/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Over half of Americans admit lacking understanding of Islam: poll

Uthman
04-06-2009, 05:13 PM
More than half of Americans acknowledge having a poor understanding of Islam, even though they support President Barack Obama's plan to seek improved relations with the Muslim world, according to a new opinion poll released late Sunday.

The survey by The Washington Post and ABC News showed that 55 per cent of those polled said they lacked a good understanding of the teachings and beliefs of Islam.

Forty-eight percent said they had an unfavorable view of Islam while nearly three in 10, or 29 per cent, said they saw mainstream Islam as advocating violence against non-Muslims.

At the same time, 58 per cent said Islam was a peaceful religion, according to the poll. In his inaugural address, President Obama offered to 'extend a hand' to Muslim nations if they are willing to accept it.

Nearly two-thirds of respondents said Obama will handle this diplomacy 'about right.'

However, nearly a quarter said he will probably 'go too far' and nine percent said it was more likely he will not go far enough.

The survey, conducted by telephone March 26-29, had a margin of sampling error of plus or minus three percentage points.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
YusufNoor
04-07-2009, 01:10 PM
:sl:

how is this news?

you could do a poll and find out that :

Over half of Muslims admit lacking understanding of Islam

:w:

jeff d
07-30-2009, 09:54 PM
I am a Christian Reverend who has many Muslim friends, mostly from UAE and the West Bank. Americans in general form opinions very quickly without knowing all the facts, which makes them ignorant.
I have been learning more and more throughout the years about Islamic faith. I appreciate and respect all of my Muslim brothers and sisters. We are all children of Allah, we are all brothers and sisters on this earth. I really wish more people would take a good look at faith before denouncing any of them. I meet up with 2 of my Muslim friends here in New Mexico three times a week to learn more. They are 2 of the best people I know! We can talk about anything, nothing is taboo. That is the general problems here in the states though, is that people form their opinions based on very little knowledge. Allah is all merciful!!
Rev. Jeff Dishong

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.