/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Obama visits Turkey

Al-Zaara
04-07-2009, 09:10 AM
ANKARA, Turkey — Declaring the U.S. "is not and never will be at war with Islam," President Barack Obama worked Monday to mend frayed ties with NATO ally Turkey and improve relations with the larger Muslim world.

Obama acknowledged still-raw tensions over the Iraq war but said Muslims worldwide have little in common with terrorists such as al-Qaida and have much to gain in opposing them. Reaching out, he also spoke of Muslim connections in his own background.

"We seek broader engagement based upon mutual interest and mutual respect," Obama said in a speech to Turkey's Parliament.
It was his first visit to a predominantly Islamic nation as president, and he struck a balance between extending a hand to Muslims in general and discussing Turkey's central role in helping to bring stability to a post-war Iraq and the wider Middle East.

"Our partnership with the Muslim world is critical, not just in rolling back the violent ideologies that people of all faiths reject but also to strengthen opportunity for all its people," he said. He portrayed terrorist groups such as al-Qaida as extremists far removed from the vast majority of Muslims.

Turkey has NATO's largest Army after the U.S., but relations between the two countries soured after the 2003 invasion of Iraq, which the Turks opposed. Turkey barred U.S. forces from going through its country to attack Iraq.

Now, however, since Obama is withdrawing troops, Turkey has become more cooperative.

"Turkey's greatness lies in your ability to be at the center of things. This is not where East and West divide _ this is where they come together," Obama said.

He acknowledged hard feelings over Iraq.
"I know that strain is shared in many places where the Muslim faith is practiced. So let me say this as clearly as I can: The United States is not and will never be at war with Islam."

Continue reading here ...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
KAding
04-07-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure how much this means in the end though. After all, Bush also called Islam a "faith based upon peace and love and compassion" and a religion committed to “morality and learning and tolerance.”

He also said the following: "Islam is a vibrant faith. Millions of our fellow citizens are Muslim. We respect the faith. We honor its traditions. Our enemy does not. Our enemy doesn't follow the great traditions of Islam. They've hijacked a great religion."

I suppose the argument could be made that Bush didn't mean it and Obama does.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.