can someone find me the recipe that contains these ingredients

shrimp
noodles
chives or scallions
ginger
sesame oil
soy sauce
mushrooms

I searched all over google for a recipe I had a while back (containing above), and can't find it, the ones I found were too creative for my basic skills

Jazakoum Allah khyran

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
YusufNoor
04-02-2009, 04:40 PM
:sl:

try searching for a "soy shrimp" recipe or "soy-ginger shrimp", there are lots of them.

or you could just:

cook the shrooms, shrimp, ginger, and scallions in the sesame oil and finish with soy.

toss with cooked noodles.

if you wanted to, you could marinate the shrimp with the soy and sesame oil 1st.

then put ginger in hot oil with the green onions. then add shrimp mixture. cook, but don't overcook. toss with cooked noodles [add sesame seeds on top]

it's just cooking. it's not Rocket Scientry [to quote Emeril!]

جوري
04-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Jazaka Allah khyran.. I have already found and cooked the recipe...

Shrimp Lo Mein

In Chinese, Favorite Recipes, Pasta, Recipes, Shrimp, Vegetables on December 7, 2006 at 8:30 am

This is one of my absolute favorite recipes. I originally got it from Cooking Light magazine, but have altered it to suit my tastes. The original recipe is here, but this is the way I make it. I use sesame oil instead of peanut because the flavor is so good. And I have a heavier hand with the soy sauce, I use way more than the recipe calls for. But I usually use the low-sodium kind. And sometimes I switch it up and use chicken, steak, and different vegetables. It’s very versatile.
1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
16 oz large shrimp, peeled, deveined
16 ounces spaghetti noodles, cooked
1 1/2 tablespoons dark toasted sesame oil, divided
3 cups thinly vertically sliced onion
5 cups broccoli florets (about 1 pound)
8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
Sesame seeds to taste (optional)
Combine the soy sauce and shrimp; cover and refrigerate 30 minutes. Drain through a sieve over a bowl, reserving soy sauce. Prepare noodles according to package directions, omitting the salt and fat. Drain and rinse; drain well. Toss noodles with 1 teaspoon peanut oil. Set aside.Heat 2 teaspoons sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; stir-fry 3 minutes. Add broccoli and mushrooms; stir-fry 3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove vegetable mixture from pan.Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil in pan. Add shrimp, and stir-fry 1 minute. Add the reserved soy sauce, broth, and salt, and bring to a boil. Add noodles, vegetable mixture, and sesame seeds, and toss well to combine

YusufNoor
04-03-2009, 02:05 AM

you're using halal chicken broth, right?

with the broccoli, what i like to do to keep it bright green is:

[find the perfect pot and] boil water and blanch the broccoli real quick. then cool with ice cold water. using that same perfect pot, immerse the cooked broccoli in boiling water[at the last minute] just to heat it up, drain [or scoop out with strainer] and add.

you can do the same with the pasta. it will take a shorter time to heat everything up at the end.

miz en plac [as they say]

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
04-03-2009, 04:26 PM
lhmmn hadn't thought of the Halal chicken broth bit? it seems like there is nothing remotely close to resembling a chick in that broth lol.. We have those Knorr cubes dissolved in water they make 'chicken broth'

you should really start the ask the chef section..

the other day I attempted french onion soup) I must first confess I haven't cooked a thing in my life, but my mom has decided to take a solo vacation (she did leave) various foods in the freezer and as it appears my nieces and nephews devoured in one go...but I do digress (I put grape juice) in lieu of Sherry and it just ruined it, plus I couldn't find the so-called guyert cheese so I used smoked gouda and that was equally disgusting.. the sad thing is it took me an entire day to make that french onion soup, I'll no longer complain of its price when I eat it in a fine resturant where they actually have a five hour go at it.. the deglazing process was so irritating and so time consuming for someone who detests food odors and really hates to cook :hmm:

Thank you btw.. Jazaka Allah khyran

YusufNoor
04-03-2009, 07:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
lhmmn hadn't thought of the Halal chicken broth bit? it seems like there is nothing remotely close to resembling a chick in that broth lol.. We have those Knorr cubes dissolved in water they make 'chicken broth'

i've used norr swiss ALOT in my past life! haven't seen it halaal though. my wife USED TO USE Maggi "chicken stock" in EVERYTHING! her whole family does. it IS Halaal, but i'm not sure they use chicken! i got the box to spell it right and i looked at the "contents", salt, hydrogenated palm oil, MSG..."natural flavor"...and sodium nitrate! so i guess if you want to pickle yourself, you can do it with these! i have finally convinced my wife not to use them!

you should really start the ask the chef section..

the other day I attempted french onion soup) I must first confess I haven't cooked a thing in my life, but my mom has decided to take a solo vacation (she did leave) various foods in the freezer and as it appears my nieces and nephews devoured in one go...but I do digress (I put grape juice) in lieu of Sherry and it just ruined it, plus I couldn't find the so-called guyert cheese so I used smoked gouda and that was equally disgusting.. the sad thing is it took me an entire day to make that french onion soup, I'll no longer complain of its price when I eat it in a fine resturant where they actually have a five hour go at it.. the deglazing process was so irritating and so time consuming for someone who detests food odors and really hates to cook :hmm:

Thank you btw.. Jazaka Allah khyran

why something as hard as onion soup, we stick with KISS: keep it simple silly[actually it's stupid, but that sounds not very correct]

you could have used swiss cheese. liquid, hmmm, martinellis has some mixed flavors, MAYBE apple cranberry [or even just apple]would work. you could have just left it predominantly onion flavored and skipped the addition.

if you used "mixes" like norr swiss, they can be VERY high in sodium. use less and you won't have to "camouflage" the taste of it.

you could skip the broth in your shrimp recipe EASILY![or blanch your shrimp real quick, but use that water to cook everything. i do that with chowder.]

جوري
04-03-2009, 07:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor

why something as hard as onion soup, we stick with KISS: keep it simple silly[actually it's stupid, but that sounds not very correct]

you could have used swiss cheese. liquid, hmmm, martinellis has some mixed flavors, MAYBE apple cranberry [or even just apple]would work. you could have just left it predominantly onion flavored and skipped the addition.

if you used "mixes" like norr swiss, they can be VERY high in sodium. use less and you won't have to "camouflage" the taste of it.

you could skip the broth in your shrimp recipe EASILY![or blanch your shrimp real quick, but use that water to cook everything. i do that with chowder.]

oh yes I am quite familiar with maggie .. You must understand that I don't cook and don't have a creative bone in my body when it comes to cooking, I approach it like I did Organic chemistry which btw was my least favorite subject of all times by strictly following directions so I am in a bind when I have to skip or change an ingredient!...

Now when you say 'blanching' what does that mean? To me it is a medical term denoting amongst other things lack of vasculature or blood supply to skin, such as can be seen with Raynaud’s phenomenon.. I truly have no idea how that applies to food? so pls advise

YusufNoor
04-03-2009, 11:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
oh yes I am quite familiar with maggie .. You must understand that I don't cook and don't have a creative bone in my body when it comes to cooking, I approach it like I did Organic chemistry which btw was my least favorite subject of all times by strictly following directions so I am in a bind when I have to skip or change an ingredient!...

baking is very similar to chemistry, it's all formulas!

Now when you say 'blanching' what does that mean? To me it is a medical term denoting amongst other things lack of vasculature or blood supply to skin, such as can be seen with Raynaud’s phenomenon.. I truly have no idea how that applies to food? so pls advise

let's say you want to make Chicken & Broccoli with Noodles, very similar to your shrimp lo mein. and let's say you want to "entertain" at the same time or maybe make it for breaking fast.

you can cook your noodles and Broccoli ahead of time. for veggies, you "blanch" them by plunging them into rapidly boiling water and taking them out just before they are cooked. then drain and put them into a nice little bowl [or such] of ice water. it stops the cooking process and keeps green veggie green.

same with the noodles.

when you go to cook later, put on an extra pot of boiling water. when you need to add the broccoli, use a sieve or something to put it in the boiling water to heat it up.

by doing this, you have now cut your cooking time down to the time it takes to Saute [pan fry] everything else.

we call it "mis en plac[e]' which figuratively is everything in it's place [and a place for everything]. you see the chefs on TV who have all of their items ready in little dishes and if something takes a while to cook, it's already done.

i do it during Ramadhan. that way there as soon as we pray Maghrib, i can cook ["finish" really] dinner in about 10 minutes.

make sense?

جوري
04-04-2009, 01:23 AM
You bet.. Thank you..
I know in Prague cooking school is almost as long as Medical school ain't that something?

:smile:

Khayal
04-04-2009, 04:23 AM
:sl:beloved ukhty

This dish seems to be very yummmyyyy, thanks for the recipe, I'll try it for sure, ( don't kno when though) and will share here.

jazakAllaah khayr.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.