/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Article: Overcoming Extreme Shyness

Ummu Sufyaan
04-04-2009, 09:22 AM
:sl:
Overcoming Extreme Shyness

Sheikh Sâlih al-Ghâmidî|

Extreme shyness affects a person's ability to interact with others and prevents him from participating effectively in society and making a positive contribution.

Such a shy person is in dire need of social skills and does not know how to conduct himself in a wide range of situations. He suffers from low self-esteem and fears the negative evaluation of others.

It is important for a person who is suffering from this debilitating condition to conquer it. In embarking upon this task, his first priority will be to properly understand what is causing him to feel this way. This affliction, in most cases, is reinforced by certain false ideas and beliefs that the sufferer has. He may always be thinking that other people are evaluating him negatively and derogating him. Typically, he is also a person who subjects himself to a considerable amount of undue and severe self-reproach.

However, this excessive shyness will not be the full portrayal of his character, but only one aspect of it. And if there is a negative aspect to his character, he will most certainly have many other qualities that are positive.

He will need to exert every effort to put a stop to the negative thinking that is holding him back and push all those false notions out of his mind. In their stead, he needs to come with positive thinking about himself and others.

He will need to muster up the courage to confront the challenges of society instead of avoiding them. Avoidance only makes matters worse. He should take on these challenges gradually, starting with situations that he finds the least frightening and preparing in advance something to say on these occasions, no matter how small. Things will be difficult at first, but persistence pays off, and soon he will see positive results. He needs to set realistic goals, remain flexible, and endeavor to reach his goals with confidence.

Islam is a comprehensive religion in which we can find solutions to all the difficulties and all of the disquiet from which an individual can suffer. Allah says: “And We reveal of the Qur'ân that which is a healing and a mercy for believers though it increase the evil-doers in naught save ruin.” [ Sûrah al-Isrâ' : 82]

Belief in Allah is the basis of personal self-confidence. It provides protection against all the problems and the sources of disquiet that can beset a person.

Islam calls upon the individual to be positive in his relationship both with himself and with others. It guides the believers to lofty moral standards that must be translated into many exemplary manners and modes of conduct. These, in turn, strengthen the social ties between people.

In the process of adopting such morals and attitudes, we as individuals develop the social skills that we need to perfect our conduct in our dealings with others and to become positively involved in society. This protects us from becoming introverted or withdrawn into ourselves.

Prayer is also very important. It is the connection between the worshipper and his Lord. It brings tranquility and contentment to the worshiper's heart, increases his self-confidence, and dispels his sense of sinfulness and the feelings of guilt, fear, and insecurity that it brings.

Reading the Qur'ân also brings contentment to the heart as well as strengthens character. It is a cure for the sicknesses of the heart, rectifying the negative, distorted images that a person may have of himself.

In reading the Qur'ân, one should concentrate on certain verses, like Sûrah al-Fâtihah , the last three verses of Sûrah al-Baqarah , Âyah al-Kursî , Sûrah al-Ikhlâs , Sûrah al-Falaq and Sûrah al-Nâs .

The excessively shy person must not forget to turn to Allah in sincere and earnest supplication, for it is a healing for people from their sorrows, their distress, their worries, and their disquiet. Supplications are the enemy of all afflictions and they are weapons that a believer wields against all misfortune.

The following are some of the supplications of our Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) for the alleviation of distress and worry:

“O Allah! I seek refuge with You from problems and tribulations, and I seek refuge with you from incapacity and laziness, and I seek refuge with You from cowardice and miserliness, and I seek refuge with you from being overcome by debt and from the compulsion of men.”

“O Allah! Grant my soul to be God-fearing; purify it, for You are the best one to purify it. Indeed, you are its guardian and master.”

“O Allah! I ask You for the well-being of this world and the Hereafter.”

“O Allah! Indeed, I ask You for pardon and for well-being in my religion, my worldly life, my family, and my wealth. Allah! Conceal my shame and safeguard my honor. O Allah! Protect me in what is before me and what is behind me and what is to my right and what is to my left and what is above me. And I seek your refuge from being afflicted from below.”

The preferred hours for supplication should be sought, like the last part of the night and during prostration in prayer.

We must always seek Allah's help to solve our problems and overcome our difficulties. We must be steadfast in asking Allah for forgiveness.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Whoever is constant in seeking Allah's forgiveness, Allah will prepare a way out for him from every difficulty and a release from every anxiety, and provide for him from whence he could never expect.” [ Sunan Abî Dâwûd ]

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mikayeel
04-07-2009, 06:31 PM
:w: sister

Interesting article! I will defo have a read through it since i think i suffer from extreme shyness

noorseeker
04-07-2009, 07:53 PM
I sufferer and still suffer to this day.

I dont know if its a blessing or not, I always ask my self why at 12 Allah swt snatched away my confidence, the thing is it has stopped me from from doing a vast array of sinning, e.g backbiting, dating, clubbing.

I wouldnt wish it on anybody, Maybe Allah swt thought i was strong enough to take it on,.

Cabdullahi
04-07-2009, 10:36 PM
if i wasnt shy i wouldve done many bad things alhamdulilah :(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Whatsthepoint
04-07-2009, 11:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
You don't seem shy at all hmm.

جوري
04-07-2009, 11:40 PM
I suffer extreme grouchiness

Intisar
04-08-2009, 02:59 AM
:sl: Cool!

I'm only shy in certain situations...:X

learningislam
04-08-2009, 06:39 AM
:salamext:

JazakiAllah khair sis. It was a very informative article.

“O Allah! Indeed, I ask You for pardon and for well-being in my religion, my worldly life, my family, and my wealth. Allah! Conceal my shame and safeguard my honor. O Allah! Protect me in what is before me and what is behind me and what is to my right and what is to my left and what is above me. And I seek your refuge from being afflicted from below.”
does anybody know, where can i find the arabic version of this dua?

:wasalamex

transition?
04-09-2009, 01:33 AM
Niooce article

roohani.doctor
04-09-2009, 02:30 AM
Very interesting! I suffer from extreme moodiness. :) However, I am occasionally very shy.

A lot of true info...really helpful. :) The key is connection with Allah and not letting negativity get to your head and to not let people influence your perspective on life (in a negative manner) ...

Güven
04-09-2009, 12:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
Same here.

Im shy but not excessive shy.

I say what I want to say but if there is nothing to say or I don't know what to say.... then I'm as quiet as a mice. :X

ahmed_indian
04-12-2009, 08:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by learningislam
:salamext:

JazakiAllah khair sis. It was a very informative article.

does anybody know, where can i find the arabic version of this dua?

:wasalamex
http://www.islamicbulletin.com/free_downloads/resources/fortification_of_the_muslim.pdf

page: 22, dua: 83

noorseeker
04-12-2009, 12:05 PM
http://http://www.islamicbulletin.co...the_muslim.pdf

Uthman
04-12-2009, 12:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
You don't seem shy at all hmm.
How about me? I don't think I come across as being shy at all on here but in real life I am very shy!

Thanks for the article. I read some of it and will read the rest later hopefully. (I'm not procrastinating...)

Ummu Sufyaan
03-14-2010, 08:36 AM
:sl:
*bump...

yahia12
03-14-2010, 11:56 AM
well its not so bad as it sounds. its also good to be shy in my oppinion. u dont commit so much sins so on. keeps you away from interacting with bad company. :)

happy
03-14-2010, 08:12 PM
shyness is good things but it has to be balanced meaning you do it at the right time in the right situations.

happy
03-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Shyness is not disease but beautifl things

S<Chowdhury
03-14-2010, 08:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by happy
shyness is good things but it has to be balanced meaning you do it at the right time in the right situations.
^^^^ Agreed there needs to be a balance

KittenLover
03-14-2010, 08:35 PM
If I'm not wrong wasn't the prophet peace be upon him shy, especially before he got married to khadija :hmm:

Nimboo
03-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Shyness a branch of Iman?

KittenLover
03-14-2010, 08:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nimboo
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Shyness a branch of Iman?
I don't know but to have shyness in some things is good, like shyness in talking to the opposite gender is good.

Nimboo
03-14-2010, 08:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KittenLover
I don't know but to have shyness in some things is good, like shyness in talking to the opposite gender is good.

Source:

Abu Hurairah (Radhiallaho anha) reported:

Messenger of Allah (Sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam) said,

"Iman has sixty odd or seventy odd branches. The uppermost of all these is the Testimony of Faith: `La ilaha illallah' (there is no true god except Allah) while the least of them is the removal of harmful object from the road. And shyness is a branch of Iman.''

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Imam Anwar Al Awlaki:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vE92j5nHnI

If I remember correctly, I think its from Lives of the Prophets

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.