/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep our faith in times of Calamity and Hardship?

muslima_byallah
04-09-2009, 02:13 AM
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

I bear witness that there is none worthy of worship except Allah. And I bear witness that Muhammad (peace be upon him) is His servant and His Final Messenger.:)

:sl:

How do you keep our faith in times of Calamity and Hardship?

Sometimes we are in a situation where it seems like “Everything is going wrong” imsad. Being patient and steadfast in times of hardship requires faith in Allah (swt)…….

• As Muslim we should understand that Allah (swt) may test us with various calamities. We sometimes feel depress and sad in these situations and wonder why Allah (swt) allow us to go through these calamities.

Allah (swt) says in the Quran that which means:

“Do people think that they will be left alone because they say: "We believe," and will not be tested. And We indeed tested those who were before them. And Allah will certainly make (it) known (the truth of) those who are true, and will certainly make (it) known (the falsehood of) those who are liars, (although Allah knows all that before putting them to test).” [Quran, Al-Ankaboot (The Spider) 29:2-3]

“Do you think that you will enter Paradise before Allah tests those of you who fought (in His Cause) and (also) tests those who are As-Sabirin (the patient ones, etc.)?” [Quran, Al-Imran (The Family of Imran) 3:142]

•Allah (swt) also tells us that we will be tested with good and evil, fear, hunger, lost of lives…ect

“You shall certainly be tried and tested in your wealth and properties and in your personal selves, and you shall certainly hear much that will grieve you from those who received the Scripture before you (Jews and Christians) and from those who ascribe partners to Allah, but if you persevere patiently, and become Al-Muttaqun (the pious ) then verily, that will be a determining factor in all affairs, and that is from the great matters.” [Quran, Al-Imran (The Family of Imran) 3:186]

“Be sure we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil) ……”[Quran, Al-Baqarah (The Cow) 2:155]

“Everyone is going to taste death, and We shall make a trial of you with evil and with good, and to Us you will be returned.……”[Quran, Al-Anbiya (The Prophets) 21:35]

•When we are in the middle of a calamity we should always remember Allah (swt) promise us that he will not burden us with more than we have the strength to bear

But those who believe and work righteousness,- no burden do We place on any soul, but that which it can bear,- they will be Companions of the Garden, therein to dwell (for ever). [Quran, Al-Araf (The Heights) 7:42]

Allah burdens not a person beyond his scope. He gets reward for that (good) which he has earned, and he is punished for that (evil) which he has earned. [Quran, Al-Baqarah (The Cow) 2:286]

•As muslims we should hope for the help of Allah (swt) , and never feel deprived of Allah (swt) mercy.

Allah says in the Quran that which means:

Or do ye think that ye shall enter the Garden (of bliss) without such (trials) as came to those who passed away before you? they encountered suffering and adversity, and were so shaken in spirit that even the Messenger and those of faith who were with him cried: "When (will come) the help of Allah?" Ah! Verily, the help of Allah is (always) near! [Quran, Al-Baqarah (The Cow) 2:214]

In addition, prophet Yacob (Jacob, AS) said to his sons:
“……..and never give up hope of Allah's Mercy. Certainly no one despairs of Allah's Mercy, except the people who disbelieve." [Quran, Yusuf (Joseph) 12:87]

•What can we do in times of Calamities and Hardship?

1) Remember Allah in abundance

“Therefore remember Me (by praying, glorifying, etc.). I will remember you, and be grateful to Me (for My countless Favours on you) and never be ungrateful to Me.” [Quran, Al-Baqarah (The Cow) 2:152]

There are AUTHENTIC DHIKR and Suplications that the Prophet (saw) made in various situations…..

There are many many Duas in the Quran…….

2) Seeking Allah (swt) help with patience and prayer
Only by the help of Allah (swt) can the calamity be removed. With regards to this, Allah (swt) says in the Quran that which means:

"And if Allah touches you with harm, none can remove it but He, and if He touches you with good, then He is Able to do all things.” [Quran, Al-Anaam (The Cattle) 6:17]

And seek help in patience and As-Salat (the prayer) and truly it is extremely heavy and hard except for the true believers in Allah. (They are those) who are certain that they are going to meet their Lord, and that unto Him they are going to return. [Quran, Al-Baqarah (The Cow) 2:45-46]

“….but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere, Who say, when afflicted with calamity: "To Allah We belong, and to Him is our return":-They are those on whom (Descend) blessings from Allah, and Mercy, and they are the ones that receive guidance” [Quran, Al-Baqarah (The Cow) 2:155-157]

3)Always trust and believe in Allah (swt):

Say: "Nothing shall ever happen to us except what Allah has ordained for us. He is our Maula (Lord, Helper and Protector)." And in Allah let the believers put their trust. [Quran, Tawbah (Repentance) 9:51]

If Allah helps you, none can overcome you: If He forsakes you, who is there, after that, that can help you? in Allah, then, Let believers put their trust. [Quran, Al-Imran (The Family of Imran) 3:160]

”……. And Allah has full power and control over His Affairs, but most of men know not.” [Quran, Yusuf (Joseph) 12:21]

4)Remember Allah (swt) promises to us when we have faith and we are patient. And verily Allah (swt) says the truth.

“Whoever works righteousness, man or woman, and has Faith, verily, to him will We give a new Life, a life that is good and pure and We will bestow on such their reward according to the best of their actions. “[Quran, An-Nahl (The Bee) 16:97]

So verily, with the hardship, there is relief, Verily, with the hardship, there is relief (i.e. there is one hardship with two reliefs, so one hardship cannot overcome two reliefs). [Quran, Inshirah (The Expansion) 94:5-6]

And be steadfast in patience; for verily Allah will not suffer the reward of the righteous to perish. [Quran, Hud 11:115]

“…….Only those who are patient shall receive their rewards in full, without reckoning." [Quran, Az-Zumar (The Crowds) 39:10

5)Read the Stories in the Quran and see how the Messengers, Prophets and other Pious Muslims and their Companions showed faith in Allah during extreme hardship and calamities. (IT MAY MAKE US FEEL BETTER WHEN WE REALIZE THAT SOME OF OUR PIOUS PREDECESSORS WENT THROUGH “EXTREME HARDSHIP”)...... AND MAINTAIN COMPLETE FAITH IN ALLAH (SWT).

Example 1: In the Quran story of David and Goliath, Allah says that which means:

Then when Talut (Saul) set out with the army, he said: "Verily! Allah will try you by a river. So whoever drinks thereof, he is not of me, and whoever tastes it not, he is of me, except him who takes (thereof) in the hollow of his hand." Yet, they drank thereof, all, except a few of them. So when he had crossed it (the river), he and those who believed with him, they said: "We have no power this day against Jalut (Goliath) and his hosts." But those who knew with certainty that they were to meet their Lord, said: "How often a small group overcame a mighty host by Allah's Leave?" And Allah is with As-Sabirin (the patient ones, etc.). [Quran, Al-Baqarah (The Cow) 2:249]

OR Example 2: When Pharaoh was threatening to punish the magicians for their faith in Allah (swt):

(Pharaoh) said: "Believe ye in Him before I give you permission? Surely this must be your leader, who has taught you magic! be sure I will cut off your hands and feet on opposite sides, and I will have you crucified on trunks of palm-trees: so shall ye know for certain, which of us can give the more severe and the more lasting punishment!"
They said: "Never shall we regard thee as more than the Clear Signs that have come to us, or than Him Who created us! so decree whatever thou desirest to decree: for thou canst only decree (touching) the life of this world. [Quran, Ta Ha 20:71-72]

Example 3: Prophet Yacoob (Jacob AS) and his sons

Further he said: "O my sons! enter not all by one gate: enter ye by different gates. Not that I can profit you aught against Allah (with my advice): None can command except Allah. On Him do I put my trust: and let all that trust put their trust on Him." [Quran, Yusuf (Joseph) 12:67]

6)Study the Seerah of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and his Companions (May Allah be please with them) and see how they also showed strong FAITH in Allah(swt) under SEVERE HARDSHIP.
Those (i.e. believers) unto whom the people (hypocrites) said, "Verily, the people (pagans) have gathered against you (a great army), therefore, fear them." But it (only) increased them in Faith, and they said: "Allah (Alone) is Sufficient for us, and He is the Best Disposer of affairs (for us)." [Quran, Al-Imran (The Family of Imran) 3:173]

THESE STORIES FROM THE QURAN AND SUNNAH ARE USUALLY VERY INSPIRING………:)

ANY OTHER SUGGESTION CAN BE MADE HERE INSHALLAH BASED ON EVIDENCE FROM THE QURAN AND SUNNAH…..

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mikayeel
04-09-2009, 07:30 PM
:w:

THanks for the article :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.