Rare Shark Caught, Eaten in Philippines

By OLIVER TEVES
, AP
posted: 3 HOURS 4 MINUTES AGO
comments: 376
filed under: Animal News, World News

Print

Text SizeAAA

MANILA, Philippines (April 7) - Fishermen in the Philippines accidentally caught and later ate a megamouth shark, one of the rarest fishes in the world with only 40 others recorded to have been encountered, the World Wildlife Fund said Tuesday.
Skip over this content Rare Creatures

Elson Aca, World Wildlife Fund - Philippines / Getty Images
18 photos

The World Wildlife Fund said Tuesday that a rare megamouth shark, seen above on March 30, was accidentally caught and later eaten in the Philippines. A spokesman for the group said the 1,100-pound creature, which died while struggling in the fishermen's net, was butchered in nearby Donsol. There are only 40 other recorded encounters with the creatures.

(Note: Please disable your pop-up blocker)

The 1,100-pound 13-foot megamouth died while struggling in the fishermen's net on March 30 off Burias island in the central Philippines. It was taken to nearby Donsol in Sorsogon province, where it was butchered and eaten, said Gregg Yan, spokesman for WWF-Philippines.
Yan said a WWF Donsol Project Manager Elson Aca took pictures of the megamouth and tried to dissuade the fishermen from eating it. Shark meat is the main ingredient in a local delicacy.
The first megamouth was discovered in Hawaii in 1976, prompting scientists to create an entirely new family and genus of sharks. The megamouths are docile filter-feeders with wide, blubbery mouths. Yan said the Burias megamouth's stomach revealed it was feeding on shrimp larvae.

http://news.aol.com/article/megamout...aught%2F417186

I love the fact that he ate it, don't you?
:haha:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ali.
04-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Were they aware that it was extremely rare?

:|

Woodrow
04-07-2009, 08:22 PM
As sad as it sounds I almost have to laugh. Reminded me of an experiences I once had with a Philipine family. they had caught a rather large amphiuma (An eel like Amphibian-not endangered, just unusual) over 1 meter long. I wanted it for my aquarium. I paid them a few dollars for it and was told to come back in an hour and they would have it ready for me.

I came back, they had it ready---fried and on a platter of rice

Muezzin
04-08-2009, 05:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ali.
Were they aware that it was extremely rare?

:|
If they were, wouldn't they just find it tastier?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ali.
04-08-2009, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
If they were, wouldn't they just find it tastier?
What, like a taste of victory?

"I'm killing a species. Hooray!"

Anyway, reading the article a little more carefully this time, I don't think they were aware:

format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
The World Wildlife Fund said Tuesday that a rare megamouth shark, seen above on March 30, was accidentally caught and later eaten in the Philippines.
Probably the wrong word to use.. I'd be baffled if anyone accidentally caught some rare species instead of trout.

Güven
04-08-2009, 05:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
As sad as it sounds I almost have to laugh. Reminded me of an experiences I once had with a Philipine family. they had caught a rather large amphiuma (An eel like Amphibian-not endangered, just unusual) over 1 meter long. I wanted it for my aquarium. I paid them a few dollars for it and was told to come back in an hour and they would have it ready for me.

aww that's soo sad, what did you do with it ? :exhausted

جوري
04-08-2009, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

:haha: ;D ;D ;D ;D

maybe you should have been more specific in how you wanted it.. lololol
I learned that lesson the hard way once when I prayed that Allah swt gives me nothing less than a hundred on my Organic chem test.. as it turns out this particular prof. liked to score out of 150 hehehehehe

:w:

ardianto
04-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Eating or trading rare animals is oftenly happen in third world countries.
That is not because they don't care, but because they don't know.
They are uneducated people.

جوري
04-08-2009, 06:22 PM
well, the fact that he found and caught it, doesn't make it automatically public property..
obviously eating sharks and predator type animals is forbidden in Islam and this is in fact a loss to the scientific community and aficionados alike-- he really is entitled to do with the fish as he pleases.. I think the article is written in such a way to embarrass this poor fisherman from a choice he has made.. but in all likelihood this isn't just his livelihood this is perhaps as well his source of food...

I don't blame him, I found it unusual especially with him discussing the contents of its stomach.. meh what can you do, it was amusing at best and brought my attention to a creature I didn't know existed =)

:w:

Muhaba
04-08-2009, 07:24 PM
yes it's great that he ate it! Allah gave him rizq.

ardianto
04-08-2009, 08:01 PM
I think my old post was incorrect. Ok, I write again.

Forum, maybe you don't understand why they eat a rare animal ?
That is because you live in rich countries. If you live in third world countries, I am sure you can understand.
One question from third world people. "Why rich countries people (White men)always aware to animals ?".
And in another side I hear rich countries people always complain "Why third world people never care to rare animal ?"

People in third world countries live in a clasical problem : Poverty. When they catch a rare animal, only two choices in their mind, eat or Sell for making money. In actualy they never thinking anything except how to get some food.

A similar case was happened in Indonesia few months ago. Same creature, megamouth shark. I saw it on my TV.
If govt know before those people kill that shark, that shark maybe can be saved. Unfortunately, it's too late.

Maybe you will ask me "Why don't you tell those people, don't kill a rare animal ?".
We often do that, but because they hungry they never hear us.

I think the only way to stop people kill rare animal is ....... they must free from poverty.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.