/* */

PDA

View Full Version : dua in fard salaah's sujood. pls help!

ahmed_indian
04-07-2009, 07:44 AM
salaam alaikum,

i heard that we can ask Allah for anything in sujood but it should be in arabic.

so can we do that in fard salaah also or just in nafil salaah?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mikayeel
04-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Approved

Snowflake
04-11-2009, 10:28 AM
hope this helps inshaAllah...

If the one who is praying knows Arabic, his prayer will be invalidated by a non-Arabic supplication (du‘a) or invocation (dhikr), whether or not this supplication or invocation has been transmitted from the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) [at that point in prayer] or not. As for the one who does not know Arabic, it is permitted for him to make a supplication or invocation in a language other than Arabic, but only if it has been transmitted that the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) uttered them [at that point in the prayer]; otherwise, if they haven’t been transmitted from the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace), saying them in a language other than Arabic will invalidate the prayer.

[h: Shaykh Ibn Hajar] says in the Tuhfa along with [h: Imam Nawawi's] Minhaj:

" (It is not invalidated by) permissible (invocation or supplication) since they are both legislated during [h: the prayer]. Consequently, if one (a) performs either of the two in a language other than Arabic while knowing Arabic or (b) if one does not know Arabic and composes them oneself ... it is invalidated." (Tuhfa, 2.146)

al-Shirwani says in his supercommentary, ""has composed them oneself" means that they have not been transmitted from the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace), as al-Kurdi explained."

Whoever wishes to memorize any supplications or invocations that have been transmitted from the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) should refer to Imam Nawawi’s "Book of Invocations" (Kitab al-Adhkar).

Amjad Rasheed
Amman, Jordan
(Translated by Hamza Karamali)
Source(s):
http://qa.**************/issue_view.asp?H...

convert
04-11-2009, 10:49 AM
I like how every ruiling I have ever seen on this is basically an Arabic speaker following their desires and gives no daleel whatsoever.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
anonymous
04-13-2009, 04:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by convert
I like how every ruiling I have ever seen on this is basically an Arabic speaker following their desires and gives no daleel whatsoever.
Brother, I think there has been a slight misunderstanding. This is regarding Salah (The 5 daily ritual prayers), and the invocations said during it. We learn and read them in Arabic, because this is the way the Prophet :arabic5: was taught (the Salah) by Angel Jibreel, and this is how the companions read it and so on. As for making du'aa to Allaah which is not during the Salah, then it is not obligatory to say those in Arabic (i.e. u can ask Allaah in any language etc)

Sahabiyaat
04-13-2009, 05:00 PM
i make my own composed dua, in sujood during fardh salah, for e.g 'Ya Allah please help me and forgive me'.

Are you saying Allah will say to me 'do one' cuz its not in arabic or because its persoanlly composed by me.

:| ...u gta be kidding me.

I will continue to do so, knowing my raab has heard me and im sure he doesnt mind if i made it up myself or that its in english.

anonymous
04-13-2009, 06:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
i make my own composed dua, in sujood during fardh salah, for e.g 'Ya Allah please help me and forgive me'.

Are you saying Allah will say to me 'do one' cuz its not in arabic or because its persoanlly composed by me.

:| ...u gta be kidding me.

I will continue to do so, knowing my raab has heard me and im sure he doesnt mind if i made it up myself or that its in english.
:sl:

But sister, the Salah is a formal prayer with certain rules and regulations e.g. we can't look here and there during it, we must have ablution etc. In the same way, we have to learn how to say it in Arabic - Just like when we learn the Qur'aan (hifdh), we learn it in Arabic, don't we? Angel Gibreel taught the Salah to the Prophet :arabic5: and we have to say it in the language that He taught it in. That is the way Allaah swt wants us to read our Salah in order for it to be correct/accepted. And if we don't know how to say it in Arabic, then we have to learn how to. That does not mean we need to learn the whole language, no (though strongly recommended to). It means we just need to know how to say our Salah in Arabic and the Qur'aan in Arabic. And just learn the translation to those so we understand what we are saying. Like we learn Surah Al-Fatiha in Arabic, which we recite in our Salah, and we do not say it in English or Urdu or Chinese etc.

As for doing duaa which is not during the Salah (formal prayer), u can do those in any language . Not a problem my sister.

crayon
04-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Hmmm..this is really surprising for me, I never knew this. Is this a matter of consensus between the scholars?

Also, somewhat related question, is saying any dua'a not said by the prophet peace be upon him in arabic during sujood permissible? Like what sis sahabiyaat said, for example, but in arabic?

Sahabiyaat
04-13-2009, 07:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
:sl:

But sister, the Salah is a formal prayer with certain rules and regulations e.g. we can't look here and there during it, we must have ablution etc. In the same way, we have to learn how to say it in Arabic - Just like when we learn the Qur'aan (hifdh), we learn it in Arabic, don't we? Angel Gibreel taught the Salah to the Prophet :arabic5: and we have to say it in the language that He taught it in. That is the way Allaah swt wants us to read our Salah in order for it to be correct/accepted. And if we don't know how to say it in Arabic, then we have to learn how to. That does not mean we need to learn the whole language, no (though strongly recommended to). It means we just need to know how to say our Salah in Arabic and the Qur'aan in Arabic. And just learn the translation to those so we understand what we are saying. Like we learn Surah Al-Fatiha in Arabic, which we recite in our Salah, and we do not say it in English or Urdu or Chinese etc.

As for doing duaa which is not during the Salah (formal prayer), u can do those in any language . Not a problem my sister.
your post is completely irrelevant to what im saying

ofcourse i perform my salah to the best of my knowledge, as is directed by the prophet, and in arabic.

I differ, when it is allegeldy stated that i cannot compose my own dua and say it silently in my mind during sujood, as any supplication made during sujood has a higer possibility of being accepted.

What is being said (by sis scents of jannah source) is that if u do make a dua in sujood, it HAS to be one of the prophets supplications and if you know arabic, it must be in arabic. meaning you cannot compose your own, which is what i do.

hows is that? ...is there any more solid evidence to suggest what i do is unacceptable and compltely void, as i see no logic in it whatsoever?!

anonymous
04-13-2009, 07:26 PM
salaam, hold up sorry. I just asked my aunt and I think there is a difference of opinion. She said according to one sheikh (I think she said sheikh al albaani - not sure because she was in a hurry) u are allowed to say du'aa in a language other than Arabic in sujood. But I am going to find out more insha' Allaah, to know the mas'ala for sure.

anonymous
04-13-2009, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Also, somewhat related question, is saying any dua'a not said by the prophet peace be upon him in arabic during sujood permissible? Like what sis sahabiyaat said, for example, but in arabic?
As far as I know its permissible. :ermm: Many Imams compose their own du'aa in the witr prayer also, during Taraweeh e.g. praying for Palestine, the Ummah etc.

anonymous
04-14-2009, 10:14 AM
salaam, hold up sorry. I just asked my aunt and I think there is a difference of opinion. She said according to one sheikh (I think she said sheikh al albaani - not sure because she was in a hurry) u are allowed to say du'aa in a language other than Arabic in sujood. But I am going to find out more insha' Allaah, to know the mas'ala for sure.
I found this on Islamqa regarding making du’aa’ in prayer in a language other than Arabic..but the Questioner is talking abt nafl Salah... n m not sure if its the same for fard Salah. Their answer is very brief.

If I don't speak Arabic and I want to make Du'aa while I am in prayers. For example, in Tahajud while the prostration is long Can I make Du'aa in my language until I learn Arabic.

Praise be to Allaah.
Yes, it is permissible to make du’aa’ in a language other than Arabic, if one does not speak it. But the Muslim has to learn enough Arabic to do the acts of worship properly. And Allaah knows best.
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/4337/du%27...%20prostration
format_quote Originally Posted by Sahabiyaat
I differ, when it is allegeldy stated that i cannot compose my own dua and say it silently in my mind during sujood, as any supplication made during sujood has a higer possibility of being accepted.
Because I am not sure abt the issue, I'd personally feel more comfortable sticking with Arabic during sujood and learning the du'aas of the Prophet :arabic5: which are very comprehensive - and because I don't know enough Arabic to compose my own du'aa). And when I want to make a very personal du'aa, I just go down into sujood anyway (whilst not in Salah) and pray in English.. :playing:

The rest I don't know. Ask someone more knowledegable.

convert
04-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Until someone brings me proof (and not just Sheikh Fulan ibn Fulan said such and such) to the contrary, I will make dua in the language I feel comfortable in.

anonymous
04-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Until someone brings me proof (and not just Sheikh Fulan ibn Fulan said such and such) to the contrary, I will make dua in the language I feel comfortable in.
You mean in sujood during Prayer, brother?

convert
04-14-2009, 12:02 PM
You mean in sujood during Prayer, brother?
Whenever.

anonymous
04-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Whenever.
I know some people in your community have frustrated you, and perhaps their approach and way of explaining was not the best, but I hope this helps:

I'm an American who is interested in Islam. I have just finished a paper on Rumi and Sufism for my college religion course, and I also have been reading and looking online to learn more about Islam. I understand that the prayers are said in Arabic. My question is: doesn’t God hear you even if it is not in Arabic?

I understand that with translation, some of the message is lost or altered from the original text. But God is for all, so why would He limit His message to Arabic- speaking people. If read in Persian, English or any other language, is it not the same message?

Thanks.

Salam John.

Thank you for your question.

The knowledge of Allah encompasses all languages, thoughts, intentions, events, and things. He knows the fleeting thoughts that flash through your mind that you yourself barely register, and as He willed the existence of different languages, He naturally understands them all. He understands the prayers of all peoples notwithstanding the differences in their languages, dialects, levels of coherence, and sophistication. Even those who cannot speak are understood by Allah.

On the other hand, the ritual Prayer, which is the daily salah that is performed at least five times daily, is conducted in the Arabic language according to the consensus of Islamic scholars. The only exception to this rule would be if a very new Muslim has not been able to memorize the few lines of Arabic necessary to complete the Prayer, in which case some scholars hold that he may recite in his native tongue on a very temporary basis rather than miss the Prayer altogether.

In answer to your question, the Qur’an is in Arabic. Anything else is merely a translation of its meaning. This simple fact has served as a powerful unifying factor within the diverse Muslim world for the past 1400 years. You should not despair because of your lack of knowledge of Arabic, because truth be told, the Arabic of the Qur’an is very different from the Arabic spoken (and arguably read) by the Arabs today. In other words, you are at no disadvantage in learning the language of the Qur’an when compared even with your Arab counterparts.

The minimum Arabic required to carry out the Prayer is approximately 80 words (based on my quick estimate). I imagine that a person of average intelligence and foreign language skills could memorize this within a few hours. Furthermore, he could easily memorize the meanings of the words in his native language in even less time. Many mosques in the West offer basic Arabic lessons, and thus a new Muslim could learn basic Arabic grammar along with Qur’anic vocabulary, constructs, and locutions in a matter of weeks. I myself went through a similar learning process after accepting Islam a few years ago.

On the other hand, supplication (du`aa’) of Allah and glorifying Him verbally can be done in any language. Thus, that the ritual Prayer must be conducted in Arabic in no way detracts from a non-Arabic-speaking Muslim's personal relationship with his Creator. Your praising, asking, and seeking forgiveness from Allah in your native language facilitates reverence, love, and sincerity with Him. It is for this reason that supplicating Allah is considered worship in Islam and is one of the best ways to achieve closeness to Him, as the experts agree.

To conclude, you must not let yourself feel frustrated or overwhelmed by the use of Arabic in some aspects of Islamic worship. Allah intended Islam for all peoples and tongues until the end of time, and though only 20 percent of Muslims worldwide are of Arabic-speaking ethnicities, the use of elevated Qur’anic Arabic in the Prayer has never generated complaint or dissention. Rather, the device has stood as a strong unifying factor for Muslims worldwide, and it has kept us connected with the original Word of Allah in its exactly original and unadulterated state. Islam is unique in this regard.

Thank you for your question, John, and may Allah guide us all to His single, eternal Truth, for He alone gives guidance and ability. Please keep in touch.

Salam.

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/...=1123996016314
see also:

I'd like to ask about the practice of praying in a language I understand.
Isn't there a hadith in which one of the Persian Sahabah (Companions) of the Prophet (peace be upon him) was having difficulty pronouncing the Arabic wording, so the Prophet (peace be upon him) allowed him to pray in his own language?
Thank you for your help. Allah knows best.

Salam, Babar.

Thank you for your question. One of the first questions people who are thinking about becoming Muslim ask is whether or not they will need to learn Arabic in order to be Muslim.

Such a daunting task of learning a new language seems to them both off putting and extremely difficult and many feel that they will never master it.

Arabic Not a Sixth Pillar

All Muslims try their utmost to learn Arabic. The first thing a new Muslim does upon embracing Islam is to learn a few verses from the noble Qur'an in order to say the Prayers properly.

The most important statement a Muslim makes is that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad (peace be upon him) is His Messenger. Muslims believe that Almighty Allah has commanded them to pray five times a day, at certain set times, giving a routine of prayer to the day and elevating the mind at all times to think of Allah.
Muslims give a portion of their excess wealth to those less fortunate than themselves. This is a religious duty that is also one of the central beliefs of Islam.
Muslims fast during the noble month of Ramadan because Allah has ordered them to do so, and they are required, if physically and financially able to do so, to go on pilgrimage to Makkah once in their life to perform Hajj.
All these requirements are known as the Five Pillars of Islam. There is no sixth pillar, for example, to learn Arabic!
Islam Across the Globe
Eighteen percent of the world's Muslims are Arab. There are more Muslims living in Indonesia, for example, than the whole of the Arab world put together.
This tells us something very important about Islam. It is a universal religion, the natural religion of humankind, that has existed since the beginning of time, and it is meant for all people.
Arabs do not have a monopoly over Islam. In fact, people are already beginning to talk about the 21st century as the century of Islam in the West, as more and more people embrace Islam in Europe and North America and bring a new dimension to the Muslim world.
While being Arab, then, is not an essential part of being Muslim, the Arabic language does have a very important place, for two reasons.
The Language of the Qur'an
The first is that Arabic is the language of the noble Qur'an. The second is that Muslims form one brotherhood throughout the world, and Arabic plays a unifying role in this one Muslim nation.
The noble Qur'an was revealed to Prophet Muhammad in Arabic. In this Arabic original, we have the exact words of Almighty Allah to humankind. This is why we cannot ever accurately translate the noble Qur'an into other languages, since nuances of meaning would be lost in translation.
The Arabic words are the exact words revealed, whereas translations would at best be good approximations to that meaning.
This is why we talk about having translations of the meaning of the noble Qur'an, rather than of the words themselves. Arabic, then, is very important. If we do not know Arabic, we cannot know the noble Qur'an.
A Unifying Role
Arabic is important, too, for unifying the Muslim Ummah. When Muslims from every corner of the globe gather around the sacred Ka`bah to pray, they pray together in one language.
Communicating with one another in any language, they all use exactly the same Arabic words in worshipping Almighty Allah. Arabic is important, then, for Muslims to worship together.
Your question, though, asks whether it is permissible to pray in a language other than Arabic. Is it allowed to pray, for example, in your own language?
No Burden Intended
To understand the answer, we must remember that Islam is given as a mercy to humankind. Islam is not a burden to anyone. It is a message that brings peace.
If, then, there is someone who absolutely cannot master Arabic to say the Prayers, he or she could begin by saying their meaning in his or her own language until such a time that Arabic could be learned. Islam is very flexible.
This, however, is an extreme suggestion, because it only requires learning two verses of the noble Qur'an, even the shortest two, in order to pray properly.
It is inconceivable that a person could not manage to learn two short verses in order to pray. And this requirement, of course, only applies to the formal necessities of Prayer. We can make our own supplications in any language at all.
Even when our foreheads are touching the ground during the five daily Prayers, we can add our own supplications to Allah in any language we choose.
The question of praying in Arabic is not a burden imposed on Muslims. Nor should it be seen as Arab Muslims trying to control the rest of the Muslim world. Arabic as a requirement for Prayer is a very small requirement indeed.
What we find, though, is that those Muslims who are not Arab want to increase their knowledge of Arabic in order to read the noble Qur'an and in order to stand in Prayer with other Muslims, either in the mosque or on the great occasion of Hajj.
Twice the Reward
There is a very beautiful hadith that has a direct bearing on this question of Arabic. Our beloved Prophet understood well that all people are not expert at languages. He could foresee, too, that Islam would reach every corner of the earth and that many non-Arabs would become Muslim.
To these brothers and sisters, he is reported to have said these words,
Verily, the one who recites the Qur'an beautifully, smoothly and precisely, will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses because he doesn't know how to read it but is trying to, then he will have twice that reward. (Muslim)
Al-hamdu lillah! Islam is a universal religion and Muslims cover almost every country on earth. We read in the noble Qur'an what means:
*{On no soul does Allah place a burden greater than it can bear.}* (Al-Baqarah 2:286)
Knowledge of Arabic can become a blessing, not a problem or a difficulty, for those who try to learn it for the sake of Allah.
Allah will never withhold the capacity to learn just a few verses of the noble Qur'an in order to pray. Hopefully, our Prayers will be accepted.
I hope this answers your question. Please stay in touch.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.