus85
03-30-2009, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Standard of living is better yes (in terms of education and job prospects). Not neccessarily the best place to live in, however.

As strong as it is, the western/democratic world does have its fair share of weaknesses ;).
Said by a man living in Leicester, UK.
About 80% of muslims here live in Europe, USA, Australia or Canada.
The fiercest jihadists here live in USA or UK.
End of topic.

Dawud_uk
03-31-2009, 05:37 AM
Said by a man living in Leicester, UK.
About 80% of muslims here live in Europe, USA, Australia or Canada.
The fiercest jihadists here live in USA or UK.
End of topic.
i would have thought the fiercest jihadists lived in afghanistan, pakistan, somalia, chechnya etc?

so are we not allowed to preach islam and its governmental system because we happen to be living in the west?

(topic most definately not finished)

Dawud_uk
03-31-2009, 05:50 AM
:sl:

Allah swt says in his last and final testament to mankind,

The decision (al hukm) is only for Allah...
6:57

This is his right, Al-Hakim is also one of his names and only he has the right to legislate, going against this is apostasy and rebellion against the truth.

But lets look at democracy -v- the shariah,

democracy is the rule of the majority, or the majority of those allowed to take part in the system.

If they want homosexuality or bestiality, fine, majority rule goes. want to be allowed to drink and do as you please? fine, majority says it is ok as long as dont hurt anyone else.

Shariah is different, shariah law instead protects mankind even from himself.

Lets ask a question, who knows man better, man or God?

Our creator knows us best, he knows what is better for us, knows what we need and dont need so how can we say we can creat a system of laws that is better than the one he has given us?

This is why whomever has said it is allowed to do this has disbelieved, he has taken his own ration as his ilah, or the ration of others and such taken secularism as his taghoot (false god).

And whosoever does not judge by what Allâh has revealed, such are the Kâfirûn
5:44

When asked about the different types of Taghoot, Sheikh Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahab listed the ruler who ruled by other than Allah has revealled and the judge who judged by it as two of his five classifications.

So it should be clear, Islam is different from democracy, democracy is kufr akbar and a form of idolitry, disbelief in the attribute of Allah and falsely giving that right to another.

:sl:

elee
03-31-2009, 08:52 AM
No, they are small countries which hapenned to be placed on the enormous oil resources. You remember how they looked before oil was found there?

If everything is so great so why it looks so bad?
Look at the non oil muslim countries, with all the respect, but in rural areas life there didnt really change in last one hunderd years.
In that direction we can go forever in discussion, like where would be rest of the world without oil? You see today's crisis? Countries are bankrupting, not to speak about banks or some industries, millions of people getting fired from job. Does that look good? In the end it doesn't matter how it looks there, or anywhere.. nobody takes his material wealth with himself after death. Values you talk about are material, but other, spiritual values can't be seen with eye, and western world has a serious lack of them. Most people on west who lose their wealth, or even more common - don't even acquire it, turn to alcohol, their families get destroyed etc.. without money, life is over for them.
of course everyone needs money, but also need's balance in his life.
we are not created to make as much money as possible, because it doesn't count even a cent, on the day we die.

so what if life didn't changed in rural areas? I will post you some statistics:

Jordan — Life Expectancy: 71 years (men), 74 years (women) (UN)
Lebanon — Life Expectancy: 70 years (men), 74 years (women) (UN)
Syria — Life Expectancy: 67.63 male, 69.98 female (2001 est.)
Tunisia — Life Expectancy: male: 73.2 years female: 76.71 years (2005 est.)
Morocco — Life Expectancy: male: 68.35 years, female: 73.07 years (2005 est.)
Saudi Arabia — Life Expectancy: 72

does that look third world? or do people need bling bling and fancy stuff to live long same as everywhere else in the west?

Amadeus85
03-31-2009, 01:59 PM
[QUOTE=Dawud_uk;1117793]
i would have thought the fiercest jihadists lived in afghanistan, pakistan, somalia, chechnya etc?
I mean about the biggest warriors clicking HERE on this respected Forum. They sit safely in London, New York or Birmingham and after log in LI change into modern age Salladins or Suleymans The Great.
so are we not allowed to preach islam and its governmental system because we happen to be living in the west?
Well preaching christianity or judaism is forbidden in muslim countries, so it would be fair vice versa, dont You think?
Thats obviously one of the weaknesses of the democratic system that Aamirsaab was talking about. That we too often allow views that are extremely hostile to us and our civlizaton.

aamirsaab
03-31-2009, 02:26 PM
Thats obviously one of the weaknesses of the democratic system that Aamirsaab was talking about. That we too often allow views that are extremely hostile to us and our civlizaton.
Weaknesses of ''democracy'':

1) Not actually a democracy. More of an elected group of dictators that run for a set period.
2) Society does not know what is best for it. E.g. alcohol, gambling and cigarettes being a social norm in the UK and US.
3) Strong leaders make strong societies. We have a blundering fool for a leader right now.
4) We had a liar before him. Who was elected twice. (see point 2 again)
5) Leaders abusing their power (go to war whenever they feel like it; make a couple of new [''anti-terror''] laws that bypasses the system completely). See point 1 again.

Of course, it also has a lot of positives (hence I am still living here, comfortably); namely a multi-cultural society, strong education and excellent career prospects (If you are of the cynical nature you would call me a leach - I would respond: ''takes one to know one''). I am merely pointing out that no system is without its flaws.

And whilst you may think it foolish or hypocritical of me (a brit) to take potshots at his country of residence, I feel that it I am merely exercising my freedom of speech to critically analyze and offer suggestions for improvement.

:shade:

Uthman
03-31-2009, 05:19 PM
"Democracy forever teases us with the contrast between its ideals and its realities, between its heroic possibilities and its sorry achievements." ~ Agnes Repplier

Gotta love these democracy quotations. :D

Amadeus85
03-31-2009, 05:29 PM
There is no even one islamic state nowadays, as muslims here remind very often. And we have no signs that there will be any in near future. Meanwhile we have democratic societies, which despite having weaknesses(but I see definitely different bad points than Aamirsaab), are most succesful places to live. You have freedom of thought, faith, you are born free and with the equal political rights. Compare it to China, Russia, Egypt, Iran, or Cuba.

Uthman
03-31-2009, 05:35 PM
Compare it to China
Are Chinese people generally unhappy with the censorship/restrictions that are placed upon them? (Genuine question).

themuffinman
03-31-2009, 05:54 PM
you would never hear at the people in china who are unhappy about their govt. their govt rules with an iron fist dont they? the thing about an islamic system of government is that it relies too much on the morailty of those in power to work and you cannot deny even with all of democracys short comings its the only system in which most of its inhabitants are prosperous. you can dream up of a utopian society all day but when you put human nature into the equation it throws it off and the American system is the only one that has worked so far. also saudi arabia and the UAE dont count they are not complete islamic forms of government and they got immensely lucky with all the oil.

Silver
03-31-2009, 06:13 PM
The democratic system is currently the best political system. It is better than the monarchies in golf countries. It is better that the flawed islamic political systems in Iran and some other countries.
Islamic rule is good but I am affraid current muslim political and religious leaders won't interpret the sharia laws correctly...

Amadeus85
03-31-2009, 06:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Osman
Are Chinese people generally unhappy with the censorship/restrictions that are placed upon them? (Genuine question).
If I was a chinese I would answer You with firm statement, but since Im not I can only guess that - Yes.

Keltoi
03-31-2009, 06:29 PM
There is another quote

“It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.” Winston Churchill

Uthman
03-31-2009, 06:46 PM
If I was a chinese I would answer You with firm statement, but since Im not I can only guess that - Yes.
Okay. It's just that I remember in the run-up to last year's olympic games when the chinese government temporarily allowed their people access to the BBC website. A lot of chinese people openly criticised the BBC on their forums for criticising their government, basically conveying that they are happy with the way things are run and they believe it to be for their own good etc. Of course, I'm in no position to say whether these views are representative of the majority of chinese people.

Dawud_uk
03-31-2009, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=Amadeus85;1117890]
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk

I mean about the biggest warriors clicking HERE on this respected Forum. They sit safely in London, New York or Birmingham and after log in LI change into modern age Salladins or Suleymans The Great.

Well preaching christianity or judaism is forbidden in muslim countries, so it would be fair vice versa, dont You think?
not really, i dont agree with your concept of free speech, people should only be allowed to openly promote the truth, not falsehood.

but if your country wishes to give me freedom to say what i want then that is there look out not mine.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.