/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Turkey's AKP wins the local elections, but loses strength.

Güven
03-30-2009, 01:09 PM

Turkey's AKP wins the local elections, but loses strength.

Erdogan admitted that he was not satisfied
with the results

ANKARA, March 30 -- Turkey's ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) led by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan won the local elections on Sunday, but it suffered a slide in popularity since it swept to power in 2002.

The local elections results have shown that the AKP garnered 39.1 percent of the votes for the provincial assemblies nationwide, Turkey's private NTV channel reported Monday. The party lost 7.6 percent of its support when compared with results of the 2007 general elections.

The main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) followed with 23.2 percent of the votes and the opposition Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) ranked the third with 16.1 percent of the votes, said NTV.

In Turkey's biggest city of Istanbul, current Mayor Kadir Topbas, an AKP candidate, had 44.3 percent of the votes while his rival CHP's Kemal Kilicdaroglu had 36.9 percent. In the capital city of Ankara, AKP candidate, current mayor Melih Gokcek, won therace with 38.5 percent.

The vote took place against a backdrop of record unemployment and a worsening economy, as Turkey's once booming economy has been severely hit by the global economic crisis.

Although the AKP won most of the votes around the country, the situation is not as positive as some predicted before the elections.

In southeastern Turkey, despite the ruling party's willing and hard effort to win voters, the pro-Kurdish Democratic Society Party (DTP) grabbed its mayoralties tightly with a overwhelming advantage.

Especially in the region's biggest city of Diyarbakir, the DTP, symbol of Kurdish political identity, won the local elections with 65.4 percent.

Another surprise is in the Mediterranean city of Antalya, where the AKP's Mayor Menderes Turel was defeated by CHP candidate Mustafa Akaydin with a promising 40.7 percent of votes.

"I am not satisfied with local elections results so far," Erdogan said at a press conference following the counting of the ballots early Monday.

"We think it is important to take lessons both from achievements and from failures," said Erdogan, adding "I hope that the election results would benefit the Turkish nation."

"We went to the ballot boxes and displayed the free will of our people. The democratic local elections will carry Turkey further," Erdogan stressed.

More than 48 million registered voters cast their ballots Sunday at 177,050 polling stations around the country to elect mayors as well as city and provincial assemblies for 81 city municipalities, including 16 metropolises.

In the 2007 general elections, the AKP obtained 46.6 percent of votes nationwide, the CHP won 20.9 percent, and MHP received 11.3 percent, while DTP gained 5.2 percent.

In the last municipal elections in 2004, the AKP won 12 of 16 Turkey's most important cities, including Istanbul and Ankara.

The opposition has been capitalizing rising unemployment in the country and arguing that the ruling party is powerless while facing the global economic crisis.

However, that did not stop the AKP from being the most popular party among the Turks as it provided stability following years of precarious coalition governments although there is a drop in votes this time.

Source Source2(Al-Jazeera)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Eza
03-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Helal Olsun...
I'm happy that AKP has won.. Support Gaza and blame Israel for Terror!...
İŞTE HİZMET.. İŞTE MİLLET! :)

Whatsthepoint
03-30-2009, 01:16 PM
I thought covered women weren't allowed to go to public places.

Eza
03-30-2009, 01:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
Under which law?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Whatsthepoint
03-30-2009, 01:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eza
Under which law?
The law about politcal and religious symbols in public.

Eza
03-30-2009, 01:29 PM
The law about politcal and religious symbols in public.
Nope there's no such thing like that in Turkey..

Eza
03-30-2009, 01:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eza
Nope there's no such thing like that in Turkey..
Note: As in.. your allowed to go public like that..

Güven
03-30-2009, 01:49 PM
He means the law to separate church(mosque) and state.

Do you really think that Millions of women who wears the headscarf in turkey will take them off in public?

with public you probably mean Political institutes and Schools , I think it only applies for people who work there. Im not sure though maybe they changed the laws. Erdogan's wife wears the headscarf all the time.

Cabdullahi
03-30-2009, 02:09 PM
the islamic revolution has started, thats why!!!#]

Amadeus85
03-30-2009, 04:38 PM
The economic crisis brings back the politicians from their ideological wars and fantasies to realistic politics to cease the people's anger.

Whatsthepoint
03-30-2009, 07:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
He means the law to separate church(mosque) and state.

Do you really think that Millions of women who wears the headscarf in turkey will take them off in public?

with public you probably mean Political institutes and Schools , I think it only applies for people who work there. Im not sure though maybe they changed the laws. Erdogan's wife wears the headscarf all the time.
I meant the law that prevents covered girls from attending university classes.

Whatsthepoint
03-30-2009, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
the islamic revolution has started, thats why!!!#]
As long as they don't come to the European Union they can have whatever revolution they want.:beard:

Eza
04-09-2009, 03:47 AM
Alright lan...

Pomak
04-13-2009, 08:28 PM
I meant the law that prevents covered girls from attending university classes.
Yes thats still the case. It only applies to "government institutions".

Whatsthepoint
04-13-2009, 08:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pomak
Yes thats still the case. It only applies to "government institutions".
So covered girls can attend university classes now?

Pomak
04-13-2009, 11:34 PM
So covered girls can attend university classes now?
No. That falls under the govt buildings clause for some reason.

burdenofbeing
04-13-2009, 11:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pomak
No. That falls under the govt buildings clause for some reason.
true. in fact there is not a law for this purpose. an ambiguous rule (which is very frequent in our laws) was used as a basis for this act. it was cleared by AKP government but "high court" overruled it just to keep the covered girls from entering school buildings, the high court.

about AKP, I didn't vote for them in local elections. they need the humility, and in local elections, I vote for candidates rather than their party.

north_malaysian
04-21-2009, 07:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by burdenofbeing
about AKP, I didn't vote for them in local elections. they need the humility, and in local elections, I vote for candidates rather than their party.
a Turkish friend of mine on facebook hates Erdogan so much for trying to show the Turks as if that he is the only person eligible being a hoca... what a hoca anyway?

burdenofbeing
04-21-2009, 09:24 AM
hoca has different meanings, what he meant was probably the one that stands for imaam.
I don't understand the problem your friend has :)
I am neutral about him, but of course I'd rather have a person that calls himself muslim to be the president of my country than an atheist.

At any rate, presidency is overrated.

Pomak
04-21-2009, 01:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian
a Turkish friend of mine on facebook hates Erdogan so much for trying to show the Turks as if that he is the only person eligible being a hoca... what a hoca anyway?
http://www.tureng.com/search/hoca

north_malaysian
04-22-2009, 01:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by burdenofbeing
hoca has different meanings, what he meant was probably the one that stands for imaam.
I don't understand the problem your friend has :)
I am neutral about him, but of course I'd rather have a person that calls himself muslim to be the president of my country than an atheist.

At any rate, presidency is overrated.
Most of my Turkish friends on facebook are secularists..

I wonder if the Turks (both secularists and Islamists) would vote for an openly-declared non-Muslim as their President

Yanal
04-22-2009, 01:07 AM
Hmmmm interesting article. Well no one can predict how circumstances can change after an election, and as an elected candidate he should know that he has to face whatever comes in his way,its not like he will resign like Pervez Musharraf even though i think Pervez was a good leader circumstances forced him into a dilemma which he chose the easier path,my dua is that this person will not let the people down and do something about it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.