/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How would you react?

*charisma*
04-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

I need help with this assignment..like ASAP :D

If you were walking down the hallway or sidewalk, and someone (specifically a female) maintained steady eye-contact, what would your initial reaction be?

If other, please state so!

real experiences may help as well..

jazakum allahu khair in advance!

fi aman allah
w'salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Azy
04-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Who is it?
Same sex, opposite sex, policeman, thug, child?
Depends who.

*charisma*
04-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

I'd specifically say a female hijabi, but I'll jst keep it simple and say a female.

I edited the first post and included that.

fi aman allah
w'salaam

Al-Hanbali
04-05-2009, 11:40 PM
wa 'alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah...

depends on the gender....

Female: Glance away/lower gaze & continue on your way

Male: stare back like "yes...? ^o)"

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Güven
04-05-2009, 11:52 PM
^Lol I ditto that!

Dawud_uk
04-06-2009, 12:07 AM
:sl:

i chose option 1 as seemed closest but how would i know she was keeping steady eye contact as my eyes should be down anyway as soon as i see it is a woman in front of me?

YusufNoor
04-06-2009, 12:10 AM

hmmm, i don't know. :?

how cute is she? :omg:

just might have to introduce myself! :happy:

kinda happens alot, but doesn't turn out like they expect!

alot of Muslimas stare at me because i wear a Pakistani chamise and have a real long beard with a short mustache. they're like...is he...but he's...white...

they then assume i am from Pakistan, though once they think about it they guess Bosnia.

when i speak to them i often hear, "Wow, your English is pretty good!" :mmokay:

lots of astonishment when they find out i was born in the US. even more if we discuss Islam or comparative religion. they leave saying, "Salaam Shaykh!"

:w:

Yanal
04-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Same as SR. If it's a male :I would say "keep your eyes down as no one deserves you looking up except Allah(because I'm tall).

elee
04-06-2009, 12:37 AM
when girl i don't know says "hi" to me on street, or giggles, my reaction is to give them serious gaze :D, and continue like nothing happened. I react that way naturally, cause you don't expect strangers to do that.

when younger male stranger says hi to me, I automaticly assume he's gay/needs money so I ignore him also.

when older people say "hi" to me, i find that weird cause in big city people don't do it often, but out of respect i'll respond back politely.

islamlover_girl
04-06-2009, 12:49 AM
I think I `d walk more slowly so if she knows me she will take the step and say alsalamo alykom do u rememmber me?
but this will be my reaction only if she looks respectable and good one,and only if that was in a secure country and place
If not I ll run away ,may be she is planing to abducting me :eek:
:) .

kwolney01
04-06-2009, 01:24 AM
I would depend on who the women is...I would most likely just smile and keep walking. Of course, if it was a sister I would say my salams. I tend to get a lot of stares specially because I'm a white American revert just starting to wear the hijab! I think a lot of people look at me and think "is she white?" :)

IbnAbdulHakim
04-06-2009, 01:30 AM
i'd think:

"is there something wrong?"

and i'd glance away/lower gaze

*charisma*
04-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Assalamu alaikum

just out of curiosity, if someone you knew did this, like a close blood-relative, would you guys react differently? I know if my sister maintained eye contact, id probably say something like "what?? :mmokay:"

fi aman allah
w'salaam

جوري
04-06-2009, 02:21 AM
give them the ole

stare

mwahahahahaha

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 06:43 AM
If its a sis I'll smile and if they dont smile back I'll say salaam (they might know me innit but I might not recognise em or summin and they might be waiting for me to say Hi :p) and if they dont salam me back then I'll roll my eyes and walk off, the cheek! <_<

If its a bro on the same side of the street as me I'll cross over and walk the other way, and I definately would not attempt to overtake him if he happened to walk past me :uuh: personal experiance dictates not to do that :uuh:

But really, I'm usually walking far too fast to notice mere earthlings.

WassalamuAlaykum

elee
04-06-2009, 06:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu alaikum

just out of curiosity, if someone you knew did this, like a close blood-relative, would you guys react differently? I know if my sister maintained eye contact, id probably say something like "what?? :mmokay:"

fi aman allah
w'salaam
Depends how long would they stare :uuh:, if more than few secs, I'd start a staring contest if I'm in mood or just ignore it otherwise.

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 11:08 AM
A little after I posted this, I was on the train and this lady was staring at me :uuh: LoL freakish. But anyway I maintained my 'cool as a cucumber' look for about 5 seconds before averting my gaze, I couldnt help it, I mean how long can u actually stare at somebody for :uuh:

Al-Zaara
04-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Trust me, I would probably never realize the stare if not someone said to me there's someone staring at me. Has happened so many times. :offended:

I always look back and smile or look somewhere else, ignoring.

No mimz, I wouldn't go bazooka and give attitude "Are you STARIN' AT MEEEH?!!!!?", how much you even wish to believe that. ;D

The Ruler
04-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Stare back.

Muezzin
04-06-2009, 11:34 AM
How would you react to a stare?

S_87
04-06-2009, 12:57 PM
probably stare them down too

crayon
04-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Female/kid- Smile, if they're muslim say salaam, if they're not say hi.
Male-Just keep walking.

NIKKY
04-06-2009, 01:20 PM
if it wer a female i wud smile..if i knew her i wud giv salaam...
if it wer a male id jst put ma head dwn n walk...
bt wen i c family members staring....i get worried...!!

nebula
04-06-2009, 05:45 PM
depends who was stairing at me,

if its a muslim brother, id say asalaamallaykum bro wasup?

if its some thugish guy id just look away lol (dont wanna get into a fight)

if its a women (just look away or lower my gaze)

if its a kid (you want some candy?) lol

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Well if it's a female I will look, smile, and say hi. Hey your doing dawah ;)

But if it's a guy, then cya later homie! I would choose the first option :D

But if anyone says hi or passes a smile, i say hi or smile and walk away. This might b wrong but even guys who just pass a hi or a smile(to be nice) i do the same, but I cant look at em. I still stare down and walk away. One time tho I was sitting with no smile on my face and this guy passed by and said hello(at uni), some older guy. And he's like u should smile more, cuz he thought i was angry or something Lol. I was like wow...

Bint-Al-Islam
04-06-2009, 08:28 PM
If its a female muslim i will look, say my salam and smile then continue.. If non-muslim female smile or say hi to me I do the same to them..

AntiKarateKid
04-06-2009, 09:16 PM
If it was an attractive girl looking at me...

I would lower my gaze, puff out my chest, and make a heroic pose. LOL!

I'm serious...:nervous:

Shah4Justice
04-06-2009, 09:59 PM

The poll is'nt about someone smiling or saying hello..its about someone staring at u...staring is different from a Gaze i think...
I alhumdulillah keep my gaze low...meaning i dont checkout ppl around me.
Staring on the other hand is kinda rude, but when i notice someone staring at me, i carefully check myself for if something is wrong, i should fix it.
I talk to non-muslims eye to eye but when I am communicating with a muslim brother, I have a big smile on my face (just natural, maybe coz i love em so much for who they are)...but i cant talk to muslimahs...well mostly the conversation is very short since i have to run before they notice me blushing and then make fun of me later.
is something wrong with my reactions? could u suggest any improvements in my behavior?

Musaafirah
04-06-2009, 10:06 PM
I'd avert me gaze.
It's freaky when people stare at me. And like Zara, I'll only notice if someone else points it out to me coz I'm usually starin at the ground to begin with.
Plus it's in a corridor. I wouldn't notice anyway.
Maybe in an empty theater before the lecture starts. But then again maybe not, I'll probably get my phone out and start playing some random game.
:muddlehea

The Ruler
04-06-2009, 10:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler
Stare back.
That would be if it were a sister.

If a brother, it'd be that plus shuriken practise.

To me, a stare is a challenge. And I accept it regardless of the consequences.

nebula
04-06-2009, 10:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafirah
I'll probably get my phone out and start playing some random game.
lol this is wat i usually do on the bus :D, or i start messing around with my fone settings... people usually stair at me for different reasons lol, oh he needs a shave, hes got jack ups! aaaaah lol :nervous:

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 10:42 PM
I'll probably get my phone out and start playing some random game.
I have a weird obsession with checking my fone every 2 minutes *smack* like it's gonna have sprouted wings or summin :rolleyes: :embarrass

Musaafirah
04-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Or a new message will have come..Like every 2 seconds maybe? :rolleyes:

Re.TiReD
04-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Or a new message will have come..Like every 2 seconds maybe? :rolleyes:
;D :embarrass

You're right though, coz a msg usually does come that often. I have 12,000 free texts :uuh: anywayyyy I aint guna take this any more off-topic than I have already.

Muezzin
04-07-2009, 06:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AntiKarateKid
If it was an attractive girl looking at me...

I would lower my gaze, puff out my chest, and make a heroic pose. LOL!

I'm serious...:nervous:
Calm down, Ryu.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-07-2009, 09:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Shah4Justice

The poll is'nt about someone smiling or saying hello..its about someone staring at u...
Nawww...u think?:rollseyes

lol

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-08-2009, 01:40 AM

I'd have an internal conversation that would go something like this:

Sensible Voice: Bro, I so wish I was married...:-[ Last thing I need is a Hijabi that looks like her (Masha'Allaah) staring at me...:-[ I gotta lower my gaze man! :blind:
Not-so-Sensible Voice: Yeah, but that wouldn't help, you could get married again..maybe to her? :statisfie
Sensible Voice: yeah but the wifey would be w/ me at this moment and thus I wouldn't have a sister staring at me..so I wudnt dare even have that thought! :skeleton:
Not-so-Sensible Voice: Forget second wife..what if Allaah decreed that she'll be your first? :thumbs_up
Sensible Voice: Eh? Na can't happen, she's just probably zoned out and has no idea where she's looking? :enough!: Why me though?!:exhausted Fitnah man, Fitnah! :scared:
Not-so-Sensible Voice: Yeah..but it could mean something more :wub: [:sunny:]
Sensible Voice: Astaghfirullah, man are you trying to corrupt me?! :anger:

*Lowers gaze and walks away slightly embarrassed*. :-\

Though all of that most probably won't happen..except the last part in asterisks. :ermm:

Sorry if my sense of humor (or lack of it) offends anyone. :X

Re.TiReD
04-08-2009, 01:49 AM
^ And then they say women tend to construct an ideal future within seconds and after one 'AssalamuAlaykum' :D (if you wanna know what I mean read the article on manicmuslim I think it is....abt this bro passing a sis and saying salam I think and then....well just read it)

nebula
04-08-2009, 01:51 AM
^ haha bro abu sayyad that was funny lol!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-08-2009, 02:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Sayyad

I'd have an internal conversation that would go something like this:

Sensible Voice: Bro, I so wish I was married...:-[ Last thing I need is a Hijabi that looks like her (Masha'Allaah) staring at me...:-[ I gotta lower my gaze man! :blind:
Not-so-Sensible Voice: Yeah, but that wouldn't help, you could get married again..maybe to her? :statisfie
Sensible Voice: yeah but the wifey would be w/ me at this moment and thus I wouldn't have a sister staring at me..so I wudnt dare even have that thought! :skeleton:
Not-so-Sensible Voice: Forget second wife..what if Allaah decreed that she'll be your first? :thumbs_up
Sensible Voice: Eh? Na can't happen, she's just probably zoned out and has no idea where she's looking? :enough!: Why me though?!:exhausted Fitnah man, Fitnah! :scared:
Not-so-Sensible Voice: Yeah..but it could mean something more :wub: [:sunny:]
Sensible Voice: Astaghfirullah, man are you trying to corrupt me?! :anger:

*Lowers gaze and walks away slightly embarrassed*. :-\

Though all of that most probably won't happen..except the last part in asterisks. :ermm:

Sorry if my sense of humor (or lack of it) offends anyone. :X

Loooooool! Complete jokes.

*charisma*
04-10-2009, 03:05 AM
Assalamu alaikumm

lol :D

Jazakum Allahu khair for all your replies!! they were helpful!

fi aman allah
w'salaam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.