/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Osama's "Messages to the World"

Suekichi
04-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Hi, have any of you read it?

I am interested in getting some clearity on something. In the book Osama makes a statement that I'm slightly confused by.

What I'm concerned with is in the chapter entitled "To the Allies of America, November 12 2002". The second paragraph, first sentence:

"What Bush- the pharaoh of the age - is doing, killing our sons in Iraq.."

What does Osama mean by "killing our sons of Iraq"? Is he refering to the UN sanctions imposed on Iraq, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children?

And second, what does Osama mean by "the pharaoh of our time"? I'm not much of a historian, so I'm a little confused at that reference. Why would Osama compare Bush to a pharaoh?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
alcurad
04-08-2009, 11:53 PM
the pharaoh in the story of the prophet Moses as mentioned in the qur'an especially stresses how he was unjust and oppressive,'Pharaoh of our time' is a common description for despots in Arabic.

and you probably need to ask Osama what he meant by 'our sons':), I'd hazard a guess though, and say yes, it probably was the many children and adults who were killed throughout the wars & sanctions.

Suekichi
04-08-2009, 11:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
and you probably need to ask Osama what he meant by 'our sons':), I'd hazard a guess though, and say yes, it probably was the many children and adults who were killed throughout the wars & sanctions.
Yes, because there wasn't anything else really going on (officially, at least) between the US and Irag in 2002. It's gotta be that. But I have to be absolutely certain...

alcurad
04-09-2009, 12:01 AM
well the US was bombing Iraq before the second 'war', but yes, he probably meant the events before.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Suekichi
04-09-2009, 12:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
well the US was bombing Iraq before the second 'war', but yes, he probably meant the events before.
I think he probably did too.

Now I'm interested in what you just wrote, the second 'war'. what do you mean by that?

Suekichi
04-09-2009, 12:07 AM
and while I'm at it. do you know what the conditions (if any) were put on Saddam if he wanted the sanctions lifted? did he have to remove himself from power..was that it?

alcurad
04-09-2009, 12:18 AM
not sure about the sanctions, the war never stopped, sanctions, bombing runs etc, so I put the parentheses.
research project?

Suekichi
04-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Yes, sort of :statisfie

Suekichi
04-09-2009, 12:58 AM
New question:

this one's a toughy. same paragraph, Osama says "(...) was enough for the sane leaders among you to distance themselves from this criminal gang"

who on earth is he refering to here? I mean, no country in the UN declined from operations in Afghanistan. So he must be refering to leaders outside the UN. So, maybe he's refering to Indonesia, Iran, some African countries perhaps? (what is his relation with Iran?)

If any one can specify who he might be talking about here, I'd be genuinely impressed.

(He speaks very much too the point. I get the feeling, not a single word is not carefully chosen. So, there must be a very good reason he points out these "sane leaders". Probably in an effort to make us learn by example (so to speak). this is why I find it important to discover who he is refering to.)

Suekichi
04-09-2009, 09:33 AM
No one's got any idea who these "sane leaders" are??

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.