/* */

PDA

View Full Version : LI Writing Contest II

Re.TiReD
04-02-2009, 04:27 PM
AssalamuAlaykum Warahmatullah

A sister suggested we have another, yay or nay?

:popcorn:

WassalamuAlaykum Warahmatullah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ali.
04-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Er, why not.. depends how many people want to participate this time.

Who would participate?

Al-Zaara
04-02-2009, 04:33 PM
I would, inshaAllah. ^ Maybe have a poll?

Ali.
04-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Sounds good.. PM Alp-

Er, I think we'd have to wait for a mod' to come on.. which could be a while. Off to your PMing, Inaayah. :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
04-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Oh ok.

A poll Al-Zaara, for the voting or to ask who wants another contest?

Al-Zaara
04-02-2009, 04:47 PM
To ask?

InshaAllah, PM brother Güven?

Na7lah
04-02-2009, 04:50 PM
A sister suggested we have another, yay or nay?
yay, but i'll sit back on this one

Re.TiReD
04-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Oki doke. I'm not sure we need mod permission, I'll probably run it by Sajid and see if he can sort a prize but other than that if the majority agrees I'd say we should go for it. I guess I could still ask though.

Ditto to that M421 =D

Na7lah
04-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Oki doke. I'm not sure we need mod permission, I'll probably run it by Sajid and see if he can sort a prize but other than that if the majority agrees I'd say we should go for it. I guess I could still ask though.
i think she meant make a poll asking who's intrested in entering..

Güven
04-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Good Idea , I'll sit back on this one too :D

and about the polls , only Blue and Red ones can add them.

Re.TiReD
04-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Well since Alpha converted astaghfirullah...I guess I'll wait for Muezzin or sum1.

But seem to be yay's so far =P

IbnAbdulHakim
04-02-2009, 05:55 PM
i didnt participate last time

and i got tons of free time now so

yeh i'll go for it

need a grammarian tho, gnna have to employ zAk

assalamu alaikum

Muezzin
04-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I'm up for it.

Is there any feedback from the previous contest that we might want to act upon in this one? Someone suggested different age brackets etc.

Added a poll. If it's asking completely the wrong question, do tell me so I can edit the options accordingly.

Silver Pearl
04-02-2009, 07:44 PM
:wasalamex

One of the things that lacked in a number of entries was description, it wasn't vivid enough, there was no sense of presence.

You want your story to have 2 main selling points:

Plotline

Language

Generally all the stories were creative but it was executed poorly. For those who do wish to enter, description is definately the way forward. You want your readers to be completely absorbed...

Just my 2 cent.

I hope you all do well Inshaa'Allaah!

Perhaps a rigid criteria would help?

Ali.
04-02-2009, 07:59 PM
^ There was a word limit last time though, wasn't there?

Muezzin
04-02-2009, 09:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Silver Pearl

One of the things that lacked in a number of entries was description, it wasn't vivid enough, there was no sense of presence.

You want your story to have 2 main selling points:

Plotline

Language

Generally all the stories were creative but it was exucted poorly. For those who do wish to enter, description is definately the way forward. You want your readers to be completely absorbed...

Just my 2 cent.

I hope you all do well Inshaa'Allaah!

Perhaps a rigid criteria would help?
A nice, big word limit of 3 or 4k would really help to improve those areas...

Yanal
04-03-2009, 01:32 AM
I lost last writing contest so I'm not up for one
Right now, sorry if any of you were expecting my excellent intense creativity for writing,on second thought I'll think about it..

Ummu Sufyaan
04-03-2009, 06:35 AM
:sl:
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
A nice, big word limit of 3 or 4k would really help to improve those areas...
agreed!

aamirsaab
04-03-2009, 10:10 AM
I am considering entering.

(there's no option for that on the polls right now, so I'm abstaining from the vote. But, I would like another contest)

SouljahOfAllah
04-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Wouldnt mind participatin :D

saba muslimah
04-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Yeah... sisters I would try to take part in contest... But How would i???
Is There any rules OR the way of taking part in Contest??

Muezzin
04-03-2009, 10:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
I am considering entering.

(there's no option for that on the polls right now, so I'm abstaining from the vote. But, I would like another contest)
Did you add the absolutely redundant poll option of 'I don't care if there is a contest or not'? :p

aamirsaab
04-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Did you add the absolutely redundant poll option of 'I don't care if there is a contest or not'? :p
No, that was my pet monkey.

Re.TiReD
04-03-2009, 10:28 AM
I think if we're to increase the word count then we should set a theme also. I have a reason as to why I think that but at the moment by brain isnt working well enough for me to say so rationally.

Ummu Sufyaan
04-03-2009, 11:52 AM
nooo, don't do that, my plans would be ruined imsad :P

ok set a theme then...but i dont think you really need to...i mean the words would just mean that you know how to articulate your story well, no?... and no im not just saying that cos im "anti-theme" :p

Re.TiReD
04-03-2009, 11:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
nooo, don't do that, my plans would be ruined imsad :P

ok set a theme then...but i dont think you really need to...i mean the words would just mean that you know how to articulate your story well, no?... and no im not just saying that cos im "anti-theme" :p
Wa'alaykum As-Salaam

Lol hey it was just an idea, if you dont want one then we dont have to :p

Yeah you're right, I just thought it'd make for easier judging. You can have 10 fabalicious entries but all themed around different things. It could take forever deciding because the content could be amazing. But if you had a theme, it'd be a test for the author aswell and we could see how far your skills extend to working with a set idea/theme. Also....judging would be easier.

It's like picking the best apple from a bunch of apples. Rather than picking the best fruit out of a bunch of grapes, oranges and banana's. You might like them all.

Ummu Sufyaan
04-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Lol hey it was just an idea, if you dont want one then we dont have to
lol this doesnt revolve around me...maybe we should do a poll then? yah? no?

Re.TiReD
04-03-2009, 12:03 PM

lol this doesnt revolve around me...maybe we should do a poll then? yah? no?
Wa'alaykum as-Salaam

Yeh we could do a poll.

but after witnessing the perfect execution of a contest on ummah forum, I really think somebody should make a thread, state the word count, theme and deadline and if people like it then enter, and if not dont. (This isnt directed at you btw sis) but the dilly-dallying is kinda annoying.

To keep it simple, here is what I think.

1) No fixed theme
2) Max wordcount 4,000....I think we should allow for a little above .. i.e. not to rigid with that rule.
3) Deadline - After easter hols? 25th April?

Ummu Sufyaan
04-03-2009, 12:07 PM
yah im in :D

btw how is the judging gna take place?

like last time, or :?

Re.TiReD
04-03-2009, 12:09 PM
yah im in :D

btw how is the judging gna take place?

like last time, or :?
:w:

With as less hassle as poss I think. A poll insha'Allah.

Allow the poll, 5 days max for voting and then thats it, wrap it up, announce the winner and give the prize. Tres Simple :D

Musaafirah
04-03-2009, 12:18 PM
What kind of theme will you be aiming for this time?
Word limit seems better now.
Is it ok to do a shortish one all the same?

Ummu Sufyaan
04-03-2009, 12:20 PM
With as less hassle as poss I think. A poll insha'Allah.

Allow the poll, 5 days max for voting and then thats it, wrap it up, announce the winner and give the prize. Tres Simple

yeps, sounds good...i hated all that waiting b4 :nervous:

maybe make the date about say past April? i mean isn't it a lil short or is that when people have their holidays and that?

oh the poll would be anon...i mean for the contestants right?

Re.TiReD
04-03-2009, 12:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafirah
What kind of theme will you be aiming for this time?
Word limit seems better now.
Is it ok to do a shortish one all the same?
No theme :D

Of course it is sis, just that the ones who write a longer entry will be able to include more and it'll have more substance and might just be better :p

yeps, sounds good...i hated all that waiting b4 :nervous:

maybe make the date about say past April? i mean isn't it a lil short or is that when people have their holidays and that?

oh the poll would be anon...i mean for the contestants right?

Yup we could extend it insha'Allah

Hmm? The poll would be public so others can see who voted for what

Ali.
04-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Having a theme might 'limit creativity'.. I say have no theme.

Muezzin
04-03-2009, 03:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Inaayah
Hmm? The poll would be public so others can see who voted for what
Will the entries still be anonymous, though?

I ask because some people still voted for their own entries last time. Nobody can really stop others cheating, but there should be a penalty.

If someone votes for their own entry, either:

-That entry is disqualified

OR

-One vote is deducted from that entry's results.

Al-Zaara
04-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Disqualified. Some really try hard and play according to all rules, if one cheats and gets away with it with 'only' one point or two, it ain't going to help the morality of the contest.

But, accidents/mistakes happen. Maybe someone rushes and votes for one's own entry? That's why I think one warning only may be given, before disqualifying.

Muezzin
04-03-2009, 04:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Disqualified. Some really try hard and play according to all rules, if one cheats and gets away with it with 'only' one point or two, it ain't going to help the morality of the contest.

But, accidents/mistakes happen. Maybe someone rushes and votes for one's own entry? That's why I think one warning only may be given, before disqualifying.
Maybe, if it was a genuine mistake, one vote (that is, their own vote) could just be deducted.

But then you get into really ugly stuff when you try to discern who made a genuine mistake and who is just lying to get away with cheating...

People should take their time and vote for whichever entry they most want to win. Last time, either in this contest or the poetry contest, some people wanted to change their votes, which is not really workable technically (i.e. even zAk doesn't know how to do it).

This is also a potential disadvantage of going down the disqualification route - any members who have legitimately voted for an entry that is subsequently disqualified cannot then change their vote to choose one of the remaining entries. But on the other hand, that might work favourably, I suppose. Any potential cheaters might have second thoughts about causing so much havoc.

Na7lah
04-03-2009, 04:07 PM
will there be judges? or just the poll? i think the poll is better because it won't take as long, and you'll have everyone's opinion/input

Cabdullahi
04-03-2009, 05:00 PM
the most boring competition...therefore im out

Re.TiReD
04-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Muezzin, I say the entries be PM'ed to Woodrow. Only he knows which entry belongs to whom. When the poll is made, he will keep an eye on it since the poll will be public, and he'll know as soon as somebody votes their own entry. And we'll warn participants beforehand.

Does that sound ok?

Muezzin
04-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Well, we still need to decide on what the penalty is for deliberately voting for your own entry, but otherwise - yep, that should be okay.

Re.TiReD
04-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Well, we still need to decide on what the penalty is for deliberately voting for your own entry, but otherwise - yep, that should be okay.
If that rule is in the opening post I doubt anybody will do it. But we've had people doing that too and we've also had plagiarism. If any of the aforementioned occur then they get the boot. Or the chappal. Completely up to them. Meaning they'll be disqualified.

If thats ok then we need a deadline?

Musaafirah
04-03-2009, 07:45 PM
You're kidding about people voting for their own ones, right?
So, who's gonna be the judges this time?
Have the official criteria been set?

Re.TiReD
04-03-2009, 07:47 PM
You're kidding about people voting for their own ones, right?
So, who's gonna be the judges this time?
Have the official criteria been set?
Hey cham-cham (:p)

Teh poll will be teh judge.

Max 3,000 words.

yeah am serious, you cannae vote your own.

Musaafirah
04-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Gajar ka halwa actually (:p)
So, the poll shall be the vote, an admin such as Woodrow will moderate the polls to make sure there's no hanky panky right?
Will it not be a public poll then?
Procrastination, here we go!

Re.TiReD
04-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Gajar ka halwa actually (:p)
So, the poll shall be the vote, an admin such as Woodrow will moderate the polls to make sure there's no hanky panky right?
Will it not be a public poll then?
Procrastination, here we go!
It will be a public vote....But woodrow will also keep an eye out.

hey you can only enter if you got ur disso done and bound and ur poster thingy out the way too :p

Musaafirah
04-03-2009, 07:55 PM
That's all done.
Now it's poster and revision for exams in 5 weeks. (poster due in 3)
I have aaaaaaaaaages left! :D
So no theme right?
Oh ya.

Re.TiReD
04-03-2009, 07:57 PM
That's all done.
Now it's poster and revision for exams in 5 weeks. (poster due in 3)
I have aaaaaaaaaages left! :D
So no theme right?
Oh ya.
Nahiiii sissss! This will clash...it's due in the 4th week, so right after ur poster and b4 ur exams..if you wanna enter I expect ur entry in a week - max :D.

No theme. Write ur heart out :popcorn:

Muezzin
04-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Max 3,000 words.
Wait a second...

Wa'alaykum as-Salaam

Yeh we could do a poll.

but after witnessing the perfect execution of a contest on ummah forum, I really think somebody should make a thread, state the word count, theme and deadline and if people like it then enter, and if not dont. (This isnt directed at you btw sis) but the dilly-dallying is kinda annoying.

To keep it simple, here is what I think.

1) No fixed theme
2) Max wordcount 4,000....I think we should allow for a little above .. i.e. not to rigid with that rule.
3) Deadline - After easter hols? 25th April?

Re.TiReD
04-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Wait a second...
Thanks bro

I havnt been fed or watered since then. My brain isnt functioning too well. I'll leave it to you. 3k sounds ok I guess.

The Ruler
04-03-2009, 08:36 PM
No, there should not be another contest
It's the exam season (not that I plan to participate).

Muezzin
04-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Thanks bro

I havnt been fed or watered since then. My brain isnt functioning too well. I'll leave it to you. 3k sounds ok I guess.
Would asking for 4k be...churlish? :)

format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
It's the exam season (not that I plan to participate).
That shouldn't be a problem. Just set the contest deadline after the exam period has ended.

Then everyone has absolutely ages to get on with their entries, in addition to loads of words to play with because of a huge word limit.

Just a suggestion aka wishful thinking.

chacha_jalebi
04-04-2009, 12:31 AM
whats the deadline, hopefully its after this month (:D come on judges you dont wana get in my bad books :p) . . .

and like any particular theme the story has to be about, i think there should be a particular theme or concept, because then you can compare the stories better, or even better let everyone just go wild and write about anythin!

Al-Zaara
04-05-2009, 04:20 AM
Maybe, if it was a genuine mistake, one vote (that is, their own vote) could just be deducted.

But then you get into really ugly stuff when you try to discern who made a genuine mistake and who is just lying to get away with cheating...

People should take their time and vote for whichever entry they most want to win. Last time, either in this contest or the poetry contest, some people wanted to change their votes, which is not really workable technically (i.e. even zAk doesn't know how to do it).

This is also a potential disadvantage of going down the disqualification route - any members who have legitimately voted for an entry that is subsequently disqualified cannot then change their vote to choose one of the remaining entries. But on the other hand, that might work favourably, I suppose. Any potential cheaters might have second thoughts about causing so much havoc.
Agreed only if the members will get this clear, meaning make it clear on the first page of the competition. Then if something happens, they get disqualified without further questions.

And rather have 4000 words limit. I don't believe a theme is needed. You can check someone's creativity & language even without having other pieces of similiar work to compare.

SouljahOfAllah
04-05-2009, 12:57 PM
so is the contest taking place or...?

Yanal
04-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Remember last contests poll? If we are to have judges choose the regular active members like Guven.

Re.TiReD
04-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Ok so all we need is a deadline now.

Bro I do remem the last poll. We're still having one though, because nobody will dare break the rules, insha'Allah.

Yanal
04-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Deadline= perhaps April 21?

Na7lah
04-05-2009, 09:58 PM
May 1?

Re.TiReD
04-05-2009, 09:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Na7lah
May 1?
I dont know you :><:

Sounds ok I guess but lets see what those with exams etc have to say

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Can I finalise a date please do that I can make it official? I quite like May 8th but April 21st seems appealing also. It gives 2 weeks to write. I'm aware of the fact that I'd not entering though so it doesnt affect me, which is why I want the opinion of the 10 who said they'd take part :)

Al-Zaara
04-06-2009, 12:06 PM
May 8th.

Yanal
04-06-2009, 02:28 PM
^thats too late for a story with no minimum words so...April 21 is good for me.

Al-Zaara
04-06-2009, 02:36 PM
^ Too late you say? What's the rush?

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 02:38 PM
I understand where you're coming from - both of you.

Yanal I agree with because in the past we've had far tooo much time to enter and the processes after that and inbetween. Was rather tiring and tooo long to deal with :uuh:

And Al-Zaara, I know ppl want longer to work on their masterpieces...so...Hmm I'll sit this one out until somebody else gives an opinion.

Yanal
04-06-2009, 02:45 PM
If it's too long something in the world is going to stop it from happening such as the comedy contest,we set dates far apart and this is what happened the contest got closed. PS I can't reply after this because I'm going to SKOOL!(I know it's spelled wrong leave it)

Silver Pearl
04-07-2009, 02:14 PM

I think a set marking criteria would be good. Members can choose their favourite stories and the top 3 candidates can be marked using the criteria?

How about having Contest II [part 1 and 2] and there can be two deadlines and if you enter the first you can't enter the second, vice versa? You can either have 2 winners or the 2 winners can battle it out?

Yanal
04-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Interesting but who are the judges? I would like to write my story for this contest , even though I have my French due and haven't finished it <_<.

Silver Pearl
04-07-2009, 02:27 PM

I don't know if there will be any judges, I just assumed there would be.

Ah, French, those were the blissful days :statisfie. Learn your verb tables and Inshaa'Allaah you'll be fine.

Musaafirah
04-07-2009, 02:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Interesting but who are the judges? I would like to write my story for this contest , even though I have my French due and haven't finished it <_<.
Thought it was no judges, there's to be a poll and set criteria for choosing the story. It'll be moderated by an admin hopefully.
Who's in charge of making the thread though?
Will that also be the duty of the admin?

Na7lah
04-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Edit

Cabdullahi
04-07-2009, 02:33 PM
plz guys can we have a poetry compo plz..............i cant wait!:(

Yanal
04-08-2009, 01:07 AM
What will I get to start the thread? Obviously I am not an admin<_<.

Re.TiReD
04-08-2009, 01:54 AM
No judges insha'Allah

Yanal u shud PM muezzin, get the go-ahead from him and then make the thread insha'Allah

Yanal
04-08-2009, 02:20 PM
InshAllah I will do so right now hope he replies.

Yanal
04-09-2009, 11:29 PM
He has not replied.

Muezzin
04-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Hang about. What thread do you want to create?

The one that will house all the entries?

If so, has the deadline and word count been finalised?

Yanal
04-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Yes,the deadline is going to be during April 21-may 8 but users have to vote for the deadline and word count would be 400 maximum.

Na7lah
04-10-2009, 05:11 PM
400?? i thought it was going to be in the thousands?

Yanal
04-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Typo sorry it is suppose to be 4000,so is it confirmed as I need to know as soon as possible because I have to open the thread,make an opening speech and type my own story. Confirm the details for me :4000 words maximum,April 25 deadline?

Muezzin
04-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Yanal,

Why not just get started on your story?

If possible, I think someone who does not intend to enter the contest should be in charge of organising* it this time. Last time there was a little bit of controversy involving a conflict of interest, which could be easily avoided now.

*opening the threads, co-ordinating the entries etc

(if everyone else disagrees with me and thinks I'm a nutter, however, might as well just make the thread)

Yanal
04-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Ok,but we need an organizer then,who can it be?

Al-Zaara
04-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Whoever has time and is willing to help us out.

Deadline should be in May.

Na7lah
04-11-2009, 06:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Ok,but we need an organizer then,who can it be?
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Whoever has time and is willing to help us out.

Deadline should be in May.
me? :)

Musaafirah
04-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Aww bless you cool with that?
I've currently written the beginning and end.
Now I need a middle, but have been too busy. Rah.

Re.TiReD
04-13-2009, 07:14 PM

So Muslimah you will make the thread sa7? With the new official rules and the deadline? Or will you edit the opening post of this one or something?

Na7lah
04-13-2009, 11:40 PM
I'll make the thread as soon as everyone agrees on the deadline

Na7lah
04-16-2009, 06:30 PM
bump

Re.TiReD
04-16-2009, 11:15 PM
The deadline is 1st May.

Take it, leave it or argue it insha'Allah.

If nobody replies within 24 hours it'll be set in stone insha'Allah (or maybe not, but it sounds good rather than waiting milleniums)

Muezzin
04-17-2009, 05:53 PM
I personally should be okay with that deadline (but I'll have to get a move on and finish the blasted thing already).

Some members have exams coming up though...

Musaafirah
04-17-2009, 05:55 PM
My exams be on the 12th May and finish on 18th May. Don't think I'll be able to meet the deadline.
Oh well. The story's probably just gonna stay as a beginning and end. I really can't seem to structure my middle. Rah.

Na7lah
04-17-2009, 05:58 PM
ya Inaayah i think May 1 is a bit too early :X

Muezzin
04-17-2009, 06:01 PM
My exams be on the 12th May and finish on 18th May. Don't think I'll be able to meet the deadline.
Oh well. The story's probably just gonna stay as a beginning and end. I really can't seem to structure my middle. Rah.
I love middles. To me, the second act of a three act work is the most fun to write and read, because it's The Disaster, everything metaphorically goes to hell, and there's boatloads of suspense.

It's endings that frequently trip me up. To me, the act of resolving literary chaos is trickier and more boring than causing it.

Musaafirah
04-17-2009, 06:08 PM
I love middles. To me, the second act of a three act work is the most fun to write and read, because it's The Disaster, everything metaphorically goes to hell, and there's boatloads of suspense.

See, I've got loads of possible things to put in the middle, but am stuggling with fixing the structure and my ****ed poster's taking up all my time, as well as the prospect of revision...
This is probably the only story where I've already sorted the beginning and end. I can't seem to find my notebook of stories I had. Oh well.

It's endings that frequently trip me up. To me, the act of resolving literary chaos is trickier and more boring than causing it.
Agreed. Only if the story in general is awesome, afterwhich, finding an awesome ending is blinkin difficult.

Ummu Sufyaan
04-24-2009, 06:26 AM
so whens the deadline?

i thought you was taking over umm ul-shaheed :p (sheesh it feels weird talking to yourself :-[ :p)

Re.TiReD
05-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Everybody lost interest?

Ummu Sufyaan
05-05-2009, 08:58 AM
lol hope not...
besides they cant have :D : http://www.islamicboard.com/creative...l-details.html

piXie
05-05-2009, 01:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hafsah
Everybody lost interest?
I've lost my ability to write stories. I know I said I'd enter, sorry. :-[

Re.TiReD
05-05-2009, 01:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by piXie
I've lost my ability to write stories. I know I said I'd enter, sorry. :-[
U replied in my thread *faints* :statisfie I'm so happy pix that I can forgive you for not entering :statisfie *sigh* oh how I love thee

Now go write a story <_< :p

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.