/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic axe

Suekichi
04-07-2009, 09:36 PM

Hello, I am doing some research and I happened upon this beautiful axe. I am wondering, where is it from? But more importantly, what do the inscriptions say?

http://www.mediamatic.net/page/19205/en

Hope to hear from any one of you. Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Suekichi
04-08-2009, 03:43 PM
nobody knows what the inscriptions say? imsad

Woodrow
04-08-2009, 03:52 PM
The ax looks Sarcen in design. The inscription is not making any sense to me. The characters look Arabic, but I do not recognize any of what is written. Could be my eyesight or simply a script I am not familiar with. But, the letters do not seem to be right.

S_87
04-08-2009, 03:56 PM
i can make out Ali?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
04-08-2009, 03:57 PM
I believe this is Persian and Allah swt knows best..
let's see if someone from Iran can answer your Q

:w:

Suekichi
04-08-2009, 04:05 PM
thanks guys, I appreciate it :thumbs_up

Woodrow
04-08-2009, 04:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
I believe this is Persian and Allah swt knows best..
let's see if someone from Iran can answer your Q

I believe you are correct. Looking closer, it does seem to be Farsi. But, I did not think Farsi was written in Arabic Characters until long after the Sarcens, and the ax appears to be Sarcen

Woodrow
04-08-2009, 04:13 PM
OOOps spelling error on my part should be Saracen. Term used for the Muslims in the Jerusalem region by the crusaders.

alcurad
04-08-2009, 04:49 PM
the blade has Ali oppositely-twice, one form right, then left-written on it, with an imitation of what was said to be how his sword looked like; a 'two' bladed sword, or a sword that had two 'heads'.
the inscription above that doesn't make much sense in Arabic, so I'm assuming it's Farsi. perhaps Ali been written gives credence to it. Ali was the cousin of the prophet, a distinguished leader known for his prowess in the battlefield, in tactics and more so in personal combat, never defeated in any of his duels, there are many legends surrounding him, especially among the Shiite sect.

جوري
04-08-2009, 05:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I believe you are correct. Looking closer, it does seem to be Farsi. But, I did not think Farsi was written in Arabic Characters until long after the Sarcens, and the ax appears to be Sarcen
:sl:

so funny I didn't even notice the inscription 'Ali' on the blades, I was rather looking at the part right above it, which has inscriptions as well...

Farsi uses Arabic alphabet with the exception of a few consonants, I believe one of the things they despise Arabs for.. It is funny how reading a previous post which suggested Arabs are superior, I hope to God the brother doesn't meet with some Persians since their alleged superiority seems to exceed that of Arabs, at least most of the Persians I have met with the exception of a couple (umma film) fellow being the 2nd :haha:

Suekichi
04-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Ok. This is great guys. Basically, this is a battle axe. And that's pretty much what I needed to know. just out of interest if you figure out the Farsi, that'd be cool :)

kthnx alot

alcurad
04-08-2009, 11:43 PM
a ceremonial one, with all that inscription and gilding. might do some damage though.

Forced_In
04-09-2009, 01:03 AM
assalmo alaikom

It seems to me that those writings are not actually original. Maybe they are
stuck to the axe for some place they used to keep it, the purple color may
tell us something here. Anyway it is a three line writing which within each line
there is a word and a number as :

"alay" 81 ( For the moment I can't figure out what the word is )
roof(top) 3
row 0

Alternatively those could be a sentence/ some words with some mysterious
numbers. The interesting thing about the axe is that it may be one of the
things that darvishes carry; Now I don't remember having seen any one of
them but I suppose they own some things called kashkool, tabar zin (axe), ...
Quite amusing people with strange philosophy I suppose.

Forced_In
04-09-2009, 08:03 PM
assalmo alaikom

format_quote Originally Posted by Suekichi
Ok. This is great guys. Basically, this is a battle
axe.
Well I think this is most likely not correct this is not for battle, rather is a
dervishes craft.

Apparently dervishes are considered sufiees. They live in extreme poverty
cause they don't want to make efforts to earn rizq, they are not beggers
either. So it has been up to people to feed and help them financially. They
travel to many places, usually on feet.

Unfortunately I suspect nowadays there are many people claim to be
dervish but in fact misuse the dervishes manners to earn money much more
than they need. Also these beggers possibly don't believe in religion too. I
think knowing about dervishes can give us some insight, though one might
not fully agree with what they do. For a few pics and information see this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dervish

ya haq.

sudais1
04-14-2009, 05:12 AM
as bro alcurad said
It says Ali
And the sword is Ali's sword
it was known as Zulfiqar or the two bladed
100% sure

burdenofbeing
04-14-2009, 04:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sudais1
as bro alcurad said
It says Ali
And the sword is Ali's sword
it was known as Zulfiqar or the two bladed
100% sure
you say the axe is a sword and you are 100% sure?
wow.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.