/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Joys of Being a College Student in America!

wth1257
04-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Being a college student is often a difficult period in one’s life. We take low paying, demeaning jobs to pay the bills. We often are chronically deprived of sleep, constantly competing with other students for “the top spots”. Student loans are “the most oppressive debt in US history” with terms and conditions that would make a mafia loan shark blush and our financial strains are constantly highlighted by the ever presence of “recruiting material” from the armed forces reminding us that while a civilian student may be on his own if you join the armed forces all your troubles will dissolve away.

So in this context I got a spot of good news. The federal government would be paying me $24 in tax returns, what’s more the state government would be sending me back $49 in tax returns. :statisfie

Yes...that's it, free money for the poor student I think :statisfie:statisfie:statisfie

I only later found out that actually I was incorrect and actually owe the state $49 in taxes. :cry:

:p

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Güven
04-07-2009, 11:46 AM
lol I have that too sometimes, those governments are just playing with us!

very frustrating.

wth1257
04-07-2009, 01:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
lol I have that too sometimes, those governments are just playing with us!

very frustrating.

lol yeah. I don't even know how I can owe them any money.

I just want to write

POOR
COLLEGE
STUDENT!!!!

and mail it back. I mean is the IRS going to bust down the door and drag me off over $49?

prolly:-[

Sahabiyaat
04-07-2009, 03:50 PM
i just bin havn a nap *yawn*

lol n this post made me smile :)

i remember my lecturer had this saying; there are two things in life that are inevitable.Death and taxes. lol.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
04-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Hey, hey, hey, being a College Student in America was my lost dream !

Just before I graduated from high school my friend gave me a book 'Lists of College and University in USA'.

When I was in first year in Uni (in Indonesia, of course) I told my daddy
"Dad, I want to study in USA"
"Can you speak English ?"
"No"
"You must learn".
So, I went to an English Course, then I said to receptionist
"I must study in USA, I want to get a TOEFL course"
"Did you ever learn English ?"
"No"
"When you will go to USA ?"
"This year"
He looked my eyes then said
"We cannot teach you. Find another English course !"

wth1257
04-08-2009, 01:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Hey, hey, hey, being a College Student in America was my lost dream !

Just before I graduated from high school my friend gave me a book 'Lists of College and University in USA'.

When I was in first year in Uni (in Indonesia, of course) I told my daddy
"Dad, I want to study in USA"
"Can you speak English ?"
"No"
"You must learn".
So, I went to an English Course, then I said to receptionist
"I must study in USA, I want to get a TOEFL course"
"Did you ever learn English ?"
"No"
"When you will go to USA ?"
"This year"
He looked my eyes then said
"We cannot teach you. Find another English course !"
You seem to speak it fine now :D

Intisar
04-08-2009, 02:08 AM
I hate my job, I don't even pay anything besides my cellphone bill and monthly bus pass. :rollseyes I don't even know how to do my taxes, I always give them to my mom and she does them for me. I'm still stuck with her through health insurance too, and I'm almost 19. :D

I can't wait until college is over, and then I can finally do what I want inshaAllaah.

Growing up is really stressful, especially living in the West. People back home think we're rich, when little do they know we struggle too. :exhausted

wth1257
04-08-2009, 02:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameena*
I hate my job, I don't even pay anything besides my cellphone bill and monthly bus pass. :rollseyes I don't even know how to do my taxes, I always give them to my mom and she does them for me. I'm still stuck with her through health insurance too, and I'm almost 19. :D

I can't wait until college is over, and then I can finally do what I want inshaAllaah.

Growing up is really stressful, especially living in the West. People back home think we're rich, when little do they know we struggle too. :exhausted
Before college I never thought I'd find sleeping annoying on the grounds that it "takes up too much time" :cry:

Summer break's almost here:statisfie

What job do you do?

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-08-2009, 02:41 AM
Ahhh I feel u wth1257...honestly we're already poor wen we enter and get even "more" poor as time goes on LOL!. Its sad really. They try to rip u of ur money! Its really annoying...

wth1257
04-08-2009, 02:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
Ahhh I feel u wth1257...honestly we're already poor wen we enter and get even "more" poor as time goes on LOL!. Its sad really. They try to rip u of ur money! Its really annoying...
But we're rich in knowledge:statisfie

Unfortunatly knowledge doesn't buy textbooks and food:blind:

Intisar
04-08-2009, 02:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257
Before college I never thought I'd find sleeping annoying on the grounds that it "takes up too much time" :cry:

Summer break's almost here:statisfie

What job do you do?
I'm a sales associate at a department store.

wth1257
04-08-2009, 02:48 AM
I was a sales associate at a food store in High School.

Good times:enough!:

lol, it wasn't that bad. Good luck with things :)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-08-2009, 02:50 AM
But we're rich in knowledge:statisfie

Unfortunatly knowledge doesn't buy textbooks and food:blind:

Lol maybe cuz a lot of us get stuck behind longer when we cant pay for a semester! :D:D If u dont have financial aid. Or if u failed a class and ur taking it again :O.

Textbook costs r insane and at times u cant return them when new editions come in. I hate that.

Intisar
04-08-2009, 02:54 AM
I was a sales associate at a food store in High School.

Good times:enough!:

lol, it wasn't that bad. Good luck with things :)
Alhamdulilah they are understanding though, they understand that school always comes before work and that I won't work at the register because I don't wanna have to touch non-mahram hands.

I have to apply for financial aid early though, it's due in less than a month.

alcurad
04-08-2009, 02:55 AM
heh, don't tell me, still, semester's almost over:)

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-08-2009, 02:56 AM
:sl:

Textbook costs r insane and at times u cant return them when new editions come in. I hate that.
Do what I do! Go to the bookstore when the semester starts, wait near the book you're trying to sell, whenever someone comes to look for it, tell them you're selling that book cheaper than bookstore prices and to go outside if they're interested. Meet outside and close deal! You can make some quick money that way, instead of selling back to bookstores where they give you way too little money back.

Vito
04-08-2009, 03:03 AM
Buy and sell online. www.dealoz.com

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-08-2009, 04:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Sayyad
:sl:

Do what I do! Go to the bookstore when the semester starts, wait near the book you're trying to sell, whenever someone comes to look for it, tell them you're selling that book cheaper than bookstore prices and to go outside if they're interested. Meet outside and close deal! You can make some quick money that way, instead of selling back to bookstores where they give you way too little money back.

:w:

Good idea! I might feel stupid though loool =/

Re.TiReD
04-08-2009, 04:07 AM
:><:

When I was done with arabic I told my teacher to tell her next batch of students that one of her ex-students (me) was selling on her books at a cheaper brice. Do that.

crayon
04-08-2009, 12:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Inaayah
:><:

When I was done with arabic I told my teacher to tell her next batch of students that one of her ex-students (me) was selling on her books at a cheaper brice. Do that.
Haha, love the intentional (?) "brice".:D

Anyway, even hearing all this stuff...I still can't wait for university, it will be awesome inshaAllah!:statisfie

Al-Zaara
04-08-2009, 01:05 PM
^ A good friend and teacher I have, told me to value my time as a student although it can feel hell:ish at times, because looking back, I'll feel it was one of my best times in my life. I've thought about it and I can see why I was told so. In the future I'll fight for a job, to keep it, to pay my bills and won't invest my time on studying and constanly growing my knowledge.... Right now I fight to be able to study and learn, one day my main concern won't be to breath knowledge but buy a new house, or a new job... As a student I have nothing to loose really, I can protest and be rebellious. :D Once I'm a full-time workaholic I'll have much to loose..

wth1257
04-09-2009, 10:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Haha, love the intentional (?) "brice".:D

Anyway, even hearing all this stuff...I still can't wait for university, it will be awesome inshaAllah!:statisfie
College students are just good at complaining. :P

I mean a lot of the "bad" experiences are really good. I complained some months ago about having to stay up all night to tutor some friends in our Constitutional Law class. Truth is I and every one in the group had a great time. It didn't feel nice at the time but everyone has fond memories of it.

"oh yeah, remember con law last semester, when we spent all night in the library?

"yeah, and on the way to the coffee shop, at like 1:00AM it just started POURING DOWN RAIN!"

"And then _____ thought he lost his keys...."

I mean when your soaking wet in a cold library at 3:00AM in the morning getting ready for the test from hell with a bunch of annoying pre med students chattering away over their organic chem texts it's tough but a lot of fun at the same time.

So yeah, it will be awesome for you and I'm sure you'll do great :)

wth1257
04-09-2009, 10:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
^ A good friend and teacher I have, told me to value my time as a student although it can feel hell:ish at times, because looking back, I'll feel it was one of my best times in my life. I've thought about it and I can see why I was told so. In the future I'll fight for a job, to keep it, to pay my bills and won't invest my time on studying and constanly growing my knowledge.... Right now I fight to be able to study and learn, one day my main concern won't be to breath knowledge but buy a new house, or a new job... As a student I have nothing to loose really, I can protest and be rebellious. :D Once I'm a full-time workaholic I'll have much to loose..
Exactly. :D

Cabdullahi
04-09-2009, 11:31 AM
^hahaha........i was a custodian.....cleaning toilets and sweeping up floors for some time ......nah im just kidding i was a mail sorter alhamdulilah but i left because they isolated me in the garage area..it was mid winter and i almost developed frostbite at my fingers........it looked horrendous....ppl thought i applied henna :(

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Yea...in the process of school or uni u wana get OUT but u do tend to miss it. I felt like that when i got out of high school lol.

Cern
04-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Being a college student is often a difficult period in one’s life. We take low paying, demeaning jobs to pay the bills. We often are chronically deprived of sleep, constantly competing with other students for “the top spots”. Student loans are “the most oppressive debt in US history” with terms and conditions that would make a mafia loan shark blush and our financial strains are constantly highlighted by the ever presence of “recruiting material” from the armed forces reminding us that while a civilian student may be on his own if you join the armed forces all your troubles will dissolve away.

So in this context I got a spot of good news. The federal government would be paying me $24 in tax returns, what’s more the state government would be sending me back $49 in tax returns. :statisfie

Yes...that's it, free money for the poor student I think :statisfie:statisfie:statisfie

I only later found out that actually I was incorrect and actually owe the state $49 in taxes. :cry:

:p
I know how you feel. I am going through that right now but in the end the reward will be worth the effort.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.