/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to seek knowledge without parents’ permission

Ummu Sufyaan
04-04-2009, 08:53 AM
:sl:
Travelling to seek knowledge without parents’ permission
Do I have the right to leave to another country to seek knowledge of the Deen without their permission? What if they refuse to allow me? I read that Imaam Ahmad did not see anything wrong with that.

Praise be to Allaah.
Seeking knowledge, if this knowledge is something obligatory, is not dependent on having parents’ permission, but if it is supererogatory knowledge then it is essential to have their permission.

Muslim (2549) narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Amr ibn al-‘Aas said: A man came to the Prophet of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: “I give you my oath of allegiance, promising to migrate and fight in jihad, seeking the reward of Allaah.” He said, “Are either of your parents alive?” He said, “Yes, both of them.” He said, “And do you want to seek the reward of Allaah?” He said, “Yes.” He said, “Then go back to your parents, and keep good company with them.”

Seeking knowledge is one of the kinds of jihad. It is not permissible to pursue supererogatory kinds of knowledge which dictates travelling and leaving them, without their permission.

Ibn Muflih said in al-Adaab al-Shar’iyyah (2/35-36):

With regard to the one who goes out seeking knowledge, he must go out with the permission of his parents, because the virtue of supererogatory actions cannot be sought without the permission of one's parents.

Al-Marwadhi said to Abu ‘Abd-Allaah (i.e., Imam Ahmad): What do you think of a man who is seeking knowledge and he asks his mother for permission, and she gives him permission, even though he knows that she would prefer him to stay? He said, If he is ignorant and does not know ho to issue a shar’i divorce or how to pray, then I prefer him to seek knowledge, but if he knows that then I prefer him to stay with her.

Al-Khallaal narrated that a man asked him: I am seeking knowledge, but my mother does not want me to do that; she wants me to engage in business. He said to me, Do your best to please her, but do not stop seeking knowledge.

He said to him: I am a stranger in the land seeking knowledge. Is that better or should I go back to my mother? He said, If you are seeking knowledge that is essential then there is nothing wrong with that.

A man asked him: I have just arrived and I do not know anything, what do you command me to do? Abu ‘Abd-Allaah said to him: You have to seek knowledge.

Ishaaq ibn Ibraaheem said: I asked Abu ‘Abd-Allaah about a man who has two well off parents and wants to seek knowledge of hadeeth, and they do not give him permission. He said, He should seek as much knowledge as will benefit him, and there is nothing as good as knowledge.

It is clear from the above that what is meant by the words of Imam Ahmad is: If the knowledge is obligatory then parents’ permission is not essential, and if it is supererogatory then it is essential to have their permission.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ayan333
04-04-2009, 07:25 PM

JazakALLAH Khair.....

i have to say im heart broken but if its the will of ALLAH (SWA) then so be it

:w:

om Habiba
04-05-2009, 01:47 PM
u don't have to travel u may learn Arabic and Quraan online like me www.ibnmalek.com this is wonderfull site to finish memorizing Qur'an and learn Arabic and Tajweed just visit it and read the teachers are Egyptions and very stronge in knowledge pray 4 me and my family

ayan333
04-05-2009, 07:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by om Habiba
u don't have to travel u may learn Arabic and Quraan online like me www.ibnmalek.com this is wonderfull site to finish memorizing Qur'an and learn Arabic and Tajweed just visit it and read the teachers are Egyptions and very stronge in knowledge pray 4 me and my family

i already know the Qu'ran and im still in the process of memorizing so thats not why i want to go to Al-Azhar

i want to get a Degree in Islamic studies.i want it to be my career as well

but ok ill keep u in my Dua InshALLAH

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al-Layl
04-07-2009, 01:35 AM
jazaak`Allahu khayr..

noor iman
04-23-2009, 12:59 PM
peace be upon you
thank you for this great post dear sister na7lah,It seems that we are almost in the same situation my sister.
I want to ask a question
I study international relations and i'll soon get my Master inshallah, and as we know, this kind of studies are a knowledge seeking, but it is not as knowledge of Koran or religious studies, my parents are agree with me to travel for continue my study, but i want to know the opinion of my religion in this note.
when i travel alone for study, with parent's permission is it haram?
if anyone here know the answer of our religion please tell me.
sorry for mistakes
god blessing you
peace

Ummu Sufyaan
04-23-2009, 01:51 PM
thank you for this great post dear sister na7lah,It seems that we are almost in the same situation my sister.
lol barakallahu feeki, but it wasn't for me :)

as for your qn, try this

noor iman
04-23-2009, 02:02 PM
baraka allahou feeki also tister N7hlah i read the link it was useful for me
jazaki allah koul kheir

AbuSalahudeen
04-28-2009, 05:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ayan333

i already know the Qu'ran and im still in the process of memorizing so thats not why i want to go to Al-Azhar

i want to get a Degree in Islamic studies.i want it to be my career as well

but ok ill keep u in my Dua InshALLAH

Inshallah Allah will give you the ability to study abroad, but trust me you can do alot before you leave. Finish memorizing the whole Quran were ever you are first, and you can cover alot of ground interms of Arabic, if you don't know much arabic yet I would advise you to follow the Madinah University Arabic Books. I'm currently on Book 2 and am using the videos on www.lqtoronto.com, and I have to say after attending a few arabic classes around my community, the teacher in these videos is amazing.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.