/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Washoe County School District will pay $400,000 to settle suit over Muslim head scarf

yasin ibn Ahmad
04-08-2009, 03:19 PM
السلام عليكم brothers and sisters,
I have just read this news and wanted to share.I want to hear your comments,especially of ones living in non-muslim countries.Here is the news.

Washoe County School District will pay $400,000 to settle suit over Muslim head scarf

April 8, 2009

The Washoe County School District has agreed to pay $400,000 to settle civil rights lawsuits involving a Muslim girl who dropped out of school after being bullied for wearing a head scarf and her religion.
Advertisement
Quantcast

Jana Elhifny will receive $350,000 in the settlement announced early Wednesday. Stephanie Hart, a non-Muslim who was ostracized when she befriended Elhifny at North Valleys High School and also left school will receive $50,000.

Elhifny and her family came to Reno from Egypt in 2003. In her lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court, she said she faced death threats and harassment, and that school administrators did nothing to stop it.

The monetary award will be paid by the district’s insurance carrier.

The district also agreed to work with lawyers on harassment and discrimination policies.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
04-11-2009, 08:36 PM
where do they get this kind of money, and why would anyone pay out so much over an issue like this?

Whatsthepoint
04-12-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm not sure about this. A lot of people find themselves ostracized for all kind of things, forcing them to leave their school or workplace, and get nothing.

Muezzin
04-13-2009, 01:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
I'm not sure about this. A lot of people find themselves ostracized for all kind of things, forcing them to leave their school or workplace, and get nothing.
Well, under British law at least, employees driven from their workplace by bullying of any sort would be entitled to compensation etc.

I'm not sure about school children. It's extremely sad that she was forced out of her school like this in the first place.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.