/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Qiblah bracelet

جوري
04-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Does anyone know if there is such a thing? if I can purchase an item like this

http://www.thingsremembered.com/weba...&ci_sku=599773

but in lieu of a regular compass a qiblah compass..
or a digital one, that isn't a part of a watch or phone.. that can either be worn or put in a key chain?

Jazkoum Allah khyran

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zahida
04-03-2009, 08:45 PM
:sl:Wow never seen onof those before...........can you not order it online???

(Maybe Alpha Dudette could find out for you as he is going for Umrah tomorrow............if you ask nicely ....... just a thought but i have not seen them here in the UK.)

:w::smile:

Soulja Girl
04-03-2009, 08:46 PM
:sl:

That looks kewl. :coolious:

Wouldn't mind one of those!

جوري
04-03-2009, 08:51 PM
I can order the above on line but it is just a compass not a qiblah.. I want a qiblah bracelet not a compass bracelet.. if you are interested in the above I believe it is on sale for half off...

can you tell the qiblah from a regular compass?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Soulja Girl
04-03-2009, 08:52 PM
:sl:

^I'm sure you can? :><:

جوري
04-03-2009, 08:54 PM
tell me how pls... I am very clumsy with those booklets..
of I can do it from a compass then I'll just purchase the above.. I mean I can make a compass out of water, leaves and a small needle but I am not sure how precise that would be..

Azy
04-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Probably wouldn't stay on your key chain either.

Na7lah
04-03-2009, 09:04 PM
just find wich direction the kabah is from where you live, like if its NE just find NE on the compass and face that way

Azy
04-03-2009, 09:17 PM
If you want to be accurate then a magnetic compass probably isn't the best way to go since magnetic north isn't the same as geographical north.

Güven
04-03-2009, 09:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah421
just find wich direction the kabah is from where you live, like if its NE just find NE on the compass and face that way
easier said than done :exhausted

Azy
04-03-2009, 09:20 PM
http://www.qiblalocator.com/
But you're still going to have to make an adjustment to correct for magnetic north.

Interesting puzzle

جوري
04-03-2009, 09:37 PM
^^ Thanks, but I'd like something on my person in case I have to 'rough it' sans the technology....

all the best

Azy
04-03-2009, 09:47 PM
You're probably going to have to approximate.
I doubt you can use the sun method because it relies on you being able to view it at specific times. Any other method is going to rely on you knowing exactly where you are and calculating a geodesic to the Kabbah but then you have the magnetic north discrepancy.

I've not had any experience of doing it but the best I can think of is work it out before you go wherever it is you're going.

جوري
04-03-2009, 11:01 PM
approximate is good..

Azy
04-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Well I'm not sure I can tell you anything you don't know. If you're going without technology and you want something small enough for a key chain then it's going to have to be a regular compass and a good guess.
New York is ~NE and Seattle ~NNE, adjust for how far west you are and make it a touch more easterly if you're in a more southerly state.

If you're going abroad I suppose the best thing is to ask a local. Even if you can approximate where you are based on the time and the elevation of the sun/stars, working out the path is probably too much of a headache with a calculator. If you're not in the americas though it's not particularly difficult to make a reasonable guess as it's pretty central to afro-eurasia.

جوري
04-06-2009, 02:08 AM
after days of searching I found what I am looking for

http://www.qiblasat.com/

(see vid) but the price is steep, I paid less for the actual GPS that is in my pathfinder...

back to the drawing board :hmm:

Azy
04-06-2009, 12:28 PM
I was thinking gps was probably the only way to go unless you want to carry a sextant ;)
Are you not going to be taking a cellphone with you?

I'm actually quite surprised that noone makes (at least I can't find one) a cheap keyring sized gps with a basic display for coordinates, which would be quite useful for hiking/camping.

smile
04-06-2009, 03:10 PM
wwow it really looks so cool

جوري
04-06-2009, 04:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Azy
I was thinking gps was probably the only way to go unless you want to carry a sextant ;)
Are you not going to be taking a cellphone with you?

I'm actually quite surprised that noone makes (at least I can't find one) a cheap keyring sized gps with a basic display for coordinates, which would be quite useful for hiking/camping.

I have one on my keychain but it comes with a booklet.. for as long as I have had it, I don't recall ever using it.. instead I have always had the good fortune to travel with someone who wears one of those watches that does all the work.. Problem is I love my watch too much to give it up for one of those qiblah watches, in fact one would have to cut off my hand to get my current watch off, I sleep, bathe, snorkel and dive with it (well no diving) but I float with it :lol:

So I'll have to actually consider one of those GPS ones but honestly if it does just one thing the price shouldn't be so steep!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.