/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ever been to an extremely disappointing event?

AmeeratulJannah
03-31-2009, 12:17 PM

We want to hear from you, have you ever been to an event that was lacking in some way? A disappointing event? A charity dinner, a charity fair or even a lecture.

What went wrong, why do you think that was and what would you like to see in future events?

Wassalam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
transition?
03-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Yes, lol.

Not too long ago, I went to thus lecture and the lecturer was a good speaker but he had no substance in his speech-- it was totally uninspiring. People who create events should know more abt the speakers before they invite them. It's important to look into recommendation.

AmeeratulJannah
03-31-2009, 01:12 PM
So you think we should interact with the target audience beforehand to ask who they'd like to hear at the event? Anything else in terms of timings at events etc? I'm talking mainly fundraising events by the way.

Mysterious Uk
03-31-2009, 03:03 PM
Yes; lecture-wise. Main things i do not like:

- Lectures where you are told to do something but not told why you are doing it.
- When a lecturer just reads of a paper/slideshow/ overhead projector or talks at you all day
- When lecturer themselves just look like they don't want to be there. It is easy to see when a lecturer doesnt care about what they are talking about.

Organisation is key for a perfect event. I think from all the presentations i have done i have learnt:

- know who ur target audience, in terms of what language are you guna use to suite the audience.
- Always have an introduction of what you want to do, like your aims but keep it short and simple so it isn't boring.
-try make it fun or at least a bit interesting.

I have no idea about fundraisers otherwise i would have better advice. N e hu gud luck and all that.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AmeeratulJannah
04-02-2009, 05:28 PM
:sl:

At the sis above, are you talking about lectures at school and college? Because at fundraising events the speakers are usually there on invitation and because they want to be, they dont talk 'all day' because they have a set time slot for e.g. of 15 minutes, and they usually keep it short and to the point.

JazakAllah Khair all the same :)

SouljahOfAllah
04-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Yep... end up going :zzz: :D

Dawud_uk
04-02-2009, 07:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AmeeratulJannah

We want to hear from you, have you ever been to an event that was lacking in some way? A disappointing event? A charity dinner, a charity fair or even a lecture.

What went wrong, why do you think that was and what would you like to see in future events?

Wassalam

timekeeping... why are we as an ummah no longer capable of starting events on time?

simple things to help with time keeping...

how about we make sure we send someone reliable to go early and pick up the speaker if they are coming from outside of town.

and 5mins before things are about to start is a bad time to setup the sound system.

it is like it is in built, everyone so much expects it now that they also turn up late.

we are also unreliable, imagine if we had to go to a battle today... a quarter of the brothers turn up on time and get slaughtered, another quarter turn up later and get upset because the first quarter started things before they could get there. the last half didnt turn up at all despite their promises to do so.

it isnt just people coming to talks and events, it is the organisers themselves. to be honest unless i cant avoid it i dont work with people who are not reliable, where i lived in sheffield i knew all the reliable da'ees and everyone else i just left to do their own thing.

there are many other little matters but reliability and time keeping are musts.

lack of good english speakers for da'wah events also really gets on my nerves, if the sheikh doesnt know english too well then he is no good for speaking to non muslims, simple.

Muezzin
04-02-2009, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk

timekeeping... why are we as an ummah no longer capable of starting events on time?
Too many Indo-Pakistanis.

Like myself.

Dawud_uk
04-03-2009, 05:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Too many Indo-Pakistanis.

Like myself.
not true, arabs and others also cannot keep time. i have in the past been sat in a room with 1 or 2 other reverts as we all wait for the organisers to turn up!

Mysterious Uk
04-03-2009, 09:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AmeeratulJannah

At the sis above, are you talking about lectures at school and college? Because at fundraising events the speakers are usually there on invitation and because they want to be, they dont talk 'all day' because they have a set time slot for e.g. of 15 minutes, and they usually keep it short and to the point.

JazakAllah Khair all the same :)
Lectures at university. I want to be in lectures, but it doesn't mean you can't get bored lol But you said you have a time slot which is quite short so yeh that sounds good. Like i said i don't know anything about fundraisers so i couldn't really be of much help.

Inshallah it will all go well.

AmeeratulJannah
04-03-2009, 11:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SouljahOfAllah
Yep... end up going :zzz: :D
Ah. You see, maybe I wasnt as clear as I could have been. By event yes I mean an event where a speaker has been invited, but also 'Charity Bazaar's'. Where it's all about the stalls and the spending. What did you think of the food, the items for sale. Was there an auction, was it good/reasonable and that kind of thing :)

Wa'alaykum As-Salaam warahmatullah

I really can't say. But I can speak for myself, in the past I've always organised or set the day to begin at the stated time(s). I've only ever left a gap of 10-15 minutes just to wait for more guests. The main thing that has always played on my mind is whether or not people will arrive on time. The last event I managed, people arrived an hour late. Meaning we were an hour behind schedule. My guest speakers and entertainment were left waiting. Was that my fault, no.

To be honest I'd rather have had the audience left waiting for the guest speakers. However, saying that, I think you'll find more organisers want to host the best event they can and if the time-keeping is lacking in some way then it's due to unforeseen happenings and cannot be helped.

I know I asked the question but I'm quite surprised. I thought people would have understood that to organise something is not easy. It required hard work, time and effort. And we can't always help it if things go wrong.

it isnt just people coming to talks and events, it is the organisers themselves. to be honest unless i cant avoid it i dont work with people who are not reliable, where i lived in sheffield i knew all the reliable da'ees and everyone else i just left to do their own thing.
Reliable in what way?

lack of good english speakers for da'wah events also really gets on my nerves, if the sheikh doesnt know english too well then he is no good for speaking to non muslims, simple
JazakAllah khair

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.